Cameron Barnes 6'10 C 2023 Offered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cameron Barnes 6'10 C 2023 Offered

KWCH reported last night that the Shockers offered this 2023 Texas player that grew up in Wichita. He is now 6'10, and is just going to be a Sophomore. He is currently going to Duncanville Texas High School and has offers from Baylor and 3 other Texas schools besides Wichita State.

Shocks02, What can you tell us about him?

https://youth1.com/basketball/2023-c...al-spotlight-0

Son of Cortez Barnes?

Comment

If you do a search on Cortez Barnes, you will find an Obit (I believe it was in the Eagle) where a Cortez Barnes was killed in a car wreck in Dallas and one of the survivors was a child named Cameron.

So I would suspect it is so, I'm sure someone will confirm soon.

Comment

Yes, Cameron is the son of Cortez Barnes

Comment

Had to do a double take since I remember playing against a Cortez Barnes from Wichita Southeast in high school in the mid-2000s. Looks like the Cortez I played against was Cortez Jr. and the Cortez who died was Cortez Sr.

Cortez Jr. nearly dunked on me when he was a freshman in high school. So, yeah, I'm not too shocked he has a brother who's outstanding at basketball.
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Cameron Barnes on Overtime last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
              Had to do a double take since I remember playing against a Cortez Barnes from Wichita Southeast in high school in the mid-2000s. Looks like the Cortez I played against was Cortez Jr. and the Cortez who died was Cortez Sr.

Cortez Jr. nearly dunked on me when he was a freshman in high school. So, yeah, I'm not too shocked he has a brother who's outstanding at basketball.
              Cortez, the all-state player, graduated from Heights around 1990. The kid in this clip is referring to his deceased dad, I assume Cortez.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

Cortez, the all-state player, graduated from Heights around 1990. The kid in this clip is referring to his deceased dad, I assume Cortez.
                Cortez was on the 1990 All City boys basketball team along with Mark Hutton from East and Steve Woodberry from South.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

Cortez was a big deal at Hutch Juco, then followed his Coach (Farrar?) to..........Mid Tenn State?

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

Cortez was a big deal at Hutch Juco, then followed his Coach (Farrar?) to..........Mid Tenn State?
                    He played at Tennessee as a Junior.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

He played at Tennessee as a Junior.
                      "The 36-year-old Barnes was a all-City League selection in 1989 and 1990, scoring 1,158 points as a high school player at Wichita Heights. He then played two seasons at HCC before transferring to South Carolina and later Southern Indiana, which won the NCAA Division II national championship in 1995 as Barnes scored 14 points and 10 rebounds in the title game."

I guess we're both wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

"The 36-year-old Barnes was a all-City League selection in 1989 and 1990, scoring 1,158 points as a high school player at Wichita Heights. He then played two seasons at HCC before transferring to South Carolina and later Southern Indiana, which won the NCAA Division II national championship in 1995 as Barnes scored 14 points and 10 rebounds in the title game."

I guess we're both wrong.
                        I wonder if the Cameron Barnes in the video I posted is the same as the son of Cortez Barnes we're talking about. In the video, he said he was six years old when his dad was killed in a car accident. If Cortez Barnes was killed in 2008, that would make Cameron around 18, which doesn't seem to jive.

Comment

From the article:

One player who is flying under the radar is Cameron Barnes, a long, athletic big man from Wichita, Kansas.
                          Huh? Poor research or something we don't know about?

If it's poor research, what are the odds they'd get Wichita by mistake? There's lots of things to be confused about with this situation.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Cameron is the son of former Heights All-state player Cortez Barnes Sr. He is from Wichita, but moved to TX with his dad and mom, but visits and stays at times in Wichita. His maternal grandparents live here. His grandfather is Pastor Lincoln Montgomery of Tabernacle Bible Church which is a few blocks West Of WSU on 17th street.

Comment

Originally posted by gmoney View Post
                              Cameron is the son of former Heights All-state player Cortez Barnes Sr. He is from Wichita, but moved to TX with his dad and mom, but visits and stays at times in Wichita. His maternal grandparents live here. His grandfather is Pastor Lincoln Montgomery of Tabernacle Bible Church which is a few blocks West Of WSU on 17th street.
                              Seems like a pretty strong tie. Let's do this.
                              Last edited by pinstripers; May 25, 2020, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X