Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Josaphat Bilau 6'10 PF/C 2019 a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
    So many new players I am excited to watch develop! I am most excited about JoBil, but I am also trying to exercise the highest level of patience.
    About patience, not me, I'm pounding sand right now in fact! I can't wait to see what he can do, and I expect him to be a beast sooner than later. It just depends on when he fully understands the message the coaching staff wants him to hear.

Comment

• I have watched J Bilau video several times and while I am impressed with his dribbling and shooting skills, I wonder if he will be able to learn to play college defense the way Marshall demands. He seems to have great lateral quickness when he is dribbling. Thus, I hope it also transfers to defense when he doesnt have the ball. As Coach always says "DEFENSE TRAVELS".

Comment

• Ol skool
        Ol skool commented
        Editing a comment
        Is there anyone else defense you wonder about?

• OL skool, now that you ask, I would say yes. It's just my opinion so it doesn't carry any weight, but I would say all of the freshmen. Making the transition from high school to Div 1 basketball is not easy. And to learn how Coach Marshall demands defense is quite challenging. I recall E. Stevenson saying it took half the season for most of the newcomers to figure out what Coach M. was teaching and preaching. Yeah Coach told them what to do and they thought that they understood but now they know that they truly didn't understand. That's called growth.

T. Cotton is the only guy I can think of that understood so quickly what was demanded. I think I read that his mother played college basketball and taught him from early age the value of defense. Cotton also played defense for a few years in football. That sport will teach you spacing , assignments and helping when your co-defender gets beat.

I think E.Stevenson, J. Burton, and D. Dennis might form a very good perimeter defense this year. I hope.

Comment

• Dan
        Dan commented
        Editing a comment
        Toure Murry is another guy that was a good defender from Day 1. I think Etienne has a chance to be at this level. Dexter was an elite defender 2nd half of his freshmen year.

• Defense from the 5 would probably be the easiest for JB to pick up. But we have a log jam there with some quality experience. He may be able to pick up defending the 4. But imo, picking up defending guards won’t be easy for a while. He has a lot to learn and is inexperienced.

Comment

• Wuzee
        Wuzee commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree. I don't expect him to see a lot of court time this year, especially with a slimmed-down, much quicker Poor Bear available at the 4. He just needs to learn the college game and get comfortable. The upside is huge and the minutes will be there next year when Jamie moves on.

• Whatever happened to Josphat Bilau? Has he been playing or redshirt?

Comment

• Originally posted by California Shocker View Post
        Whatever happened to Josphat Bilau? Has he been playing or redshirt?
        Has not played yet. Has had some injury issues. 3G has not ruled out the possibility of playing him this year. But at this point the redshirt is still in play and I think it will probably stay that way. But we'll see.

Comment

• Thanks 1972

Comment

• Depending on how he can help our offense this year I would think would very much come into play. That being said I hope he keeps the redshirt for no other reason than to at least break up the freshman class.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
              Depending on how he can help our offense this year I would think would very much come into play. That being said I hope he keeps the redshirt for no other reason than to at least break up the freshman class.
              I too hope he keeps the redshirt. More than breaking up the freshman class I just think this will be the best for the Shocker program in the longer term as well as the best thing for Josaphat. However, if our goal is to get old and stay old as 3G has expressed is a worthy goal breaking up the 5-player freshman class a little bit is probably not a bad thing either.

Comment

• Bump

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
                  Bump
                  Bump? Dammit man, I was hoping to read an update on whether or not the young man is actually practicing but will remain in RedShirt status...

Comment

• Any word on how this young man is looking in practice? If he is over his injuries? Sorry if you hit this looking for un update :).

Comment

• MK answered a question about the feasibility of lifting the redshirt if DD didn't come back. Answer was that the young man has skills and is coming along but NO reason to use him this year because the 4 spot is still pretty full and DD being gone would not open any of those minutes.

Comment

• I assume that JoBil is the 5th center and 4th PF on the roster right now. Despite Gordon’s encouraging play yesterday, I saw no indication that he is ready to take any minutes on the wing.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                          Despite Gordon’s encouraging play yesterday, I saw no indication that he is ready to take any minutes on the wing.
                          Poor Bear will probably be back next game, but if he's not back and while DD is on leave, Gordon is the next one up at the 4, and isn't a redshirt possibility anymore.

Comment

Working...
                          X