X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teddy also has had a year sitting out to work on that shot

Comment

Shockm posted: "
      Tekele did struggle from the perimeter early in his career or at least enough for teams to back off from guarding him and guard others instead. TC got in the gym and worked on it and improved. I don’t know if this stat is available but if my memory serves me well, he scored well in NCAA Tournament games during his career."

Cotton's shooting by year:

FR: .508 FG / .348 3pt / .643 FT

SO: .440 FG / .364 3pt / .537 FT

JR: .452 FG / .371 3pt / .692 FT

SR: .412 FG / .289 3pt / .705 FT

NCAA Tournament Games:

1st year: 1 game / 2-3 FG / 2-3 2pt / 0-0 3pt / 0-1 FT / 4 points

2nd year: 5 games / 14-30 FG / 8-18 2pt / 6-12 3pt / 5-10 FT / 39 points / 7.8 ppg (went 4-6 from 3 against Zags and Ohio St)

3rd year: 2 games / 1-5 FG / 0-1 2pt / 1-4 3pt / 2-2 FT / 5 points / 2.5 ppg

4th year: 3 games / 12-27 FG / 10-19 2pt / 2-8 3pt / 8-10 FT / 34 points / 11.3 ppg ( scored 19 against KU, by far his best scoring game)

Totals: 11 games / 29-65 (.446) FG / 20-41 (.488) 2pt / 9-29 (.375) 3pt / 15-23 (.652) FT / 82 points / 7.5 ppg

Cotton's best 3pt shooting year in the NCAAs was his sophomore year, however, his FTs went from 5-11 his first 2 years to 10-12 the last 2 years.

Outside of his KU game, he did not score more than 10 points in any other game. In the F4 year, he was very consistent scoring 6,8,6,10, and 9.

Let's remember, that while Cotton had a bucket full of highlight dunks, he was not a scorer. He was the lock down defender who had a balanced game, always gave his all, great teammate, and an example to every player who ever stepped on the court with him. There's good reason I still have him as my avatar.

Comment

• shoxlax
        shoxlax commented
        Editing a comment
        He also was one of the best conditioned players in the programs history.

• WstateU
        WstateU commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s difficult to pick my all-time favorite WU/WSU player, but if I’m splitting hairs, TC would be very close.

RM would also be in the mix. :)

P.S. Ross McBurney’s jersey should be hanging in the rafters.

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
      Shockm posted: "
      Tekele did struggle from the perimeter early in his career or at least enough for teams to back off from guarding him and guard others instead. TC got in the gym and worked on it and improved. I don’t know if this stat is available but if my memory serves me well, he scored well in NCAA Tournament games during his career."

Cotton's shooting by year:

FR: .508 FG / .348 3pt / .643 FT

SO: .440 FG / .364 3pt / .537 FT

JR: .452 FG / .371 3pt / .692 FT

SR: .412 FG / .289 3pt / .705 FT

NCAA Tournament Games:

1st year: 1 game / 2-3 FG / 2-3 2pt / 0-0 3pt / 0-1 FT / 4 points

2nd year: 5 games / 14-30 FG / 8-18 2pt / 6-12 3pt / 5-10 FT / 39 points / 7.8 ppg (went 4-6 from 3 against Zags and Ohio St)

3rd year: 2 games / 1-5 FG / 0-1 2pt / 1-4 3pt / 2-2 FT / 5 points / 2.5 ppg

4th year: 3 games / 12-27 FG / 10-19 2pt / 2-8 3pt / 8-10 FT / 34 points / 11.3 ppg ( scored 19 against KU, by far his best scoring game)

Totals: 11 games / 29-65 (.446) FG / 20-41 (.488) 2pt / 9-29 (.375) 3pt / 15-23 (.652) FT / 82 points / 7.5 ppg

Cotton's best 3pt shooting year in the NCAAs was his sophomore year, however, his FTs went from 5-11 his first 2 years to 10-12 the last 2 years.

Outside of his KU game, he did not score more than 10 points in any other game. In the F4 year, he was very consistent scoring 6,8,6,10, and 9.

Let's remember, that while Cotton had a bucket full of highlight dunks, he was not a scorer. He was the lock down defender who had a balanced game, always gave his all, great teammate, and an example to every player who ever stepped on the court with him. There's good reason I still have him as my avatar.
      Hear, hear...

Cotton never, but never, lost a loose ball battle. If it was on the deck, and Cotton was near it, the Shocks were gettin' the ball back. Without exception. Evan W. was a close second, almost like a 1A.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Hear, hear...

Cotton never, but never, lost a loose ball battle. If it was on the deck, and Cotton was near it, the Shocks were gettin' the ball back. Without exception. Evan W. was a close second, almost like a 1A.
        Reading this reminded me of a photograph that was taken at a shocker practice. It was a photo of Tekel Cotton battling Evan Wessel for a loose ball. I dont know who took the picture but it was awesome. If ever there was a photo that illustrated the play angry mojo it was this photo. I wish I had it because I would post it. They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Comment

• Wuzee
          Wuzee commented
          Editing a comment
          It's so odd to have to yell at guys in Shocker uniforms to "GET ON THE GROUND!" when there's a loose ball. They're getting better, but we still have one or two instances a game where I think "Ev would've had that one." Can't wait until that component of Play Angry is second nature again.

If I recall, TC had a slight gut injury his Soph year that caused some issue with his shot. There was a period during the year where he couldn’t hit a thing, but he got back in the gym and corrected it. Also, I said this about him a long time ago, what I love about TC is that he just played so consistently. You never heard anyone say, “what a bonehead play by Tekele”. He may have has some screwups at some point, but it was mighty rare.

Comment

• pie n eye
          pie n eye commented
          Editing a comment
          He also had a knack for making a big play at critical moments.
      Working...
      X