Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matt McFarlane 6'10 C 2021 JUCO a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

I agree. If we are in a situation where Mo is getting bullied down low we now have some viable options to throw out there, rather than going small ball. Even adding Pleasant (6'8) should help our frontline.
    The reason our front line will be better with 3 quality Centers (3 headed monster) is that last year during the last half of the year, we were subbing Wade and CJ for Mo because we had no other quality subs behind him. Mo, sometimes just backed off on defense because he didn’t want to commit another foul. Now we have 3 quality Centers and we don’t have to give our opponent anything. Depth can be a very important

Comment

• Yep, same way that tall guy we had was effective in spurts against KU. He was so underwhelming i don’t even remember his name, but it worked in situations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
        Yep, same way that tall guy we had was effective in spurts against KU. He was so underwhelming i don’t even remember his name, but it worked in situations.
        So you are saying that McFarlane and Pohto are as underwhelming as Bush Wamakota? I was thinking maybe a little more like Darius Carter, Shadrack Lufile, and Kadeem Coleby who shared the 40 minutes. They were good the entire year and were good enough to at least hang competitively with NBA’er Julius Randle. I hope closer to the latter than the former.
        Last edited by Shockm; May 8, 2021, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Yep, same way that tall guy we had was effective in spurts against KU. He was so underwhelming i don’t even remember his name, but it worked in situations.
          Bush DID NOT travel on that blow-by on the base-line...

Comment

• I’m excited because all three newbies bring completely different skill sets. If they can all reach their potential, we will be good in the post for 40 minutes.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

So you are saying that McFarlane and Pohto are as underwhelming as Bush Wamakota? I was thinking maybe a little more like Darius Carter, Shadrack Lufile, and Kadeem Coleby who shared the 40 minutes. They were good the entire year and were good enough to at least hang competitively with NBA’er Julius Randle. I hope closer to the latter than the former.
              I agree but with a little twist: those 3 gave 7 foot Willie Cauley-Stein firm resistance, which was his last full tournament game, possibly costing the Wildcats a natty (not that I give a ****). Just sayin'.

Randle had his hands more than full with Cle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I expect them to be better than Bush. Someone asked how 2 guys with less skill than Mo can be more effective against guys like Cisse. Some people can’t connect dots.

Comment

Someone asked how 2 guys with less skill than Mo can be more effective against guys like Cisse. Some people can’t connect dots.

I may be a bad dot connector, but your comment had no quote to connect it to. I looked back for the question that you referenced, and struck out but I don’t doubt it’s there somewhere. Mo has more experience but has flaws too. I really don’t care who has the most skills, just that their varying skills compliment each other so we win.

Comment

• Here we go. Another thread derailed by the Mo debate...

Comment

• If McFarlane becomes the starting center, thus putting Mo on the bench in the process, then he's pretty good and the Shocks will be a whole lot better than just a one-and-done participant (assuming, of course, the guards pitch in)...

Sounds good to me.
                      Last edited by ShockingButTrue; May 10, 2021, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                        If McFarlane becomes the starting center, thus putting Mo on the bench in the process, then he's pretty good and the Shocks will be a whole lot better than just a one-and-done participant (assuming, of course, the guards pitch in)...

Sounds good to me.
                        How good do you expect McFarlane to be right away?

Comment

• Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post

How good do you expect McFarlane to be right away?
                          If is a big word. I have no expectations. How about you?

Now Pleasant, on the other hand, will garner lots of minutes.

Comment

• I’m thinking McFarlane will be similar to past JUCO centers we’ve had at WSU. 10-15 mpg. 5 points 3 boards. Some exciting play on offense and spotty D.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                              I’m thinking McFarlane will be similar to past JUCO centers we’ve had at WSU. 10-15 mpg. 5 points 3 boards. Some exciting play on offense and spotty D.
                              Yep. Maybe pick it up a bit after semester break, which coincides nicely with the start of conference play.

If a combination of Pohto and McFarlane can hold Mo's minutes to something like 25, it's possible to see Mo's points stay the same and possibly his boards and D improve from his results last year. Fresher legs and lungs and fouls to give are huge.

Pohto and McFarlane are going to have to be "AAC-Ready" in a hurry for any of that to matter.
                              Last edited by WuTheOne; May 11, 2021, 09:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                                I’m thinking McFarlane will be similar to past JUCO centers we’ve had at WSU. 10-15 mpg. 5 points 3 boards. Some exciting play on offense and spotty D.
                                I'd be happy with those numbers, especially if it's a consistent 10-15 minute contribution, game in and game out vs. 15 minutes one game and then doesn't play more than 15 the next 2 (or 3) games combined. Sort of like we saw from Porter.

Comment

Working...
                                X