No announcement yet.

Is there anyone like Cleanthony Early?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anyone like Cleanthony Early?

Is there any JUCO or Grad transfers out there that can give this team a shot of energy next year, kind of like what Early did?

Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post
    Is there any JUCO or Grad transfers out there that can give this team a shot of energy next year, kind of like what Early did?
    I'm sure they're out there, but there's 300+ teams looking for them.
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Yes. I’m sure the JUCO D2 ranks are swollen with NBA caliber players.
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Seriously aren’t you supposed to be in school while you’re posting all of this?

To answer your question there very well may be.
      Last edited by shoxlax; January 15, 2019, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Looking back, Cleanthony was an insane steal that I’m not sure how we ever even landed in the first place. There was a time when a lot of us thought freshman Markis could equal or exceed Cleanthony’s ability after 4 years in the program.

Comment

I think Gordon will eventually prove to be closer to Cle than Duff has been...

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
          Looking back, Cleanthony was an insane steal that I’m not sure how we ever even landed in the first place. There was a time when a lot of us thought freshman Markis could equal or exceed Cleanthony’s ability after 4 years in the program.
          A statistical comparison was made on the men’s basketball forum recently that made a case that their numbers are pretty similar.

That reinforces what my eyes and cloudy memory tells me but its tough to really say how Cle would have done on this years team and Markis on the FF and 35-1 team.

Comment

• ShockTalk
            ShockTalk commented
            Editing a comment
            Comparisons were being made of Cle's junior F4 year and MM's senior year. While I believe it is very hard to compare similar players on completely different types of teams, Cle was in a different league than MM in his senior year. If you doubt that, go back and look at some high profile games where Cle was simply taking over and almost unstoppable by some of the best players out there.

By the way, I do not think Cle would have been a better leader than MM, maybe not as good. It's just hard to say.

• Dan
            Dan commented
            Editing a comment
            Cle ran the floor better than any forward we’ve had in the past 20 years.

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
          I was not one of those that thought MM could duplicate Cle. But I do have high hopes for the Gordon kid from Alabama. He needs to put on some weight. But he can handle the ball better than both Cle and MM. He can shoot midrange good and dunks with authority. His 3point shot is improving in the videos I saw. He and Teddy Allen should helps us next year.

Comment

I remember Cle staying on his feet, which I have found helpful when playing basketball.

Comment

Dunno about a better leader, but Cle was a better player.

Comment

Yeah Dan - agree Cle was the best forward we have had in 20 years. I thought for sure after our Final Four run with him we'd be getting similar type players (6'-8" athletes) going forward. Here it is 6 years later and no.

Since future pro 6'-8" athletes are hard to get and require cash to play....I suppose I feel sorry for him as he coulda made some money had he signed with the Bubbles, Kentucky, Duke or Carolina.
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
              Number of Times Ranked: 157
              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
              #3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
              #2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Out of curiosity, anyone know how old was Cle was his Junior/Senior year? Seems like Markis is a couple years younger at the same stage in his career.

For the record, I’ll take a player of Markis’ caliber every single year. Sure he’s not perfect but he’s pretty dang good. Could be even better if surrounded by the right mix of players.

Comment

• WstateU
                  WstateU commented
                  Editing a comment
                  MM was 17 when he arrived on campus. Coach Marshall mentioned on the last coaches show that he's still a young senior. I believe he's 21; he's still a wobbly legged calf.

https://media.giphy.com/media/UssVHCLoJoHDi/giphy.gif

• pie n eye
                  pie n eye commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Indeed. I remember Cle being much stronger and direct in traffic. Seems like he invited contact whereas McDuffie tries to contort away from it. Also McDuffie gets hacked or bumped several times a game with no call.

You just knew when Cleo got the ball and was breaking past half court to score, no one (at least I don't remember anyone) was going to catch him or stop him from scoring.

Comment

Hes already on our bench. Teddy!

Comment

Originally posted by fuball7 View Post

Hes already on our bench. Teddy!
                    He kind of reminds me of a slightly shorter Paul Pierce. He just seems to have that scoring knack, according the available film.

Comment

Working...
                    X