Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matt McFarlane 6'10 C 2021 JUCO a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a little about McFarlane taken from Taylor Eldridge's article. He was ranked a Top 10 Juco player prior to this season and is a Sophomore eligibility wise.

In McFarlane, WSU believes it has found a shot-blocking, rebound-grabbing center who can hold his own against the big bodies found across the American Athletic Conference. That potential was why Brandon Goble, who runs the twitter account @JUCOadvocate with more than 28,000 followers, picked McFarlane as one of his 10 best junior college players before this season.

McFarlane was a two-year starter at Colby, where he averaged 10.7 points, 6.8 rebounds, 1.5 steals and 2.1 blocks in 26.7 minutes per game this past season. He shot 53.7% from the field and 64.4% from the foul line. In the 2019-20 season, McFarlane averaged 11.2 points, 6.4 rebounds, 1.0 steals and 1.8 blocks in 20.7 minutes per game with shooting percentages of 50.9% from the field and 70.9% from the line.

WSU beat out the likes of Loyola-Chicago, South Carolina, St. John’s and Colorado for McFarlane, as his recruiting was beginning to take off this spring. WSU assistant coach Lou Gudino was the lead recruiter on McFarlane.

The rim protection and defensive rebounding that McFarlane could potentially provide would intrigue WSU the most after a season where the Shockers were a below-average team doing both of those things in conference play. McFarlane’s length and athleticism allow him to rise above crowds to secure rebounds, to recover on defense to swipe shots away from behind, and leave his man to block guards driving to the rim. Just last week, McFarlane blocked seven shots in a game against Garden City.

Comment

Here's a fresh article from Taylor with quotes from a Juco recruiting guy and McFarlane's coach.

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...250387076.html

“To put it into context, if a high school kid walked into Peach Jam and looked and played like Matt McFarlane, he’s going to Kentucky. And now he has three years at a place like Wichita State, who has great player development and resources and strength coaches. Matt could be special there.”
      “Matt is one of those rare kids who slipped through the cracks in the recruiting world,” Colby coach Rusty Elmore said. “It’s unbelievable what he’s able to do at 6-10. I’ll be honest, it was hard for me to coach him because I haven’t coached a kid who can do what he can do at 6-10. Most of the time those guys play on TV. They don’t end up in Colby, Kansas.”
      It does sound like his biggest downside may be turnovers.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
        Here's a fresh article from Taylor with quotes from a Juco recruiting guy and McFarlane's coach.

That first quote though ...

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
          I liked the fact that he had some finesse moves around the basket. Also like the fact that he is older and has a mature body. Also can someone tell me what his wing span is. Some weight training with KR will put on some muscle and may improve his leaping ability. All in all I think this young man will be a very nice piece added to the roster.
          Taylor has some different highlights on his twitter feed. He says his wing span is 7 feet. He is really good at rebounding and blocking shots. It looks instinctual to me. I really like what he can do.
          I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
            Who else was interested in this guy? A big guy but as good as Poor Bear? Only time will
            tell.
            Waaaay better than poor bear

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

64.4% FT
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

64.4% FT
                So 14 percent better than we shot as a team against drake

Comment

64.4% FT
                  Udeze will get him straightened out there

Comment

64.4% FT
                    I believe 70% his freshman year... maybe Mo could give him some pointers.
                    Last edited by WstateU; April 2, 2021, 11:18 AM.
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

64.4% FT
                      He'll fit right in.
                      I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

Look, I will take a 6'10" guy who shoots between 65% and 70% from FT. That is not the norm. It's the 6 to 6'3" guard who can't shoot FT that is disturbing.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodrow View Post

Taylor has some different highlights on his twitter feed. He says his wing span is 7 feet. He is really good at rebounding and blocking shots. It looks instinctual to me. I really like what he can do.
                          I like what you said about his play looking instinctual. When I watch highlights I try to look at things like how they move, can the big guy handle the ball, does his shot look repeatable, are his post moves fluid or does it look like he has to think about it, etc. This guy looks like he is going to have a great impact on the team once he adjusts to D-1 speed, which I think he'll do quickly. Very fluid athlete, shows excellent footwork and quick, effective footwork, and he appears very comfortable handling the ball. If you haven't read what his coach said in Taylor's article you ought to. I think IB's first signing as HCIB is just what the Shocks needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddy Graham View Post

I like what you said about his play looking instinctual. When I watch highlights I try to look at things like how they move, can the big guy handle the ball, does his shot look repeatable, are his post moves fluid or does it look like he has to think about it, etc. This guy looks like he is going to have a great impact on the team once he adjusts to D-1 speed, which I think he'll do quickly. Very fluid athlete, shows excellent footwork and quick, effective footwork, and he appears very comfortable handling the ball. If you haven't read what his coach said in Taylor's article you ought to. I think IB's first signing as HCIB is just what the Shocks needed.
                            All true, plus, he seems to have that innate skill which usually is demonstrated in upperclassmen or demonstrated in just plain special frosh/soph's: He plays one play ahead of the action (he's always one play ahead). I approve.

Someone on the board mentioned they think this kid could average 10+ with the right amount of minutes. If he could that would be great, because I could then envision TWO frontcourt players averaging 10+ a game! How long has it been since that's happened?
                            Last edited by ShockingButTrue; April 2, 2021, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Per game averages

Player 1
                              Minutes - 22
                              Points - 8.4
                              Rebounds - 5.0
                              Blocks - 0.8
                              FT% - 65
                              FG% - 57.2

Player 2
                              Minutes - 23.8
                              Points - 10.3
                              Rebounds - 4.7
                              Blocks - 0.8
                              FT% - 68
                              FG% - 60

Player 3
                              Minutes - 18
                              Points - 9.6
                              Rebounds - 5.1
                              Blocks - 1
                              FT% - 78.9
                              FG% - 52.3

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                                Per game averages

Player 1
                                Minutes - 22
                                Points - 8.4
                                Rebounds - 5.0
                                Blocks - 0.8
                                FT% - 65
                                FG% - 57.2

Player 2
                                Minutes - 23.8
                                Points - 10.3
                                Rebounds - 4.7
                                Blocks - 0.8
                                FT% - 68
                                FG% - 60

Player 3
                                Minutes - 18
                                Points - 9.6
                                Rebounds - 5.1
                                Blocks - 1
                                FT% - 78.9
                                FG% - 52.3
                                I like player 3. How was his competition/team vs players 1 and 2?
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X