Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matt McFarlane 6'10 C 2021 JUCO a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Who wouldn't another Echinique? I'm in...
    I'm not saying he will be another Echinique but sometimes the numbers don't tell the whole story. My guess is some of these juco teams don't exactly emphasize running their offenses through the post much. Could be wrong about that though.

Comment

As has already been mentioned, juco ball is heavily guard-oriented. And if there is any other serviceable post player on a team, what little opportunities there are will be spread among them. Because guards take a lot of shots, those long-range misses often bounce out past the interior block-outs. So stats for juco post players have to be put into context.

Comment

His size, agility, potential, and what is shown on video seem more than worth a risk when you have 6 scholarships to give this year. We might end up with another Bilau ... or we could end up with an Echenique.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
          His size, agility, potential, and what is shown on video seem more than worth a risk when you have 6 scholarships to give this year. We might end up with another Bilau ... or we could end up with an Echenique.
          I would go somewhere in between. He does have 3 years to improve. Bilau didn't want to play post, he couldn't defend, and his motivation was a problem. He is probably selling himself as a 2 or 3 to other teams instead of just being a good basketball player no matter where he plays. We didn't need him to be a 2 or 3.

Comment

You guys are overthinking this one, just watch the film and it’s obvious he can play at this level and play well

Comment

Originally posted by 12eagle View Post
              You guys are overthinking this one, just watch the film and it’s obvious he can play at this level and play well
              This! If he works hard on defense he can play the 4 or the 5 and there will be minutes.
              Livin the dream

Comment

In my opinion McFarland has more skills than Echinque coming in and I felt Echnique was talented. From looking at the videos McFarland is way more athletic. Go Shocks.

Comment

I'm definitely excited to see what this guy brings. I'm not sure the last time we've had a big like him with his athletic gifts. Ehimen? Though his gifts were more defensive than offensive, but he had similar athletic ability as far as his ability to move fluidly and leaping ability and all of that fun stuff.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                    I'm definitely excited to see what this guy brings. I'm not sure the last time we've had a big like him with his athletic gifts. Ehimen? Though his gifts were more defensive than offensive, but he had similar athletic ability as far as his ability to move fluidly and leaping ability and all of that fun stuff.
                    the most athletic big we've had is probably Shaq as a senior. I'd put Darius Carter up there but he was a really small post player, maybe Darral Willis. Ehimen couldn't dribble the ball and had hands of stone. He was a shot blocker and rebounder, period.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
                      In my opinion McFarland has more skills than Echinque coming in and I felt Echnique was talented. From looking at the videos McFarland is way more athletic. Go Shocks.
                      Different skill sets. Echinque very seldom wandered beyond the post, and played very well down there. No one would ever accuse him of having small forward skills. That's not a knock on him either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

the most athletic big we've had is probably Shaq as a senior. I'd put Darius Carter up there but he was a really small post player, maybe Darral Willis. Ehimen couldn't dribble the ball and had hands of stone. He was a shot blocker and rebounder, period.
                        I said athletic, not skilled.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I said athletic, not skilled.
                          I suppose. I guess I think of athletic as a combination of speed, strength and superior eye-hand coordination. Ehimen certainly looked the part and could run fluidly but his basketball skills were pretty limited.

Comment

• "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I am very glad he is signed. Looking forward to next season. Although I think the perimeter is still the strength of this team, I think Coach IB has improved our front line with the addition of McFarland and Pleasant. Still they might could use a freshmen high school recruit too. Go Shocks.

Comment

Working...
                                X