Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alterique Gilbert 6'0 PG UConn Grad-Transfer a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the odds we can actually attract TWO outstanding PG's ? Could we get into that fight for PT again and
    unhappy players / bad chemistry ? I think there is more than one school of thought. Have to have players willing
    to accept and play their roles on the TEAM. This is where I am coming from with CG and his potential value. I see
    him as a solid guy that could rotate with AG & TE but he might not be satisfied with that role. Don't know but I
    could see 10-20 minutes a game for him this next season and who knows after that? I think our need for back court
    depth and his being a local kid counts for something. Just my humble thoughts if allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
      What are the odds we can actually attract TWO outstanding PG's ? Could we get into that fight for PT again and
      unhappy players / bad chemistry ? I think there is more than one school of thought. Have to have players willing
      to accept and play their roles on the TEAM. This is where I am coming from with CG and his potential value. I see
      him as a solid guy that could rotate with AG & TE but he might not be satisfied with that role. Don't know but I
      could see 10-20 minutes a game for him this next season and who knows after that? I think our need for back court
      depth and his being a local kid counts for something. Just my humble thoughts if allowed.
      I dont think you will run into the chemistry problem if they arent the same age. Having a 1 year grad transfer come in doesnt threaten the playing time of a kid with 3 or 4 years left to play. And can be a great mentor for the younger player.

So I would love to see 2 true PG studs together. AG and another one with 3 or 4 years to play or a sit out transfer with 2 years to play. Still gets the benefit of learning behind AG. As long as they arent both grad transfers it shouldnt be a problem. Just my opinion.
      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Realistically, if a true PG is looking for a spot .. We have to be considered an attractive spot.

1. No PG competition - lots of minutes
        2. having your 2 and 3 guard be snipers in Etienne and Dennis would look enticing.
        3. Toss in Wade as a solid rebounding 4 plus 2 bigs that are better rebounders than scorers

You are basically set up to run a guard driven offense with lots of minutes/points/assists to be had.

Comment

Followed on Instagram by both Kellen and Maggie now.

Starting to look more and more likely.
          The Assman

Comment

I see a lot of FVV in that highlight video.

The last time we had a senior transfer PG and a young PG backup (still need to secure that piece), it worked out pretty well.

Comment

So it's not a done deal yet?

I lept too quickly and thought it was a done deal.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                So it's not a done deal yet?

I lept too quickly and thought it was a done deal.
                There is just smoke at the moment. It's not done until we hear it from Gilbert

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

I dont think you will run into the chemistry problem if they arent the same age. Having a 1 year grad transfer come in doesnt threaten the playing time of a kid with 3 or 4 years left to play. And can be a great mentor for the younger player.

So I would love to see 2 true PG studs together. AG and another one with 3 or 4 years to play or a sit out transfer with 2 years to play. Still gets the benefit of learning behind AG. As long as they arent both grad transfers it shouldnt be a problem. Just my opinion.
                  Totally agree about your statement about being a great mentor to a younger player. For example , Malcolm Armstead was an excellent mentor for Fred Van Vleet. MA was a 5rh year player and was the perfect person to lead when Fred arrived as a freshmen. Sure hope we get AG. It would be a win /win for him and the shocks. Go Shocks.

Comment

Who is this stud freshman your talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

Let's see...
                      PG trade - Sherfield to Nevada for AG to WSU?
                      Deal!!!
                      Trading potential, I say potentially good PG for an established 5 Star, 22 year old proven PG who also happens to play bad ass defense!
                      Yea, I make that trade all day, every day!

That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                        Who is this stud freshman your talking about?
                        Ok I see where I may have created some confusion. Let me see if I can better explain what I am talking about. I don't know of any high school pg that the shocks are looking at. So its not the exact same situation as Malcolm A and Fred. But the Shocks are looking at several juco pg that have 3 years of eligibility. Thus if the shocks were fortunate to get AG to come, and then if one of those juco pg committed than that juco player would be able to be mentored by a 5th year graduate transfer. Juco players usually take some time to adjust to Div 1 play. Some people say 1 year. But it depends on the person.

I think the shocks are wanting to get back to taking players that believe in TEAM basketball. A highly rated juco prospect with 3 years of eligibility that is coming to play team ball will probably not be offended that they may have to give up some playing time to a 5th year graduate transfer that was also a McDonalds All American. I guess if the player comes in knowing that, it might be a good indication that they believe in TEAM basketball. That would be IMO and improvement on what we had last year when some players were just more interested in how much court time they got.

Hope this helps better explain my position. Go Shocks

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Ok I see where I may have created some confusion. Let me see if I can better explain what I am talking about. I don't know of any high school pg that the shocks are looking at. So its not the exact same situation as Malcolm A and Fred. But the Shocks are looking at several juco pg that have 3 years of eligibility. Thus if the shocks were fortunate to get AG to come, and then if one of those juco pg committed than that juco player would be able to be mentored by a 5th year graduate transfer. Juco players usually take some time to adjust to Div 1 play. Some people say 1 year. But it depends on the person.

I think the shocks are wanting to get back to taking players that believe in TEAM basketball. A highly rated juco prospect with 3 years of eligibility that is coming to play team ball will probably not be offended that they may have to give up some playing time to a 5th year graduate transfer that was also a McDonalds All American. I guess if the player comes in knowing that, it might be a good indication that they believe in TEAM basketball. That would be IMO and improvement on what we had last year when some players were just more interested in how much court time they got.

Exactly
                          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

We've offered one out of Carolina that's 6'4", name's Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

Thanks Doc, appreciate the words. I think Top is being sincere too.
                              Look, I would like for some local talent on the roster too. And if WSU was still toiling in the Valley GC might be a decent addition.
                              However, we found out this past year what happens if you don't have upper echelon specimens manning the floor.

People need to realize that UC, Houston, Temple, Memphis and to a lesser extent SMU,Tulsa and UCF USF are bringing and will continue to bring in players. I mean real deal players, not what you are used to seeing in Terre Haute or Des Moines.
                              They spend most of their recruiting budgets on scanning prep school & AAU talent, occasionally will hit the JC & eventually HS kids. Those places is where the talent is in todays world and how they will continue to fill their rosters.
                              The days of a college coach getting in a car, drive 150 miles to watch some HS kid play a game or two are over for the alpha dogs. The top level players know it too and why so many post HS teams aka basketball factories, are so common. They have the $$$, the reputations and just as important, the contacts.
                              I see it every summer either working as a clinician at camps or asked to officiate the higher level competition. And with each summer, it becomes even more prominent.

HCGM knows it and I'm confident won't make the same mistake he did with this latest group. Either bring in the level has to have to compete with the big dogs in this league or be content to fight it out with ECU, Tulane or whomever for 4th-7th place.

That is all.
                              Absolutely being sincere. 0% sarcasm.

Comment

Starting to have visions of a backcourt compromised of AG, TE, and DD....

Oh, baby!
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X