Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matt McFarlane 6'10 C 2021 JUCO a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like a nice piece. Not a "stop the presses" signing, but a nice start.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      Seems like a nice piece. Not a "stop the presses" signing, but a nice start.
      He’s exactly what we needed with three starters and our # 6-8 players returning.
      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
        I’m almost hesitant to be excited about this guy now.

6’10, some nice moments on film (why would they show anything else), and pretty good stats.

I like going the JUCO route to build depth at the center position, especially when he is eligible for three more years. He has an entire, hopefully normal offseason to hit the weight room and learn what is expected.

If he’s good enough to overtake Mo and start at some point, great. I think Mo is good enough now, and can still improve, that it’s ok to continue the tradition of the three headed monster at center.

As always, we’ll see when the ball tips, but this dude looks like he can be a productive part of that next year and maybe more in the following years.
        I think you should be excited about this guy. I am very excited!

Comment

Who else was interested in this guy? A big guy but as good as Poor Bear? Only time will
          tell.

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

He's Irish?
            The name is actually Scottish
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Poor Bear, Bilau and Seymour combined to average 3.5 points and 3 rebounds so yes I think McFarlane has a pretty good chance to improve on that if he gets the 16 minutes a game that Udeze didn’t play. South Carolina, St. John’s, Colorado & Loyola wanted him.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                Who else was interested in this guy? A big guy but as good as Poor Bear? Only time will
                tell.

So decent not great programs showed interest in him.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

So decent not great programs showed interest in him.
                  And offer lists can also only tell part of the story. Recruiting is more nuanced than some realize, especially in a year with no in person recruiting. RC4’s only other offers were Elon, App. St., and Hofstra and we all know what kinda player he turned out to be.

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

He's Irish?
                    is he a red head?

Click on McFarland surname and you’ll find the surname has Northern Ireland history. However, Scots did move to Northern Ireland from close by Scotland in the early 1600’s. Same with all surnames who have Mc. In it, like McDonald’s, McAlistair, McKenzie, etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/McFarland_(surname)
                    Last edited by Shockm; April 1, 2021, 10:57 PM.

Comment

I liked the fact that he had some finesse moves around the basket. Also like the fact that he is older and has a mature body. Also can someone tell me what his wing span is. Some weight training with KR will put on some muscle and may improve his leaping ability. All in all I think this young man will be a very nice piece added to the roster.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                        I liked the fact that he had some finesse moves around the basket. Also like the fact that he is older and has a mature body. Also can someone tell me what his wing span is. Some weight training with KR will put on some muscle and may improve his leaping ability. All in all I think this young man will be a very nice piece added to the roster.
                        He also seems to know how to use the glass.

Comment

I've reviewed the tape.

This kid is a clone of the bigs that Cinci and Temple rolled out the last 3-4 years. Not bad, but I'd like to see 10+ points a game.

Comment

Welcome aboard Mr McFarlane!
                            Livin the dream

Comment

The guys runs fast breaks and can actually dribble the ball at full speed and finish. Show me any highlight tape that has MU or IPBC doing that. This guy has skills in actual games that will translate to D1. Maybe not immediately, but will see him do these things once he gets comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                                I've reviewed the tape.

This kid is a clone of the bigs that Cinci and Temple rolled out the last 3-4 years. Not bad, but I'd like to see 10+ points a game.
                                If he gets 20+ minutes a game, I wouldn't be surprised if he averaged 10+.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X