2019 Recruiting: All You Need To Know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
    Well, since someone is going to do it, it might was well be me to start it if off.

Who are your morning line favorites to both step up and bow out this coming season, to make way for the extra signees?*

* - This is not a hit piece/slander or an attack on any of the new player’s talents, ablities, or attitudes. This is simply a discussion based on the facts that tell us WSU will be signing more players than scholarships available.
    This is under the assumption that all the players we have are receiving full rides on the university's "dime". While they all have the skills that command all expenses paid, there may be some players that qualify for Pell Grants and therefore the University can split scholarship money between them.

If, for example, all 12 players qualified for Pell Grants that paid at least half of the players college expenses, the university would only have to use 6 scholarships to make it "Full Rides."

Comment

While it would be very unlikely for that to be the case, there could always be a few of them qualifying for other assistance

Comment

Basketball is full ride only.
        Livin the dream

Comment

Thank you for the information. I read two articles and it never mentioned head count sports such as D1 basketball. I finally found one and I stand corrected!

My experience was 30yrs ago and not Div 1

Comment

I agree with others here that it is far too early for speculation as to who might not be here next season but I think many are also looking at it from a negative connotation, as that is typically our experience. So, one could actually speculate that 3G is still shaving because he is of the firm belief that he has at least one player on the roster that is destined for an early departure, not because he doesn't fit in with the program, but that he is actually a prime candidate to move on to the league. We don't have anyone on the roster who fits that mold, at least from the traditional one-and-done FIVE star perspective, but there has been a bit of speculation that one of our recruits is far more talented than anyone knows and perhaps Gregg is ensuring that he is well prepared for that eventuality.

Comment

Two guys will transfer. They always do, and not just here, either.

Comment

• wufan
                wufan commented
                Editing a comment
                Absolutely. About eight players get good court time. One or two will red-shirt and three or four will either feel that they are in a good position to compete later or not at all...and that’s just the basketball side of things.

I wonder what kind of commitment was made to Tate Busse. Is he in the Ron Baker category of RS one year with a scholarship awaiting?
              ​​​​​
              Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                I wonder what kind of commitment was made to Tate Busse. Is he in the Ron Baker category of RS one year with a scholarship awaiting?
                ​​​​​
                I'm not totally sure but I don't think so. I think he is more in the category of J.R. Simon. A preferred walk on. We guarantee you a spot on the roster but no guarantee of a scholarship in the future. Although he has the opportunity to earn one but that may or may not happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                  Well, since someone is going to do it, it might was well be me to start it if off.

Who are your morning line favorites to both step up and bow out this coming season, to make way for the extra signees?*

* - This is not a hit piece/slander or an attack on any of the new player’s talents, ablities, or attitudes. This is simply a discussion based on the facts that tell us WSU will be signing more players than scholarships available.
                  Foolishness, ST, and a lame excuse to boot. Encouraging that kind of random, uninformed speculation is about as defensible as a mainstream media outlet waiting for someone else to publish an unsupportable story online (see, e.g., the notorious "Steele dossier") and then evading their own standards by reporting on what the other guys put out. Booooooo!

Comment

• Shock Top
                    Shock Top commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You’re fair to boo me, and I’m fair to ask for wild speculation.

Again, this is like betting the futures market, not calling for a Senate judiciary committee hearing.

That’s the off-season for you though.

Could the Shox potentially go as many as three scholarship offers over, with Etienne, Butts, and Mitchell??

Would make this season a "Hunger Games" like competition for spots.

That would have to give the newbies even more incentive to ball out and earn their spot
                  The Assman

Comment

Memphis will have 6 Top 50 C/O 2019 recruits in attendance for their Memphis Madness tonight. Justin Timberlake and Drake will be performing.

James Wiseman #1
                    Precious Achiuwa #8
                    Trendon Watford #26
                    Jahmius Ramsey #33
                    Boogie Ellis #35
                    DJ Jeffries #47

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                      WSUwatcher commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well, WSU used to play Drake, right? So now Drake's playing Memphis instead.

After Memphis, he'll probably sneak quietly into Koch Arena to watch the Shocker scrimmage.

Will be interesting to watch this space in the coming months.
                    The Assman

Comment

• WuShocker2006
                      WuShocker2006 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Do you say that because of possible transfers?

• Shock Top
                      Shock Top commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I expect us to go over 1 or 2 more schollies.

National LOI early signing period for the class of 2019 starts on Wednesday, November 14th and runs through the following Wednesday, November 21st.

Comment

Well, enough time has gone by for me to identify where I rank the 11 players coming back. I have categorized them as such “keepers”, “safe”, “hot seat”, and “(likely) looking elsewhere”

Keepers: ES, JB, DD, MU, JE, TA

No need to go into detail on these guys. All great prices to work with.

Safe: RT

Ricky is still coming into his own and hasn’t shown yet what kind of player they were hoping they were getting. Since he is a Jr and WSU’s track record with JUCO guards, he will be here for both years for sure. I expect to see continued improvement.

Hot Seat: RB, IC

Both players either have good skill or good athleticism, but not both. Both players have potential, but both have yet to prove (IMO) that they should be seeing any significant amount of minutes.

Looking Elsewhere: CM, AM

No idea what’s going on with Chance. Dude has been kind of a mystery since he showed up. He obviously has offensive skills, but if he can’t get in even over other struggling players, he must be deep in the doghouse.

Love the big man. Seems like a great kid. Just isn’t cut out for basketball at the level. Few are. He can find somewhere where he will get to play a lot more. It just might have to be a few rungs down the ladder.

I would be surprised if WSU doesn’t go 3-4 over. 5 wouldn’t surprise me either.

The Assman

Comment

Isn’t this just an analysis of who’s in the rotation?

I think RB is safe if he wants to return. Lots of minutes available.

Not going to be a lot of available minutes at the 5 if JE and MU are healthy. IPBC and AM both have a ton of upside.

Chance is currently behind Stevenson, Dennis, and Burton at the three (all freshman). Allen will join that group next year.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• ShockTalk
                          ShockTalk commented
                          Editing a comment
                          ES plays the 2 when SHJ isn't on the floor and he will likely be the starting 2 next year. DD and JB will need to improve there 3pt shot if they're to challenge ES for more minutes at the 2. I have a feeling a certain freshman will also need to be reckoned with for them to get minutes at the 2.
                      Working...
                      X