Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matt McFarlane 6'10 C 2021 JUCO a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
    Wow! Let's nickname him "Spawn".

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

I like player 3. How was his competition/team vs players 1 and 2?
      I’d say 3 was the most talented. He played on some really good teams and in a different league. Some would say the it was lesser competition.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

I just feel ornery today, but why are we standardizing our post recruiting to JB. We recruited Hall, Willis, Shaq while in the MVC. Let's at least use those as standards for crying out loud. Udeze couldn't carry those players jock straps, but he is our baseline post player today???
        Maybe becuase when we recuited JB we thought he was the next coming of the X-Man, only bigger. So there is that recency bias not to get overly excited about a guy who looks good on highlight videos.

Well I could have said that visually his highlights are reminiscent of the X-Man's offensvie game, especially his mid-range game (which they are). But I certainly am not predictng he will be another X-Man nor would that necessarily be a fair standard to use either. Matt will be whatever Matt will be. Very hard to predict how a player will turn out based on a hightlight tape. Everyone looks like an All-American on the sliced, diced and spliced videos at their very best.

Willis may be the closest comparison for McFarlane. Certainly a different kind of payer than Udeze. Darral, listed at 6-9, averaged 10.1 PPG and 5.6 RPG in 17.3 MPG. Shot 52.4% from the field, 37.5% on 3 ptrs (although he only took 1 trey as a Junior) and 70.3% from the line.
        https://goshockers.com/sports/mens-b...illis-jr-/3307

I think Matt is capable of those kind of numbers although not sure he can do that in 17.3 MPG. IIRC Darral was not shy about getting his shots when he was in the game. Also I think Darral played mostly at the 4 with Shaq and Rauno Nurger getting most of the time at the 5. It will be interesting to see if Matt can expand his range to include the three point shot like Darral did or whether he will even be asked to that. At this point we don't really even know whether Matt will be utlilized more in the 5 spot or as a 4 and remains to be seen if he could be a stetch 4.

I think you can say he has the physcial tools, moves well and fluidly, has some useful skills and seems to have a feel for the game (BBIQ). Where those will take him at Wichita State remains to be seen. Glad we have him for three years but if he does turn out to be 6-10 version fo the X-Man that probably won't be the case.

Right now I think Matt was a good get. But I thought JB was a good get too.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 4, 2021, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Most of our good big men were ok as juniors and really good as seniors. We have a tendency to leave this out. Udeze has 2 more years to play here if he wants. He could be really good next year and the year after.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            Most of our good big men were ok as juniors and really good as seniors. We have a tendency to leave this out. Udeze has 2 more years to play here if he wants. He could be really good next year and the year after.
            Right. And he was the second leading scorer (behind a possible NBA guard) while shooting 60%. And played effectively with, at times, no backup at his position. 35 minutes in the Drake game comes to mind, while being practically the only offense from the shox.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                11 and 5? Was he in foul trouble?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Had 3 fouls so not really. They only scored 68 as a team so Coffeyville must have been D'ing them up. I'd take 11 and 5 from him.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Had 3 fouls so not really. They only scored 68 as a team so Coffeyville must have been D'ing them up. I'd take 11 and 5 from him.
                    Agreed.

If he can average 11 and 5 on the same frontline as Udeze then all of those top 25 predictions are right on. Hell, maybe top 10.

Comment

FWIW, Jaime Echinique played two seasons at Trinity Valley Community College in Athens, Texas… As a sophomore, averaged 9.1 points, 6.1 rebounds and 2.0 blocks in 33 games… As a freshman averaged 9.2 points, 5.4 rebounds in 31 games with 26 starts.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

FWIW, Jaime Echinique played two seasons at Trinity Valley Community College in Athens, Texas… As a sophomore, averaged 9.1 points, 6.1 rebounds and 2.0 blocks in 33 games… As a freshman averaged 9.2 points, 5.4 rebounds in 31 games with 26 starts.
                        Who wouldn't another Echinique? I'm in...

Comment

Who wouldn't another Echinique? I'm in...
                          I wonder if this guy is possibly a little more mobile and athletic than Echinique?

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I wonder if this guy is possibly a little more mobile and athletic than Echinique?
                            Might be. Not as big though. Listed at 210, but I’m guessing that was out of high school.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShocker2006 View Post
                              Might be. Not as big though. Listed at 210, but I’m guessing that was out of high school.
                              Verbal commits has him at 225.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShocker2006 View Post
                                I think I’d be ok trading a little beef for more agility, if that’s the case. I would also take another Echinique. Good hoopers come in all shapes and sizes. TBD if McFarlane can live up to what JE brought to the team.

Comment

Working...
                                X