Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Teddy Allen 6'5 F-WVU Transfer a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So we are out of ships right? I assume Allen still gets one during the year he sits out. Or am I incorrect?

Comment

• Stickboy46
      Stickboy46 commented
      Editing a comment
      That is correct. As it is right now. We have no 2018-2019 scholarships open.

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Didn't we have a post player for a year or 2 from Minnesota (I think) with the first name of Teddy?
    Chester, Pennsylvania

Comment

Originally posted by Speak2me View Post
      So we are out of ships right? I assume Allen still gets one during the year he sits out. Or am I incorrect?
      Presently, we are at our limit.

Comment

For appearing to have a 11” verticle the guy does look fairly quick/athletic dribbling and driving. This guy needs to study tape of James Harden. They are the same size with similar builds. Harden has become a superstar because of his ability use his strength to drive in the lane, draw fouls, and finish through contact. I read the other day that Harden has attempted 1,200 more free throws the last 5 years than the guy with the second most.

Comment

• Shock Top
          Shock Top commented
          Editing a comment
          I want him to make 1000 jump shots a day, during his RS year.

And weighted jumping exercises!

• Woodrow
          Woodrow commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd settle for 1000 shots made over his career as long as they are in games.

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
        For appearing to have a 11” verticle the guy does look fairly quick/athletic dribbling and driving. This guy needs to study tape of James Harden. They are the same size with similar builds. Harden has become a superstar because of his ability use his strength to drive in the lane, draw fouls, and finish through contact. I read the other day that Harden has attempted 1,200 more free throws the last 5 years than the guy with the second most.
        Good comparison. Harden looks sluggish on the court but he knows how to put the ball in the basket and get to the foul line. Gig difference right now is that Harden uses his 3 point shooting as a big weapon where this guy doesn’t have that yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
          We don't need guys who can get to the rim and score. We only need guys to shoot the three. (Sarcasm)

Over the last two seasons, we really needed a guy who could penetrate or create his own shot. Too many guys sitting on the three point line waiting to catch and shoot. Not to worried about the three ball. Teams backed off Rashard and ZB because they couldn't shoot, but also because they were not a threat to score from anywhere.

He'll do well.
          This is the take I agree with the most. Our offense struggled at times at the end of the season because teams would just dare us to shoot it. They'd sag off a couple players and just pack the paint. It was VERY effective for the players we had. Getting a guy like Allen will help with that immediately. Won't be looking to shoot on the perimeter, but will be creating his own shot from inside.

Edit: And by "intermediately" I mean in 2019 since he'll have to sit a year...

Comment

The coaching staff must have liked him enough to give him the kind of sales pitch that had him commit at his visit.

Any reports of other teams that reached out to him? I'd have to imagine there were several.
            The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Well national/regional experts like Corey Evans, CJ Moore, and Patellus like him and think we got a steal. I would guess that Gregg and the coaching staff like him. Aargh and CB don't like him. In a couple of months we will hear more and a year down the road, we will know who is right.

Comment

• Aargh
              Aargh commented
              Editing a comment
              At one time I "liked" Ricky Ross. Follow basketball for enough years and watch enough college careers and you learn not to go all "rah rah" over every single player brought into the program.

Next year Marshall will be able to go home at night and say to Lynn, "They really aren't paying me enough for what I gotta do".

• Shockm
              Shockm commented
              Editing a comment
              There are some negative parts to Teddy, there is no doubt about it. He's not a perfect player and a slam dunk, and he is another in the big Freshman class. One can make a case for not being a believer in Teddy. If there weren't any negatives, he would still be at WVU. Cremo was my first choice but I don't think we were ever in the game on him. I'm a huge believer in Gregg and I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt so Teddy gets my support.

First post in a long time.

From what I recall of watching Teddy play quite a few games this past year, along with looking at stats, I am reminded of Jamar Howard. Teddy is not the defender yet that Jamar was, but certainly shoots better from the FT Line. Teddy certainly does not match what Jamar did from the 3 his sophomore year (18-40), but will beat Jamar's other years from 3.

Coach Marshall as we know is a defense first coach, but so is Huggins, so it won't be like Teddy will be asked to play defense for the first time. However, a transfer year to work with the staff should help and hopefully he will be back in 2019-2020 as an improved defensive player who can score inside and rebound like Jamar.

I, as always, am excited with the recruiting year. I know that we are really heavy on what appears to be the '21/'22 graduating class, but that is a long way off and we all know how things change in college basketball. We may have one or two who will prove good enough to move on to the next level before their senior years. We may have a couple who do not find enough minutes and choose to transfer. It's life in today's world. My bet is that we will not have 8 seniors in the '21/'22 season.

