Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AJ McGinnis 6'4 SG Lipscomb Transfer a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Would like to know who else was after him. Feels like he had to have at least some P5 interest.

Comment

Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
        I'd mention he has a cute mom, but his dad looks like he could kick my ass into 2025 so I won't.

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
          Nice looking young man. Do all the recruits parents come with them. I like that aspect so the parents are involved in the process. Not much of a chance to wind up in a strip club ala Louisville style.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post

Nice looking young man. Do all the recruits parents come with them. I like that aspect so the parents are involved in the process. Not much of a chance to wind up in a strip club ala Louisville style.
            It has started to become allowed in maybe the last 10 years. Or at least being allowed for parents’ plane tickets to be covered by the team.

Hasn’t thought of your preventative theory but that makes A LOT of sense.
            78-65

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post

I believe that it's good to get know the family or legal guardian of a recruit. A kid raised in a good family atmosphere is going to be less likely to be a discipline problem than say a kid with drugged up parents or parents who didn't push push discipline and high level achievements in school.
              I'm not saying that is always the case, but it does give some insight to a kids development.

Comment

Officially official.

Go Shockers - AJ McGinnis Signs with Wichita State

Wichita State men's basketball has inked transfer guard AJ McGinnis to a financial aid agreement for the 2024-25 season.

A native of Huntsville, Ala., McGinnis will be a senior on next season's team after spending the previous two seasons at Lipscomb and a year each at Cincinnati (2021-22) and UNC Greensboro (2020-21).

"AJ is a welcome addition to our team next season because of his character and skill set," said Wichita State head coach Paul Mills. "He is well known as an elite shooter and has made timely game winning shots throughout his collegiate career. He also adds a lot to our team defensively with his length, athleticism and versatility. AJ will be able to make an instant impact on both ends of the court. We are excited that he chose to finish his collegiate career as a Shocker."

McGinnis started all 32 games for Lipscomb in 2023-24 and posted 13.2 points and 2.3 rebounds per game on 46.1 percent shooting from the field and 39.7 percent from beyond the arc. In ASUN play his scoring went up to 14.3 per game on better than 41 percent from long range. He finished in double figures in all but eight games and three games of 20 or more, including a career-high 26 at Drake on Nov. 8, 2023. He finished the season with multiple made three-pointers in each of the last 18 games. In his two seasons at Lipscomb he was a career 38.8 percent three-point shooter on more than 5.0 attempts per game.

Prior to Lipscomb, McGinnis appeared in only eight games at Cincinnati after dealing with injuries. As a freshman at UNCG, he averaged 6.1 points per game in helping lead UNCG to a Southern Conference regular season title, a tournament championship and a berth into the NCAA Tournament.​
                Somehow I missed that we are his fourth school.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  Officially official.

Go Shockers - AJ McGinnis Signs with Wichita State

Somehow I missed that we are his fourth school.
                  Appears to have followed Wes Miller when Miller left from UNCG to Cincy .. was injured in Cincy and went to Lipscomb

Comment

In hopes that AJ can also help us defensively. Obviously he is an accurate and consistent shooter that will step into that role that Colby had nicely. I'm glad that this is official.

This breaks the long spell of little recruiting news we have had so far in the usually busy and exciting season of reloading of our roster. Hoping for 2 more solid bigs and a really good pg to follow in the near future to round out our roster.
                    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

As much as I would like to be excited about this signing, I will have to wait and see. I truly hope it is a great signing.

AJ played for a team that is in a conference that was ranked 26th out of 30. Our last year's team beat that team by 17. AJ was a shooting guard the best I can tell. Yes, he was the team's 3rd leading scorer. However, as a shooting guard, he had the 4th best 3pt % among their regulars (top 5). His % was 39.7, but 3 other starters were 40%, 43.4%, and 44%. As a team, they had a FG% of 49.3%. McGinnis was 46.1% which was eighth among the 10 players with 10 mpg or more.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                        As much as I would like to be excited about this signing, I will have to wait and see. I truly hope it is a great signing.

AJ played for a team that is in a conference that was ranked 26th out of 30. Our last year's team beat that team by 17. AJ was a shooting guard the best I can tell. Yes, he was the team's 3rd leading scorer. However, as a shooting guard, he had the 4th best 3pt % among their regulars (top 5). His % was 39.7, but 3 other starters were 40%, 43.4%, and 44%. As a team, they had a FG% of 49.3%. McGinnis was 46.1% which was eighth among the 10 players with 10 mpg or more.
                        It's always best to take a wait and see attitude with recruits although experienced transfers at least have some track record to look at. At the very least I think AJ is about as good as were were going to get to fill the hole left by Colby Jones. Perhaps even a step up if he can get to the basket and plays some D.

Definitely good news on the transfer portal front. But I agree that it doesn't guarantee success.

Comment

Working...
                        X