Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alterique Gilbert 6'0 PG UConn Grad-Transfer a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bilau could be so dangerous on the pick-n-pop that post players won't be able to hedge on the guard. With a real PG on the roster, that can open up routes to the hoop. Then a defender is going to have to help by coming off of Wade or Dennis. My goodness, that would actually look like running an offense.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      Bilau could be so dangerous on the pick-n-pop that post players won't be able to hedge on the guard. With a real PG on the roster, that can open up routes to the hoop. Then a defender is going to have to help by coming off of Wade or Dennis. My goodness, that would actually look like running an offense.
      While revisiting the Final 4 run on YouTube several things struck me.

-We had three guards - FVV, Cotton, and Malcom - who could, and DID, attack the basket. Throw Cleanthony in there and hell, even Demetric.
      -Our passing was so much better. The team as a whole was great at spraying the ball up the floor in transition. Guys sprinted down court and were rewarded. We were almost always looking for the next teammate who had an easy look.
      -Carl Hall was a beast. He was so mobile on defense and in the PnR game. Great shot blocker.
      -Ehimen, Hall, Early, and Baker were erasers who all did it in different ways. Ehimen had his height, Hall and Early were explosive, and Baker just had the feel of a defensive back.
      -That team just had all the right pieces and played together so well. To your point we had two really good PGs and the difference it made to the offense was eye opening. Here’s hoping Gilbert and a JUCO or FVV level (haha) freshman can play more like them in terms of passing, penetration, and setting the tone of team basketball.

Comment

• Gilbert is a great addition to Wichita State. He is really good on both sides of the ball. Above average as a guard running an offense and as others have noted, a really good defender as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
          For a team that had as little success in the conference (outside of year one), has any fan base had a bigger ego than UGone’s??

Trashing a conference they failed to win ZERO times as mediocre?!
          You have a point, we absolutely sucked in the AAC aside from year one. However, a bad situation with our former coach gave way to many issues like attracting recruits into this conference. Along with the insane amount of traveling for our team, I can see any team struggling to deal with that. Despite that lack of success, the UConn brand still elevated the AAC and you guys will feel the repercussions now that we are in the Big East. And btw, our team is looking much better for next season while you guys barely even have a starting lineup right now. I do wish you guys the best, but you cannot deny that UConn would have had a great chance to win the AAC tourney this year.

As for Gilbert, I have always loved him as a player and have respected him for what he has gone through, mentally and physically. You guys are going to get a dawg who is very quick and agile. His shooting percentage does not look great, but if you look at his stats after he took a one-game absence in the season, he was shooting it at a better rate. His FT % is usually much better than what it was this season, so I do expect that to increase next season. He will be a great player for you guys and I know he will make your team much better for it. His pressure defense is second to none and he will get at any player. He just is not afraid to go at it with anyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

While revisiting the Final 4 run on YouTube several things struck me.

-We had three guards - FVV, Cotton, and Malcom - who could, and DID, attack the basket. Throw Cleanthony in there and hell, even Demetric.
            -Our passing was so much better. The team as a whole was great at spraying the ball up the floor in transition. Guys sprinted down court and were rewarded. We were almost always looking for the next teammate who had an easy look.
            -Carl Hall was a beast. He was so mobile on defense and in the PnR game. Great shot blocker.
            -Ehimen, Hall, Early, and Baker were erasers who all did it in different ways. Ehimen had his height, Hall and Early were explosive, and Baker just had the feel of a defensive back.
            -That team just had all the right pieces and played together so well. To your point we had two really good PGs and the difference it made to the offense was eye opening. Here’s hoping Gilbert and a JUCO or FVV level (haha) freshman can play more like them in terms of passing, penetration, and setting the tone of team basketball.
            Totally agree on your evaluation about the point guards. We had several guys that attacked and got to the cup by penetrating. I am sure Coach M is going to try and get more guys like that for the up coming recruiting class. Getting AG is an outstanding start. Now lets get a few more that believe in TEAM BASKETBALL. Go Shocks.

Comment

• Originally posted by UConnforLife View Post

You have a point, we absolutely sucked in the AAC aside from year one. However, a bad situation with our former coach gave way to many issues like attracting recruits into this conference. Along with the insane amount of traveling for our team, I can see any team struggling to deal with that. Despite that lack of success, the UConn brand still elevated the AAC and you guys will feel the repercussions now that we are in the Big East. And btw, our team is looking much better for next season while you guys barely even have a starting lineup right now. I do wish you guys the best, but you cannot deny that UConn would have had a great chance to win the AAC tourney this year.

As for Gilbert, I have always loved him as a player and have respected him for what he has gone through, mentally and physically. You guys are going to get a dawg who is very quick and agile. His shooting percentage does not look great, but if you look at his stats after he took a one-game absence in the season, he was shooting it at a better rate. His FT % is usually much better than what it was this season, so I do expect that to increase next season. He will be a great player for you guys and I know he will make your team much better for it. His pressure defense is second to none and he will get at any player. He just is not afraid to go at it with anyone.
              Thanks for chiming in.

I agree, you guys have a great roster. One I think Marshall could have won the league with (and one, like you said, that could have caused issues in the AAC Tourney). Lots of the type of players and athletes I’d love on WSU.

I love how all the UConn fans, like yourself, have nothing but praise for Al. Makes me even happier he’s coming. Can’t wait to see him ball out.

Now that the Big East is adding public schools, they might want to go to 12 teams and might not be long until we are conference mates again ;)
              The Assman

Comment

• Man, Al leading the charge for everyone else to sign as well.

A true leader ;)
                The Assman

Comment

• Yea, you don't think GGG and his generals weren't on the phone immediately after his commitment saying "You will have a burger boy feeding you the rock."

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

Now that the Big East is adding public schools, they might want to go to 12 teams and might not be long until we are conference mates again ;)
                    No thanks. The NBE would be 'tits on a bull' for WSU traveling to the northeast to play in a catholic league. I'm good playing schools like Memphis, Cincinnati, and Houston, and being able to drive to the conference tournament. (and staying on ESPN over Fox Sports)
                    Last edited by StunningSteve; March 29, 2020, 09:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by UConnforLife View Post
                      I do wish you guys the best, but you cannot deny that UConn would have had a great chance to win the AAC tourney this year.
                      BS. It's highly doubtful UConn would've won 2 games much less had the depth to beat the top teams in a tournament.

Comment

• No doubt UConn would have been a handful but it's a stretch to think they could have won the ACC tourney - a bigger stretch than us winning it.

Comment

• UConn just had another player enter the transfer portal. Sid Wilson.

Comment

• Originally posted by StunningSteve View Post
                            UConn just had another player enter the transfer portal. Sid Wilson.

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/st...94155321262085
                            Man, Hurley has really lost his touch. WTH is going on over there? Good grief, start the coaching search now. Anybody got any suggestions for a replacement?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post

Man, Hurley has really lost his touch. WTH is going on over there? Good grief, start the coaching search now. Anybody got any suggestions for a replacement?
                              Not sure, but Jeff ******* will be all over it in 3, 2, 1...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I hope UConn kicks cretins ass everytime they play.

Comment

Working...
                                X