Neftali Alvarez 6'1 PG 2018 to Mercer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by choida View Post
    His Twitter following and pinned tweet and 24/7 Crystal ball predictions sure lean certain ways
    Didn't the Crystal ball show Lomax going to Memphis at one point?

Comment

• Who is Lomax?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
        He's competed in AAU in the summertime, so it's not like he hasn't been evaluated against top flight HS competition.
        To ShockingButTrue:

Referring to Alvarez, You have said that “this is our guy” and that you think “he will be real good”. I take it that you think he is either Marshall’s Top Target or that WSU will not get their Top Target.

Question: Which one is true?

Recently, the WSU Eagle beat reporter stated that Akingo was the Shocker’s #1 target, and we know that recruiting services rate Akingo significantly higher than Alvarez.

Additionally you have stated that Alvarez has offers from Virginia and several other highly regarded schools. I’m sure that those offers were “conditional offers”, because he has only visited Akron, and Arkansas State, in addition to WSU.

Questions:
        1. Why hasn’t he visited these other highly regarded schools like Virginia if they hold him in such high esteem?
        2. Why hasn’t he pulled the commitment trigger if WSU is so sold and he is so sold?
        3. Is WSU holding back or is he?
        4. Has WSU identified Alvarez or Akingo as their Top Target?

i by no means am saying that Alvarez won’t come to WSU or that he will be a good player. However, if he does come to Wichita, imo, we didn’t get our Top Target.

Comment

• Firstly, what's the difference between an offer and a "conditional offer?"

24/7 didn't specify in their list of known offers to Alvarez.

We already got our top target. Then we lost him...

Comment

• It was indeed sour news to lose ALo and now we could play against him 10-12 times. However, Coach Marshall has a special ability to find and sign really solid guards. The old adage teaches some folk can take a lemon in life, not pucker up, but rather daily smooth shaving by a sharp discerning recruiter, plus persistent hard work= lemonade=continued Shocker success.
            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• In my eyes who ever we get is our current number 1 target

Comment

• Recruits only have 5 (or maybe 6) visits to schools that they are allowed, and schools give out verbal offers 4 years (or more) early (probably give out offers up over 50-75 for each class), so just because an offer is extended, the relationship has to move farther along and both sides have to agree before their relationship moves ahead to scheduled visits, etc. Players can visit on their own dime if they wish. When 247 lists offers, my guess is that it is what the players give them or they hear from credible sources (high school or AAU coaches, etc). Since Alvarez has only visited Arkansas State, Akron, and WSU, I would not list those other offers to Virginia, etc. as serious enough to warrant a visit, or my next question would be why didn't he visit the other big offers he had?

Our beat reporter listed that Akingo became our new priority. However, I think that there are 3-4 other point guard recruits that we are fighting other High Div. 1 schools for out of the list we have that would be higher than Alvarez. Just my take on the information we are given. We will see who we will end up with in the next couple of weeks. It could even be someone we don't know about yet. I never saw anything about Carter until less than a week before he signed, and he was a Juco All American.

Comment

• Recruiting is a game with in a game... I'm sure money exchanges hands through third parties... I'm just happy Marshall at least tries his best to do it the right way...

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                    Recruits only have 5 (or maybe 6) visits to schools that they are allowed, and schools give out verbal offers 4 years (or more) early (probably give out offers up over 50-75 for each class), so just because an offer is extended, the relationship has to move farther along and both sides have to agree before their relationship moves ahead to scheduled visits, etc. Players can visit on their own dime if they wish. When 247 lists offers, my guess is that it is what the players give them or they hear from credible sources (high school or AAU coaches, etc). Since Alvarez has only visited Arkansas State, Akron, and WSU, I would not list those other offers to Virginia, etc. as serious enough to warrant a visit, or my next question would be why didn't he visit the other big offers he had?

Our beat reporter listed that Akingo became our new priority. However, I think that there are 3-4 other point guard recruits that we are fighting other High Div. 1 schools for out of the list we have that would be higher than Alvarez. Just my take on the information we are given. We will see who we will end up with in the next couple of weeks. It could even be someone we don't know about yet. I never saw anything about Carter until less than a week before he signed, and he was a Juco All American.
                    But why were those offers listed? And where did they get their information from? Just curious.

Comment

• Shockm
                      Shockm commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Because they are legitimate offers but teams are only allowed 13 scholarships to give and layers are only allowed one scholarship so both sides have to agree with the final facts and decisions. I don’t understand exactly how it works but when the school extends PAID visits, which are limited (numbers wise), they have to be able to control who visits and how many. As I said before, it’s no accident that he was offered by numerous high majors (not everyone gets that much attention) but only visited Arkansas State and Akron. Did Georgia Tech and Virginia rescind their offers? I dunno.

• ShockingButTrue
                      ShockingButTrue commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What you said doesn't make sense because WSU has much more than 5 offers out there as of right now, with only one spot open.

• Didn’t Doc already tell us that AF was coming? Or was my decoder ring broken?
                    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Jhook89
                      Jhook89 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That’s how I took it. I think we will have another spot open though. If I was a betting man I would say that SHJ will be gone too. His playing time over the season almost mirrors Daishon Smiths. He as a debilitating situation where you can’t count on him to be able to play. It’s probabky best for the young man to go somewhere where his anxiety might not be as high.

• WSUwatcher
                      WSUwatcher commented
                      Editing a comment
                      (a) How does this relate to Alvarez; and (b) who the heck is AF -- Andres Feliz?

I'm not going to speculate about specific guys, hook, but I would also be surprised if the Shocks end up with only one spot open this spring (and maybe summer, for that matter).

• Wuzee
                      Wuzee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      New theory: AF = A Foreigner. That technically covers his bases with Feliz, Alvarez, and even applies to Torres and Akinjo if you're a Trump supporter.
                      Last edited by Wuzee; March 27, 2018, 08:42 AM.

• Let's get this thread back on track...

Comment

• Originally posted by choida View Post
                      Let's get this thread back on track...

https://twitter.com/alvarez2neftali/...035244544?s=21
                      What I want to know is which of these offers is "conditional" and which ones are "unconditional?"

Comment

• AndShock
                        AndShock commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yep. Purdue or Virginia would seem to be no brainers if he’s got offers from them.

• Virginia Wichita State Purdue based on new.. Playing time... Style of play... Coach he likes

Comment

• A player almost never signs without visiting. A visit to Purdue, or Virginia would indicate things are getting serious. Or perhaps a tweet that he's decided to come to Wichita State.

A possibility that we haven't mentioned is is that he likes Arkansas State coach so much that he's decided to pass on Purdue, Virginia, and WSU. And the beat goes on.

Comment

• I'm hedging my bets that this gentleman will occupy one of the three current scholarships open.
                          Last edited by choida; April 4, 2018, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X