Top Five

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Five

Per coach Grant we have narrowed our search for '08 recruits to 5 and that list will probably be narrowed to 2 or 3. My guess on the 5 are: Anthony Brock, Anthony Miles, Adul Herrera, Montrell McDonald and Montarrio Haddock. The first two listed, I'm pretty confident. After that it's much harder.
    In the fast lane

I don't think Miles measures up. I like Brock much better, but still would rather have a HS PG. I like Soderberg better than Miles or Brock. And what ever happened to the Oak Hill Academy PG we were looking at? And that PG from Pittsburg, Pa. (I liked him too).

I don't think Herrera will measure up because he is too slow (and soft), coach wants players that can get up and down the court, all game. McDonald is getting looks from the Big Boys, so I am sure we will drop to the back burner with him.

Comment

I'd still like to think Beckham is in the mix. But I know alot would depend on UK and even GT. Brock would definitely be good I"m just not a big fan of bringing in another JUCO PG. I'd be fine with Miles as well but not overly excited. But I think he has plenty of potential. Herrera may be what we need in a JUCO post to give us some size and strength. It would really help the development of Stuts, Orukpe and Durley inside. From what I've heard about McDonald I'd gladly take him. I know he's gotten a lot of looks from others but have never heard how serious anyone is. Haddock I've always liked but got the feeling he'd stay on the east coast.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Late night post last night on Shockwaves about Brock:

Comment

I think with PG being of primary concern, that Beckham is in the Top 3. I expect that Coach would stop by to see him, make him another offer, give him GS's phone number and have him explain why he chose WSU over Kentucky.

Of course, Beckham grew up in Kentucky, and Marshall cannot really compete with that if that is the way Beckham feels.

I like McDonald and Haddock. I think Brock would be a great get for us, but I too think a HS PG would be best, but Coach may have a HS PG for next year that he fancies and being gtd #1 his Soph year could be help in bringing in a high level recruit.

Comment

Beckham has to be in the top 3. If you can get a 6'5" HS pg or a 6'5" juco pg, I think it would be a no brainer to go with the HS guy.

I just hope he chooses the program where he'll get to play, not where he can just say he wore a uniform.

Comment

One thing to consider is the possibility Beckham has eliminated WSU from consideration. Hopefully one of the recruiting sites will have an update soon.

But boy do I hope he's still a top target!

Comment

We were on the top of his list in Jan. Hard to believe that we fell off completely that fast.

While we may no longer be the favorite, I'm sure Coach is asking him if he wants to be someone's 3rd choice (Kentucky), 2nd Choice (GT), or some one's primary choice (WSU), have the chance to play in a top level league, and be the leader of a very talented recruiting class.

Comment

I would think Twany is prolly #1 on our list, maybe coach went to visit him to make one good last pitch
                  Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
                    We were on the top of his list in Jan. Hard to believe that we fell off completely that fast.

While we may no longer be the favorite, I'm sure Coach is asking him if he wants to be someone's 3rd choice (Kentucky), 2nd Choice (GT), or some one's primary choice (WSU), have the chance to play in a top level league, and be the leader of a very talented recruiting class.
                    I certainly hope you're right. This kid sounds like a difference-maker.

I only wanted to bring up the possibility because it's one we rarely consider, at least until Scout or Rivals provides us with the info. A kid can drop a school from his list and the only ones who know are his family, friends and the coaches of the school he dropped.

A 6'5" PG probably isn't going to out-quick his defenders, so he must be a proficient shooter, a weakness in his game entering this season. If he's improved as much as it sounds, a high-major like GTech might be telling him he could be their starting PG or SG after a year or two. That can be awfully tempting.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                      A 6'5" PG probably isn't going to out-quick his defenders, so he must be a proficient shooter, a weakness in his game entering this season. If he's improved as much as it sounds, a high-major like GTech might be telling him he could be their starting PG or SG after a year or two. That can be awfully tempting.
                      I know I would be hard pressed to turn down a school from a power conference if they were telling me that I would probably be the starter in a year or two (unless it was St. Johns, Rutgers, Nebraska, and those types of teams). TV exposure and everything else plays alot into these kids' decisions now. Too bad WSU hasn't figured out something better to get more TV exposure. Could they sign a deal with Fox Sports like KSU did?

Comment

I think HCGM's top 5 include:

PG- Anthony Brock, Anthony Miles- No brainers, Sean Crawford or Jordan Callahan.

I think Beckham passes on WSU.

Swingman- Montrell McDonald- Definitely, Joey Shaw or Montarrio Haddock .

Comment

I thought this thread was an advertisment for cell phone companies. I know who is in D. Wade's top 5.

On a serious note, A. Beckham all the way in HCGMs' top 5.
                          Spoiler Alert: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Comment

Of the swingmen, I like Shaw. He was 4* and went to Indiana. Has played extremely well at Southern Idaho. He is a scorer. Averaging over 17 ppg.

Of the PG's I like Beckham first of course. Then, based on what Coach Marshall thinks of recruits available next year, probably JUCO to allow him to go after a PG for 2009.

Comment

It has been suggested that future games are won or lost on recruiting Classes. This Class is already a very fine one. Before it concludes, I think it could be our best Recruiting Class for a very long time. We can actually be quite selective with the final 2-4 recruits we sign. There could always be some late sleepers that we skipped over that will make us extremely happy. Just save room for Noel Johnson next year or others that could make an impact to help take us Dancing from now on after next Season. Reloading is now in session!!!!!!!

Reply #14
                              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Working...
                              X