No announcement yet.

Is there anyone like Cleanthony Early?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMHO Teddy, who has little to no outside game, fits more into the mold of Cheese Johnson. A guy who did his work in close and in traffic and somehow created and made shots when seemingly none was there.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      IMHO Teddy, who has little to no outside game, fits more into the mold of Cheese Johnson. A guy who did his work in close and in traffic and somehow created and made shots when seemingly none was there.
      A fair assessment, but I hope Teddy is working on that outside shot this year. In some of the videos he was making outside shots. His form looks good. The last guy that played the 4 position at about his height under Marshall was Ben Smith. And he could shoot.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
        1972Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm sure Teddy is probably working on his outside shot although in the Black and Yellow Scrimmage his form looked really poor to me.

It is possible to rebuild a shot in a year although the longer a player plays and shoots with poor form and mechanics the harder it is to break those habits and rebuild the muscle memory. In any case, I don't think we will be relying much on Teddy's perimeter game.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      I wasn't comparing Teddy's game to Cle. Definitely different. The original question was concerning who we could recruit as a juco or transfer to spark the program. Teddy is that guy and he's already in the program. During the black and yellow scrimmage he was the best player on the floor.

Comment

I hope Teddy plays the 3 next year. Rod and IPBC have shown some flashes. Adding Gordon to the mix will hopefully be enough to keep Teddy and DD on the wing.
        Livin the dream

Comment

Height is always right? LOL

Teddy's skills may be more conducive to the 4. I don't care if he plays the 3 or not. Notre Dame played Colson at the 4 the entire time just last year and he was an All American. Sometimes our best line up may include both Dexter and Teddy. Some of us just want a box that we can plug our players into like robots. Play Teddy at both the 3 and 4 if that helps us win. That is all that matters. WIN.

Comment

Teddy doesn't have the skills of a 3

Comment

• ShockTalk
              ShockTalk commented
              Editing a comment
              Does Teddy and Cotton compare at all?

• C0|dB|00ded
              C0|dB|00ded commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, you could compare them as exact opposites. Teddy is all offense and little defense - athleticism is suspect; flip the script with Tekele.

T

...:cool:

I don’t think we’ve ever had anyone like Teddy. He has a non traditional scorer that may or may not be able to shoot from deep. It’s not his form nor his athleticism that allows him to score...it’s something else.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
              C0|dB|00ded commented
              Editing a comment
              He crafty.

T

...:cool:

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            Teddy doesn't have the skills of a 3
            Teddy is more similar to Dexter than anyone else. I agree that he doesn’t fit the 3 box quite like Dexter does but he’s close. Dexter and Teddy have some guard skills (dribbling)and even more forward skills. They handle it ok. They both drive to the rim pretty well and can finish at the rim very well more and rebounding is a strength for both Dexter and Teddy. Neither of them have back to the basket post up skills (unless they have a person guarding them who isn’t strong), but as a 4 they both can face the basket and take a bigger forward outside. Teddy does probably need to work on his outside shot but I like Dexter and Teddy playing together some of the time. This too will create mismatches with their varied skills.

Comment

Based on what I saw at the Shocker Scrimmage, Teddy takes a lot of the same garbage shots that SHJ, MM, and others sometimes take--the ones that look like they drove into the paint without much of a plan other than to throw up some bullshit and pray--only Teddy's go in.
              The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• wufan
                wufan commented
                Editing a comment
                McDuffie makes a ridiculous percentage of bad shots.

Originally posted by wufan View Post
              I don’t think we’ve ever had anyone like Teddy. He has a non traditional scorer that may or may not be able to shoot from deep. It’s not his form nor his athleticism that allows him to score...it’s something else.
              In the video of Teddy playing against Copping State last year at West Virginia Teddy's shooting 3pointers look pretty good to me. He also showed good form in the highs school videos. But I understand why many still have doubt. So we will have to just wait and see if he can consistently shoot 3pointers. I heard he is working on it. But the rest of his game is dominating. He can flat out score midrange, he is good going to the basket, grabbing rebound and taking it the length of the court to score. He killed Kstate and Oklahoma last year. I have to think a year working with Coach Marshall he will improve his game. He was the best player on the court in the black and yellow scrimmage this year. As usual Coach said he needed to improve his defense.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                ShockTalk commented
                Editing a comment
                Seriously? You're pulling out the game against Coppin friggin' St where TA played his second most minutes for the season, WVU won 77-38, and he shot 2-5 from 3pt after going 1-14 in the previous 10 games, then went 0-3 against Fordham after Coppin, and only shot 3 more 3 pointers (0-3) the remaining 20 games he played (3-25 for the season)?

And when MM’s bad shots don’t fall we are toast, because he keeps shooting them. But when they fall opposing coaches think he is an NBA player.

Comment

There's a student/athlete playing for the Shocks right now who looks like the spitting image of Early... He's #1 on the court. Comes from New Jersey.

Comment

I don’t think of Duff as Cle because he doesn’t have Fred, Baker, or even Cotton to play beside or lean on for support. He’s trying to carry this team almost by himself. But in spite of his lack of reliable supporting experience on this team of young Freshmen, he’s been our biggest inspiration even when he occasionally makes an inevitable mistake. IMO, Duff is why we’ve had any success this year and ranks up there with the greatest Shox, certainly deserving of a future Shocker HOF spot.

Comment

Shocktalk, I never said TA was a good 3 point shooter. In fact if you closely read my post you will see that I stated that I understood why people have doubt. I used the CoppinSt game to highlight his form and that it looked good to me. I further stated that we will have to wait and see if he can consistently shoot 3 ponters.

However one thing is clear. TA form for shooting 3 pointers and his offense is significantly better than Tekel Cotton when he was a freshman. And TC turned into a pretty reliable 3 point shooter by the end of his career due to a lot of work. I hope Teddy is working just as hard. Go shocks.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                      ShockTalk commented
                      Editing a comment
                      We're good TheShocktocles. Good form or not, TA shot 3s poorly going 3-25 (.120). If Cotton had bad form as a freshman, at least he was 8-23 (.348). TC topped out at .371 his junior year, but fell to .289 his senior year.

• Shockm
                      Shockm commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Tekele did struggle from the perimeter early in his career or at least enough for teams to back off from guarding him and guard others instead. TC got in the gym and worked on it and improved. I don’t know if this stat is available but if my memory serves me well, he scored well in NCAA Tournament games during his career.

It should be noted that Teddy shot ~ 40% from 3 as a high school upper classman
                    Livin the dream

Comment

• ShockTalk
                      ShockTalk commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for adding that! Gives me hope they just can't "pack it in" on him.
                  Working...
                  X