Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qua Grant 6'1 PG West Texas A&M (D2) a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
    It’s not like this is a small sample size. He’s shot 36% from three on 460 attempts. Obviously there is going to be an adjustment to D1. Players from HS, JUCO, D2 will all have to adjust but that doesn’t mean we should just throw their stats out the window as meaningless.

Whether this guy is the right fit overall or if we’re even recruiting him is almost irrelevant. I said “yes, please” to his shooting numbers because, all things being equal, I want to see us going after guys who already have a track record of making shots at a good percentage.
    Amen!

Comment

I don’t disagree with the premise that shooting skill is the same at all levels, I disagree with the premise that game results will be the same at each level.

Absurdity added to make the point: why not add a high school girl that shoots 45% from three?
      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
        I don’t disagree with the premise that shooting skill is the same at all levels, I disagree with the premise that game results will be the same at each level.

Absurdity added to make the point: why not add a high school girl that shoots 45% from three?
        I’m sure she would still shoot a good percentage on clean looks. Whether or not she would get as many clean looks would be a reflection of her height, athleticism, etc in comparison to the defenders not a reflection on her shooting skill.

I’m not denying that there is an adjustment to be made. A poor shooter from high school, JUCO, or D2 is going to have to make the adjustment the same as a good shooter from one of those levels would.

All things being equal, I’ll put my money on a guy or girl who showed over a large sample size an ability to put the ball in the basket even if it’s at a lower level.

Would Mo suddenly become a 45% 3 point shooter in girls HS basketball?

Comment

Freshman - 36.7% on 150 attempts
          Sophomore - 33.5% on 170 attempts
          Junior - 38.4% on 138 attempts

Those are his three point shooting numbers. Yes, please.

Doesn’t make much sense from a class balance perspective with Craig and Tyson both in the junior class next year.
          Tyson will still be considered a Sophomore next year.
          78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Tyson will still be considered a Sophomore next year.
            Good catch, thank you!

Comment

Do you think it was easy for Mo to improve his FT shooting this year?
              Absolutely not. Do you think learning to pass without turning the ball over was?
              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post

Absolutely not. Do you think learning to pass without turning the ball over was?
                I think it is much easier to limit your turnovers than it is to improve your shot.

Comment

I think it is much easier to limit your turnovers than it is to improve your shot.
                  Shooting takes many hours in the gym with only the shooter and perhaps a rebounding machine or buddy. The passing/turnovers have to be done during live practice or practice drills that probably require more than just 1-2 people (probably at least 2-3 defenders, and a couple of people to pass to. This is probably done during practice with all low post players.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Shooting takes many hours in the gym with only the shooter and perhaps a rebounding machine or buddy. The passing/turnovers have to be done during live practice or practice drills that probably require more than just 1-2 people (probably at least 2-3 defenders, and a couple of people to pass to. This is probably done during practice with all low post players.
                    This sounds like improving passing. I’m talking about limiting turnovers which is different.

Comment

Whether or not she would get as many clean looks would be a reflection of her height, athleticism, etc in comparison to the defenders not a reflection on her shooting skill.
                      Exactly. There’s a reason that D2 sometimes produces shooters. It’s because they don’t have to be as athletic, tall, or have as quick of a release. In the pick up games I played as a young man, I was able to play with several collegiate scholarship players. There was a huge difference between the D-I players that got 15 minutes a season and the D-II and NAIA guys that were all Americans.

Chris Grill was far and away the best player on the court and he just whipped these guys. He didn’t make very many shots at WSU, but he shot about 50% from deep against these guys.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

Exactly. There’s a reason that D2 sometimes produces shooters. It’s because they don’t have to be as athletic, tall, or have as quick of a release. In the pick up games I played as a young man, I was able to play with several collegiate scholarship players. There was a huge difference between the D-I players that got 15 minutes a season and the D-II and NAIA guys that were all Americans.

Chris Grill was far and away the best player on the court and he just whipped these guys. He didn’t make very many shots at WSU, but he shot about 50% from deep against these guys.
                        I once talked to Ryan Bradley (played on Mark's last two teams) when he was playing at Newman. I asked him about the difference between the two levels. He said that D2 players were just as skilled (and in some cases, more skilled) but that the athleticism of D1 players outweighed that of D2 players immensely.
                        78-65

Comment

This kid may be willing to settle into a role just to get a chance at playing at a high major D-1 school. He and Hudgens from NW Missouri are both quality talents.

Comment

It’s not like this is a small sample size. He’s shot 36% from three on 460 attempts. Obviously there is going to be an adjustment to D1. Players from HS, JUCO, D2 will all have to adjust but that doesn’t mean we should just throw their stats out the window as meaningless.

Whether this guy is the right fit overall or if we’re even recruiting him is almost irrelevant. I said “yes, please” to his shooting numbers because, all things being equal, I want to see us going after guys who already have a track record of making shots at a good percentage.
                            Maybe these numbers won't translate to D1 but there is a lot better chance they will than with a guy like Saunders. He shot 22% this year from 3 and couldn't shoot the 3 ball in high school either. Seems unlikely he ever will be able to.

Comment

You figure a good D-2 team could beat at least 1/3 of D1 teams and almost all Juco teams on a regular basis so getting a guard of his caliber is a win.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                                You figure a good D-2 team could beat at least 1/3 of D1 teams and almost all Juco teams on a regular basis .
                                you don't believe that

Comment

Working...
                                X