Neftali Alvarez 6'1 PG 2018 to Mercer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
    They would have a year behind SHJ, 2 behind Austin and ? Behind Landry. We could use two
    ideally not 2 in the same class though.

Comment

The concern with Neftali, from what I've been told, is a pretty significant language barrier. I have not heard the young man speak but this is coming from a fairly reliable source. A complicated offense and English being a second language is not a great mix for a Gregg Marshall point guard. Kid is a good player though.
      I have been hesitant to share this because I thought Neftali would probably be playing elsewhere but with ALo wavering he could be a realistic second option.

Comment

Perhaps Neftali to SCA if Lomax signs?
        Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
          Perhaps Neftali to SCA if Lomax signs?
          That might not be a bad idea, because we'll likely need another point guard in the 2019 class. Coaching staff may be able to pull that off if he's not set on playing immediately at Arkansas State or UMass.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
            They would have a year behind SHJ, 2 behind Austin and ? Behind Landry. We could use two
            Mathematically, they could make it work. However, if you look ahead, if Landry decided not to go to the NBA, it probably would mean that Reaves or CJ would have to leave. I think they will sign the 6 best players with a possibility of 1 additional Juno (now) and maybe fill in 1 or 2 more in the Spring. I guess Samajae could also be a candidate to leave.
            Last edited by shockmonster; October 7, 2017, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
              Mathematically, they could make it work. However, if you look ahead, if Landry decided not to go to the NBA, it probably would mean that Reaves or CJ would have to leave. I think they will sign the 6 best players with a possibility of 1 additional Juno (now) and maybe fill in 1 or 2 more in the Spring. I guess Samajae could also be a candidate to leave.
              Stupid talk. No one has to leave. We play everyone. Don't cause anxiety when none is needed.

Comment

Bottom line is that if Shamet and McDuffie stay, the 2018 freshman aren’t likely to see too many minutes. Shamet, Haynes-Jones, Reaves, Keyser, R Brown, McDuffie, Midtgaard, and Echineque will almost definitely be in the 8 man rotation....and we will be very, very good.
                Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                  Bottom line is that if Shamet and McDuffie stay, the 2018 freshman aren’t likely to see too many minutes. Shamet, Haynes-Jones, Reaves, Keyser, R Brown, McDuffie, Midtgaard, and Echineque will almost definitely be in the 8 man rotation....and we will be very, very good.
                  . If Shamet has anothe year like last year, he’s done. Odds are it will be better.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    . If Shamet has anothe year like last year, he’s done. Odds are it will be better.
                    With 2 injuries in 3 years, I think the NBA backs off just a bit because of health concerns. That's all it takes for Shamet to get another year after this year.

How many first-year NBA players make rosters? 20? 30? That's 20 or 30 players in the entire world. I like Shamet. He's a special player, but I don't think he's one of the 20 or 30 best players in the world at this point in time. If he doesn't project as a first-round pick, it's not an easy decision to declare.
                    Last edited by Aargh; October 7, 2017, 10:00 PM.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                      With 2 injuries in 3 years, I think the NBA backs off just a bit because of health concerns. That's all it takes for Shamet to get another year after this year.

How many first-year NBA players make rosters? 20? 30? That's 20 or 30 players in the entire world. I like Shamet. He's a special player, but I don't think he's one of the 20 or 30 best players in the world at this point in time. Of he doesn't project as a first-round pick, it's not an easy decision to declare.
                      All the first round picks are gaurunteed roster spots. Generally another 10 second round picks make it...so about 40 players. Still, it’s not certain if Shamet will be back, and I think McDuffie will have to stay after missing 12 or so games.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

How many first-year NBA players make rosters? 20? 30? That's 20 or 30 players in the entire world. I like Shamet. He's a special player, but I don't think he's one of the 20 or 30 best players in the world at this point in time. If he doesn't project as a first-round pick, it's not an easy decision to declare.
                        To be honest... the biggest deciding factor might be his mom and getting a degree. He will have probably graduated after his R-Jr year. That might be enough to push it over the edge for another year

Comment

Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                          Stupid talk. No one has to leave. We play everyone. Don't cause anxiety when none is needed.
                          Either you didn't read well or maybe I wasn't clear. Let me be more clear so you understand what I was saying regarding why they won't sign 2 freshmen Point and will only sign 6 in the fall. We can only have 13 scholarships. We lose 6 Seniors.

We return Rod Brown, A.Mittgard, SJH, Reaves, CJ, Landry, and Markis. We already have 4 commitments. If we get one from a Point,we have one left for a wing forward ( that would make 6). 6+7=13.

As I said, the only way we sign 7 is if we are sure MM or Landry are leaving because if they choose to stay, one of the remaining five listed above has to leave. Therefore, I don't see us signing more than 6 in November. If we become sure MM or Landry are leaving, we will try to sign a 7th or 8th in the spring.

Not stupid talk. Just common sense. If you read my response to a comment and the comments prior to that, it was more clear to follow the train of thought.

Comment

Agree, we won't sign 2 freshman points

Comment

Either you didn't read well or maybe I wasn't clear. Let me be more clear so you understand what I was saying regarding why they won't sign 2 freshmen Point and will only sign 6 in the fall. We can only have 13 scholarships. We lose 6 Seniors.

We return Rod Brown, A.Mittgard, SJH, Reaves, CJ, Landry, and Markis. We already have 4 commitments. If we get one from a Point,we have one left for a wing forward ( that would make 6). 6+7=13.

As I said, the only way we sign 7 is if we are sure MM or Landry are leaving because if they choose to stay, one of the remaining five listed above has to leave. Therefore, I don't see us signing more than 6 in November. If we become sure MM or Landry are leaving, we will try to sign a 7th or 8th in the spring.

Not stupid talk. Just common sense. If you read my response to a comment and the comments prior to that, it was more clear to follow the train of thought.
                              We had one open scholarship in 2017 as of November last year, but signed two prospects in the fall. That was 14 players planning on being on scholarship at WSU last year. Marshall will sign the number he wants to whether anyone is planning on leaving or not.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

BTW, I really like Neftali as a player! He’s skilled with the ball and sneaky quick.
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X