No announcement yet.

Grant Sherfield 6'2 G 2019 a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing on ESPN2. Just tuned in and they mentioned he has been quiet in first half. Going to halftime now.

Comment

Team they were playing had Vernon Maxwell and Juean Howard’s son, who is a freshman.

They pullled within 3 with about 2 1/2 minutes to go and Sherfield went tough layup, tough layup, mid range jumper, and then 2 free throws to help them pull away.

Announcers mentioned that we are on him hard.

Comment

This is a guy we need bad

Comment

• ShockTalk
          ShockTalk commented
          Editing a comment
          Think we'll have 3 PGs in one class? Of course we know one can also play the 2, maybe this one can play the 3.

We badly need guards that can play ball. The guys currently playing could use some competition for those spots.

Comment

• ShockTalk
          ShockTalk commented
          Editing a comment
          My mistake. I thought that was what Tyson Etienne and Noah Fernandes were coming to do.

• Shockm
          Shockm commented
          Editing a comment
          We have enough players by the numbers at every position. Maybe stop recruiting?

• ShockTalk
          ShockTalk commented
          Editing a comment
          Never stop recruiting. Signing players over other signees (pural) at the same position has a questionable look at best.

I feel confident that we have two good guards already coming in with one (Etteinne) very near same measurable as Grant. So I would prefer to go in another direction and get some finishers in this class. If he decided to join the Shockers I would welcome him!

Comment

We have a 4* who is a combo guard and a 3* who is a point guard. From what I read the 4* is more important prepared to play physically. Although we think he is, we are not totally sure if the 3* is physically prepared to play in the American. We have an opportunity to possibly recruit a 5* combo guard. We may lose a homesick and/or unhappy player to transfer (you never know for sure). It’s early but I think it’s smart to recruit the 5* combo guard. You can bet that Top programs like Duke will.

Comment

ESPN said in this last game that Sherfield wants to play the 2. He does not want to play point.

Comment

• Dan
              Dan commented
              Editing a comment
              we need a good 2 guard also. Tyson at the 1, Sherfield at the 2. These guys will provide a lot of competition for ES and DD (DD is more of a 3 anyway, IMO).

• flatlander
              flatlander commented
              Editing a comment
              If he can PLAY .... then I just want him on our team.

Etienne is not a PG. If anyone wants to look up his HS stats and try to convince me those are the stats of a PG, please go ahead and try. Marshall's 3-guard offense with FVV, Baker, and Cotton did pretty well.

Having 1 PG and 2 SG's on the floor seems to work better than having 2 SG's and a SF on the floor together. I'm starting to figure out that "combo guard" has one of two meanings. It's either adequate at both, or it's "can play" PG. The guy actually playing PG needs to be better than either "adequate" or "can play".
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
              Etienne is not a PG. If anyone wants to look up his HS stats and try to convince me those are the stats of a PG, please go ahead and try. Marshall's 3-guard offense with FVV, Baker, and Cotton did pretty well.

Having 1 PG and 2 SG's on the floor seems to work better than having 2 SG's and a SF on the floor together. I'm starting to figure out that "combo guard" has one of two meanings. It's either adequate at both, or it's "can play" PG. The guy actually playing PG needs to be better than either "adequate" or "can play".
              Noah and JB at PG might be sufficient. JB needs to get his shot going, but if he has guys at the 2 and 3 that CAN shoot it, then it should open up some driving lanes for him.

Comment

I’m not counting any 4* player out by his stat sheet. He’s playing a role on his present team and next year will be different. I don’t know his leadership skills but we’ve had scoring point guards learn the point. Landry was a good PG (not a consummate PG) but his stats in high school didn’t point to his being a future point guard. Same with Ragland. Maybe we won’t need Tyson to be a PG but players play themselves in and out of positions by their play. By the way, Aargh may be correct that Tyson isn’t and can’t play the position at all. Therefore, he wouldn’t be a combo guard as he is listed.
                Last edited by Shockm; January 29, 2019, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• Aargh
                  Aargh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Shamet's stats in HS didn't point to his being a PG. He played PG at WSU because there was no one else who could play the position. His stats in the NBA indicate he is an absolute stud when playing SG, which is obviously his "natural" position.

I'm not saying that Etienne is unable to play PG. What I am saying is that his maximum utilization would not be achieved by playing him in that position. Baker was capable of playing PG. He was probably at AA levels as a SG, and at all-Valley levels as a PG.

Baker was good at PG or better said, an adequate or better backup for a good team. Shamet was more effective and an adequate or better starter on a good team. If Etienne ends up starting, and makes others better around him on a Top 25 Team like Shamet, I will take it. Marshall spoke highly of Etienne the other day.

Comment

• WstateU
                  WstateU commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Could be coach speak, but coach Hurley (UCONN) commented favorably about the pair of guards we plucked from the NE. Marshall mentioned the comments on Monday’s coaches show.

• ShauXTyme
                  ShauXTyme commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I believe the reference to “Coach Hurley” was to Bob Hurley - Mc Duffie’s HS Coach, and Dad to UCONN’s Coach Hurley.

• Dan
                  Dan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not accurate. 3G said it was UConn coach Hurley is very familiar with our 2 New England area guards that are coming in and that they are both having really good seasons.

Shockers have been recruiting Grant since at least 2016. He's taken unofficial visits to campus at least twice before. Still, the fact that he is using one of his OV's on WSU is a good sign.

Comment

• Stickboy46
                  Stickboy46 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  One more reason to be REALLY loud Saturday.

OK, I understand this kid is local, but what are we allowed to do on an "official" visit? Pay his plane ticket? Buy his meals? Feed him at the team table? Buy him a game ticket to Koch?

Comment

U definitely go all in for this young man

Comment

• WstateU
                  WstateU commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just not all-in, Louisville style...

• 1972Shocker
                  1972Shocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't think Lynn would like that very much.

Someone tell Lindsted to go away.

If he goes to Wake Forest I'm going to assume he's picking coaches that are gonna get fired on purpose just so he can play the recruiting game a little longer.

Comment

Working...
                X