No announcement yet.

Gethro Muscadin 6'10 PF/C Kansas Transfer to New Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mean, yeah, I’d be ok if this guy wanted to come here.

Having said that, McFarlane looks better against tougher competition on his video. But yeah, it would be nice to have two mobile 6’10 guys in the center rotation. Is that an understatement?

Comment

Endless Motor Sports
      @endless_motor
      Kansas transfer Gethro Muscadin conducted a call with Wichita State today. Athletic 6’10 big is a former top 100 HS prospect that can stretch the floor + protect the rim. Very high ceiling here.

3:32 PM · Apr 7, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Comment

Although he only played 35 minutes at KU this past season, this sentence from the KU website inspires some hope.

OVERVIEW
        Ranked as the No. 17 best center in the 2020 class by Rivals.com …Started playing basketball when he was 15 years old and moved to the United States when he was 16 .

Kansas Jayhawks | Official Athletics Site | #35 Gethro Muscadin, Guard (kuathletics.com)

Here's an article talking about Gehtro's path to KU.

Future KU big man Muscadin works out in Kentucky | The Kansas City Star
        Last edited by shocks02; April 7, 2021, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
          Although he only played 35 minutes at KU this past season, this sentence from the KU website inspires some hope.

OVERVIEW
          Ranked as the No. 17 best center in the 2020 class by Rivals.com …Started playing basketball when he was 15 years old and moved to the United States when he was 16 .

Kansas Jayhawks | Official Athletics Site | #35 Gethro Muscadin, Guard (kuathletics.com)

Here's an article talking about Gehtro's path to KU.

Future KU big man Muscadin works out in Kentucky | The Kansas City Star
          If he moved to the US at 16 ... I'm guessing most of his support system is in wichita since he played here 3 years

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

If he moved to the US at 16 ... I'm guessing most of his support system is in wichita since he played here 3 years
            ...and he's probably used to the wind. Lol - I kid but seriously. Lol.
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

From the Wichita Eagle today:

MUSCADIN UPDATE

Muscadin, a 6-10, 220-pound freshman forward from Haiti, on Wednesday had a Zoom recruiting call with coaches from Wichita State, according to Endless Motor Sports. He’s also heard from coaches from Rutgers, New Mexico, UNLV, Colorado State, Sam Houston and UT-San Antonio, Endless Motor Sports reports.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post

...and he's probably used to the wind. Lol - I kid but seriously. Lol.
                You never get used to the wind lol

Comment

Mo played 24 min/game this year so I imagine he will play at least that next year if not more which means there are approximately 16 available minutes at the 5.

If I had to guess I would say that McFarlane is going to eat up the majority of those minutes depending on how quickly he gets acclimated.

Based on what I’ve seen, which is obviously very little, I don’t think Muscadin is as game ready McFarlane. So, would Muscadin be happy with 5-10 minutes per game depending on foul trouble, etc? Could McFarlane slot over to the 4 to allow Muscadin more time at the 5?

If he can defend and rebound he seems like he could be perfect guy to play spot minutes next year as the third center while he develops which is more than he was doing at KU. No idea how interested he is or we are so this is all just idle off season speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                    Mo played 24 min/game this year so I imagine he will play at least that next year if not more which means there are approximately 16 available minutes at the 5.

If I had to guess I would say that McFarlane is going to eat up the majority of those minutes depending on how quickly he gets acclimated.

Based on what I’ve seen, which is obviously very little, I don’t think Muscadin is as game ready McFarlane. So, would Muscadin be happy with 5-10 minutes per game depending on foul trouble, etc? Could McFarlane slot over to the 4 to allow Muscadin more time at the 5?

If he can defend and rebound he seems like he could be perfect guy to play spot minutes next year as the third center while he develops which is more than he was doing at KU. No idea how interested he is or we are so this is all just idle off season speculation.
                    I think Udeze over extended his mpg out of necessity. He might still get 24 minutes, but I am doubtful. Will certainly depend on personnel, and potentially match-ups.