On to some personal stuff:

Sorry to say that I had to give up my season tickets after all these decades. Retirement, then three Cancer surgeries since August and upcoming knee surgeries for my wife, has sapped the resources to the point that there is no way I'll ever be able to afford them again. Friday, my wife will have the first of both knee replacements. Please, save, save, save for retirement.

I'd already given up the travel to the away games, tournaments, etc. We can always relish in the memories from the trips to all the MVC towns except Terre Haute, to Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Salt Lake City, Los Angeles, Atlanta, New York City (NIT), Sioux Falls, Tulsa, Kansas City, etc., many of these multiple times. Then of course, the 18 consecutive years at Arch Madness in St Louis. We got to know so many of the fans, players and the coaching staff during these trips and have developed some lasting friendships. We also made the trips to watch players who had committed to the Shockers during their senior high school years, twice to the Minneapolis area to watch Jake White and to Moore, OK to watch Shaq play a road game. Also to Miami, OK to watch Orukpe play a JUCO road game. We developed relationships from these trips as well. We watched future Shockers play in Hutch too.

We went to Omaha twice to watch Jake play for UNO, followed by dinner with he, Jordane and his family. We currently are wondering if my wife's knees will allow us to make it to Omaha for Jake and Jordane's wedding. I fear we may have to decline between her knees and my upcoming Chemo treatments.

While I seldom post, I am a constant watcher of Shockernet, especially the Recruiting board. I truly appreciate all the info you provide. Thanks to what i learn here, I'm often tuned in to those moments when recruits announce their signings to WSU. This board brings me a great deal of enjoyment and though I know very few of you personally, you are all my friends as Shocker fans.

Best wishes

Comment

• forevershockerfan
              forevershockerfan commented
              Editing a comment
              Sure did enjoy that post and hope you keep posting when possible. My prayers are with both your wife and you for healing.

• ShockTalk
              ShockTalk commented
              Editing a comment
              Keep posting when you can and very fortunate to know you and your wife. Few could ever call someone else better overall Shocker basketball fans IMHO. You are "Shocker family" to a number of the young men who have come through here. Myself and my wife's best to you both in these trying times. Miss seeing you both.

T SAUCE!

High risk/ high reward. At least this isn't a boring signing a la Amin (can't I get an Amen?)

I can ignore his lead socks if he'll "follow Jesus" aka keep his nose clean and not embarrass the program. As far as projects go, I'd have preferred N'Diaye.

Quick question: how does a guy that demonstrated excessive need for adrenaline and adulation quietly take care of business in the classroom, stay out of trouble on the streets, and give 110% in practice until he gets to play his first game 18 months from now?

We're gonna need a miracle prayer warriors...

T

...:cool:

Comment

• ShockerPhi
              ShockerPhi commented
              Editing a comment
              You're probably right, but I'm certainly willing to roll the dice with his potential upside. That, along with the huge class he'll be a part of, not a huge deal if it turns out to be a whiff.

The official 2023-24 Men's Basketball cumulative statistics for the West Virginia University Mountaineers

check out three ball stat. Surely it is an error.
            "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Windiwu
              Windiwu commented
              Editing a comment
              only attempted 25 for the year. Not a 3 pt shooter as of yet but I'd think that can come with time/

• BOBB
              BOBB commented
              Editing a comment
              Gets to the line. I like that. Turns it over once a game, I don't like that. Shoots the three with Rashard Kelly/Zach Brown efficiency. If he does compare well to Jamar Howard by his Junior year, then I will be pleased. We could have used a Jamar Howard last year.

• C0|dB|00ded
              C0|dB|00ded commented
              Editing a comment
              Jamar Howard was a freak athlete defensive machine...

T

...:cool:

Originally posted by [URL="https://shockernet.net/member/4043-windiwu"
            Windiwu[/URL] commented only attempted 25 for the year. Not a 3 pt shooter as of yet but I'd think that can come with time/

Let's hope that IF he becomes a 3-pt shooter that he also becomes a 3-point maker.
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
              https://wvusports.com/cumestats.aspx?path=mbball

check out three ball stat. Surely it is an error.
              https://wvusports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=630 Shot 47 percent from the field, 41 percent from 3-point range and 80 percent from the foul line in high school.

Might just chalk it up to small sample size. Don't think he'll ever be a great 3-point shooter, but could be serviceable.

Comment

Not quite sure why the hang up on 3pt shooting. We relied WAY too much on it over the past 4 years. Ability to score inside was what got us to the FF and when we was able to score inside this year, we played our best games.

Carl Hall and Shaq became beasts inside and practically scored at will. This guy has the potential to do the same..

Comment

Bringing this guy in is like having a really hot date for the prom, except she's got a temper and can go completely out of control. One way or another, you're going to be the talk of the prom.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                  X