No announcement yet.

Neftali Alvarez 6'1 PG 2018 to Mercer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe he is waiting for us to sign one more player to ensure we don’t use the last scholarship on another PG

Comment

• Slykryck
      Slykryck commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve wondered the same thing. Coming in with an experienced PG (ie. Transfer) puts you only 1-2 years before before being the most experienced PG. Coming in with another freshman PG means a battle for minutes/starting role from day 1 until someone leaves.

• Okay, so let's get Bryant signed and bring in young Mr. Alvarez. Not the blockbuster signings that some of us would prefer but we've all come to love 3G because of his shrewd evaluation of talent and ability to find guys that want to play angry.

Comment

• Alvarez and Bryant works for me.

Comment

• Alvarez and Torres.

Comment

• Has anyone deciphered Wu Dr's riddle of the PG recruit? While I never figured it out, I just assumed whatever it contained meant it was a done deal.

Comment

• He's retweeting a lot of Shocker tweets today.

Comment

• BOBB
              BOBB commented
              Editing a comment
              Retweeting/Likes seem to be a pretty reliable set of tea leaves.

• choida
              choida commented
              Editing a comment
              He's retweeted and liked everything coming his way to be honest

• Stickboy46
              Stickboy46 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yea he is a little retweet crazy

• Alvarez and any of Torres, Cheese, or Burton would make me pretty happy.
            "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Alverez Bryant Torress

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                Maybe he is waiting for us to sign one more player to ensure we don’t use the last scholarship on another PG
                you are always solid.
                "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Why is Alverez afraid of a little competition?

Comment

• BOBB
                    BOBB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Seems like getting 10 minutes or so a game behind a JUCO is a pretty ideal situation for a freshman PG. See Ty Taylor if trial by fire sounds preferable.

• Windiwu
                    Windiwu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Throwing a freshman in the fire isn't the best way to our more mature minds but not sure if the 18 yr old thinks that way until it actually happens.:)

• wu_shizzle
                    wu_shizzle commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Because you don't move from Miami to Wichita with little hope of playing time. He could be great, but there seems to be unknown reasons his recruiting didn't improve this year.

• Bump

Comment

• Torres is a 6' 3" point but he looks like a pretty typical combo guard to me. And the fact that he will have only 2 years should mitigate the competition problem for Alvarez. If I were in his shoes I would want limited minutes my freshman year to acclimate to the new level of competition. When Frank Mason showed up at KU he had had an additional year of prep school under his belt and looked like Tarzan standing next to Connor Frankamp... although both were about the same height, to me it was pretty obvious who had the edge when it came to the strength and confidence to play point. Alvarez ought to realize that an initial year of limited minutes could be very helpful come year two.

Comment

• Originally posted by N Crestway View Post
                      Torres is a 6' 3" point but he looks like a pretty typical combo guard to me. And the fact that he will have only 2 years should mitigate the competition problem for Alvarez. If I were in his shoes I would want limited minutes my freshman year to acclimate to the new level of competition. When Frank Mason showed up at KU he had had an additional year of prep school under his belt and looked like Tarzan standing next to Connor Frankamp... although both were about the same height, to me it was pretty obvious who had the edge when it came to the strength and confidence to play point. Alvarez ought to realize that an initial year of limited minutes could be very helpful come year two.
                      Yeah, but Alvarez is point, whereas Frankamp is/was more of an undersized combo. No?

A better comparison for the proper grooming of a freshman point at Wichita St. would be this guy...

Comment

• Shockm
                        Shockm commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Alvarez = Fred? Maybe

• WuDrWu
                        WuDrWu commented
                        Editing a comment
                        There's only ONE Fred VanVleet.

• Originally posted by N Crestway View Post
                      Torres is a 6' 3" point but he looks like a pretty typical combo guard to me. And the fact that he will have only 2 years should mitigate the competition problem for Alvarez. If I were in his shoes I would want limited minutes my freshman year to acclimate to the new level of competition. When Frank Mason showed up at KU he had had an additional year of prep school under his belt and looked like Tarzan standing next to Connor Frankamp... although both were about the same height, to me it was pretty obvious who had the edge when it came to the strength and confidence to play point. Alvarez ought to realize that an initial year of limited minutes could be very helpful come year two.
                      I'm not sure what you mean by typical combo guard. His Assists average was 8.1 and his Turnover numbers were around 3.3. That puts him at about a 2.5 Assists/Turnover average which is quite good. While Torres can probably play both guard spots, he sounds like what a team is looking for in a Point Guard to me.

Comment

• I wonder if WSU might be trying to guide Alvarez to Sunrise for next year, and that he's hesitating for that reason. Otherwise, it seems clear that this is his best, highest profile opportunity.

Pure speculation on my part, of course, but probably at least plausible.

Comment

Working...
                        X