Assuming Action Jackson is the default starter at 4, maybe he gets 20-24 minutes. Should be 30 minutes available to split between McFarlane + 1 more. Not an easy sell, but we just need one more to buy in.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

I think Udeze over extended his mpg out of necessity. He might still get 24 minutes, but I am doubtful. Will certainly depend on personnel, and potentially match-ups.

Assuming Action Jackson is the default starter at 4, maybe he gets 20-24 minutes. Should be 30 minutes available to split between McFarlane + 1 more. Not an easy sell, but we just need one more to buy in.
                      I looked back at Stutz, Hall, and Shaq’s senior years and Hall led the group with 28 minutes. Shaq and Stutz both played around 24 per game.

Even with Carl playing 28 a game we still had Ehimen playing 15 per game and Lufile playing 7. If I remember, Carl did slot over at the 4 sometimes with Lufile or Ehimen playing center.

All this is to back up your thought that 24 might be the max for Mo, as an average. Of course he played 30+ minutes in our biggest games this year and I would expect that to be the case next year unless he gets in foul trouble or McFarlane is just that good.

Like you said, the minutes are there this year with more to come in future years. Does he want to play more now at either a lower level or a team that isn’t playing for championships or does he want to play less now and have all the things that come with playing at WSU?

Comment

One of Mo's biggest improvements as the season went on was his ability to stay on the floor for extended minutes without fouling. In our last seven games he averaged 30.4 minutes and 2.3 fouls. Prior to that he played 20.7 mpg with 3.6 fpg (15 games).

So for the first 2/3rds of the season he averaged 1 foul for each 5.8 minutes played. In the last third, it was one foul for each 13.2 minutes. Damn impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                          One of Mo's biggest improvements as the season went on was his ability to stay on the floor for extended minutes without fouling. In our last seven games he averaged 30.4 minutes and 2.3 fouls. Prior to that he played 20.7 mpg with 3.6 fpg (15 games).

So for the first 2/3rds of the season he averaged 1 foul for each 5.8 minutes played. In the last third, it was one foul for each 13.2 minutes. Damn impressive.
                          It is impressive, but if we had help at the 5, he could be more aggressive. It's always good if he knows how to stay out of foul trouble. But, this year he was the second leading scorer and the only reliable 5 man (sometimes literally the only 5 man due to injury).

Maybe if we have another good center he can contest shots harder, pursue balls more aggressively, push guards further out with screens, etc since someone else can check in for a few if he body slams one too many driving guards.

Comment

A better comparison for what we are looking for was the 2013-2014 undefeated season which featured the 3 headed monster of Carter (18 mpg), Lufile (16 mpg) and Coleby (13 mpg). They combined for approx 17 points, 12.5 rebounds and 3 blocks per game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              A better comparison for what we are looking for was the 2013-2014 undefeated season which featured the 3 headed monster of Carter (18 mpg), Lufile (16 mpg) and Coleby (13 mpg). They combined for approx 17 points, 12.5 rebounds and 3 blocks per game.
                              Say what you will about The Rug but the man can coach and understands the importance of defense so at a minimum this 6’10 athletic guy received a year of solid coaching at a program where defense is emphasized.

Who knows if he comes here or if he’s actually any good but its fun to imagine having two 6’10 mobile erasers to swap in and out to play behind Dexter and steals king Jordan Goldwire or Mikey Saunders. That kind of size and depth at the 5 might allow us to gamble a little more on the perimiter.

Its the offseason so I can dream.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Say what you will about The Rug but the man can coach and understands the importance of defense so at a minimum this 6’10 athletic guy received a year of solid coaching at a program where defense is emphasized.

Who knows if he comes here or if he’s actually any good but its fun to imagine having two 6’10 mobile erasers to swap in and out to play behind Dexter and steals king Jordan Goldwire or Mikey Saunders. That kind of size and depth at the 5 might allow us to gamble a little more on the perimiter.

Its the offseason so I can dream.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X