No announcement yet.

Jalen Ricks 6'6 G/SF 2021 a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this our first Oak Hill signing since Gus Santos? Fantastic add.
    “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Winning the conference regular season with all the disadvantages the Shox had at the start of the season was impressive, if not amazing. We found out IB could coach, but could he recruit?

This recruiting class for a first-year HC who couldn't start recruiting until January approaches miraculous. Picking up major contributors from Oak Hill and Sunrise IS NOT easy. Every coach knows about those guys. They're absolutely on everybody's radar. IB just goes out and gets them if they fill a need he's got on the roster.

IB's checklist might look something like this

Win a conference championship - check
      Make the NCAA tourney with a team picked to finish in the bottom half of the league - check
      Fill every recruiting need with high-caliber ballers - check
      Own Kelvin Sampson - pending

Comment

As many others have pointed out, I think we are benefiting from the transfer portal both directly and indirectly. While other schools are loading up on transfers we are pretty much business as usual which has possibly allowed us to get a few players who “fell through the cracks”.

Would we have snagged Pohto, Ricks and McFarlane without the portal changes? Maybe, maybe not.

Many Shockernetters complained we weren’t getting enough of these proven D1 transfers. I was never convinced it’s a great idea to fill a roster with players who, while their production is proven at this level, would come in with obvious expectations for playing time, role in the offense, etc.

Especially when considering the core group of players we have coming back I’m glad we were selective in using the portal. Other schools rosters, KU or OU for example, were in shambles and they needed an immediate infusion of guaranteed talent and were willing to take on any potential risk that comes with transfers.

Our roster is much more stable and I think we’ll be better off in the long run with our approach.

Comment

We're gonna look a helluva lot better in the airport next year than we did last year, that's for sure.

HCIB has carefully and somewhat quietly put together one salty team with some exciting potential. He put on a recruiting show for anyone paying attention.
          Last edited by Rocky Mountain Shock; June 3, 2021, 04:13 PM. Reason: my grammar are bad
          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

I’ll just have to take everyone’s word for it. Content is locked down to subscribers only.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

All 12 guys I could see earning minutes. Should be fun!

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                Hard to imagine not being excited about all of the guys coming in. At least on paper, they address our three biggest weaknesses last year - shooting, rebounding and length.

Very excited to be back in a packed Koch arena next year to see these guys develop.

American conference is on notice.
                Speaking of rebounding, Coach IB added 3 players that led their former teams in rebounding. Joe Pleasant, Matt McFarland, and Jalen Ricks. And the Minnesota article I read on K. Photo said he was outstanding in putting a body on his man for a block out on rebounds. Hopefully with this addition and improvement by our current players the shocks get back to their old ways in rebounding. Go Shocks.

PS. I forgot that Q. Grant as a guard average 8 rebounds a game. Yikes!!
                Last edited by TheShocktocles; June 3, 2021, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Speaking of rebounding, Coach IB added 3 players that led their former teams in rebounding. Joe Pleasant, Matt McFarland, and Jalen Ricks. And the Minnesota article I read on K. Photo said he was outstanding in putting a body on his man for a block out on rebounds. Hopefully with this addition and improvement by our current players the shocks get back to their old ways in rebounding. Go Shocks.
                  Don’t forget Qua Grant averaged 7 per game.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Intelligent.

P.S. This isn’t a knock on anyone else in the program, but a 4.0 always gets my attention.
                    That gives us two 4.0 student athletes, Dexter being the other one.

Comment

The Roundhouse is gonna be rockin! Great recruiting class topped off by this young man.

Comment

Great get by Coach Brown. Welcome to Shocker Nation Jalen. As you can tell we are quite excited you are joining us

Great comments my fellow Shockernetters.

When I read 6-7 with a 6-11 wing span I immediately thought of Paul Pressey (by the way what a perfect name for that guy). Jalen with perhaps more offensive upside.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 3, 2021, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          Great get by Coach Brown. Welcome to Shocker Nation Jalen. As you can tell we are quite excited you are joining us

Great comments my fellow Shockernetters.

When I read 6-7 with a 6-11 wing span I immediately thought of Paul Pressey (by the what a perfect name for that guy). Jalen with perhaps more offensive upside.
                          Wow! Paul Pressey. Gene Smithson has some great teams but we could never get the ball up the court when Pressey and Tulsa were pressing. Let's hope our guys can play some hair on fire defense this year.

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Wow! Paul Pressey. Gene Smithson has some great teams but we could never get the ball up the court when Pressey and Tulsa were pressing. Let's hope our guys can play some hair on fire defense this year.
                            It sounds like he could play immediately, but from the article that Taylor Eldridge wrote, it doesn't appear that he has the expectation for immediate playing time, and is willing to be patient, and to grow as a basketball player. That's pretty impressive for a young player and not the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

It sounds like he could play immediately, but from the article that Taylor Eldridge wrote, it doesn't appear that he has the expectation for immediate playing time, and is willing to be patient, and to grow as a basketball player. That's pretty impressive for a young player and not the norm.
                              The guys who play at the elite prep schools are surrounded by and play against others who are as good as they are. They have a pretty good idea what it's going to be like when they are the young guns instead of the older guys. At least the ones with the maturity you'd like to see in players on the roster.

Comment

What an insane ride over the last 12-18 months. From doom and gloom and losing 3G under unusual global circumstances, to where we are now, this has to be the damn near best outcome possible, and certainly one I wouldn't have predicted. We fell into a pile of sh|t and came out smelling like roses. So happy for the program and really glad Tyson is going to be leading these guys.

Go shox!!

Comment

Working...
                                X