No announcement yet.

Ehab Amin 6'4 G Grad-Transfer to Oregon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steals and stl% are great. But they also do not necessarily equate to good defense. It can be a factor indicative of good instincts and good defense. As an example, consider Bradley a few years ago. They had a couple guys that had a lot of steals (and thus post-season defensive awards), but their team defense was pretty terrible because guys were always gambling.

My point is not that a good stl% is not a good thing, but using it as a singular trait to define a players worth is VERY risky.

Comment

If that's what the numbers say, mark me down on as iffy on Amin.

WSU just went through a season where teams sagged off Shocker players on offense; clogging up the middle, and focusing on other offensive threats. That sounds like that's exactly what teams will do to Amin.

Granted, he may be the King of Steals and the best defender to potentially play for WSU since Tekele Cotton, but (IMO) it doesn't flow with the recruiting mantra that WSU has had in this Spring signing period.
      The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

WSU just went through a season where teams sagged off Shocker players on offense; clogging up the middle, and focusing on other offensive threats. That sounds like that's exactly what teams will do to Amin.
        People keep bringing this up. And while there is truth to it, the team was still 4th in the country in AdjO, putting it in the "yeah, but so what" category. Players with offensive limitations had very little to do with WSU's shortcomings last season.

Comment

• Shock Top
          Shock Top commented
          Editing a comment
          True, but the Shox shot well from three most of the season and just lost all of their top 3-point shooters.

Where they struggle last year was players dribble penetrating and creating their own shot, which it appears most of these young bucks are capable of doing.

Would like to keep up that trend with Arop or Bryant. With their athletic ability and length, you can teach them defensive positioning and let the rest of their potential take off from there.

Can't go ALL defense and no offense. I kind of liked the Stull kid but not over Arop or Bryant.

Comment

All defense worked for Virginia...oh wait.

Comment

The guy averaged less than 3 assists a game and had a 1:1 A/TO ratio. He shot less than 30% from 3. The guy did almost all his damage at the rim. He can get to the rim and rack up steals against Incarnate Word and Mcneese State in the Southland Conference, but would he be able to do it against Cincinnati, Memphis, and Uconn?.... I’m not sold. No where near a guarantee he comes in and can contribute. The big plus I see of getting this guy is it then splits up the the recruiting class a little more and frees up a scholarship after next season.

Comment

I think it is really interesting to see some of the posts knocking this guy's numbers against lower quality conference opponents. The other two guys being discussed as options for the last scholly are high school players and have yet to prove anything at the next level. Amin has proven it against college players and that is another step up, even if the conference wasn't the AAC. He is a more proven commodity at this point. If Marshall wants that he may be the choice. The other two may have a higher perceived ceiling, but when and how long it takes them to reach it is certainly a debate that can be had once we see them against something other then high school players.

Comment

• Topshock
                Topshock commented
                Editing a comment
                They have four years to play, he has one. No comparison.

• Shockm
                Shockm commented
                Editing a comment
                Who knows what the coaching staff is thinking? The one thing that hasn’t been considered yet is that this guy may have short term advantages (1 year) in exchange for 2019 recruits that may have higher ceilings than the ones we are currently recruiting.

• Jhook89
                Jhook89 commented
                Editing a comment
                The other guys we are currently recruiting can have up to 5 years to develop and Amin will get 1. That’s the big difference. I agree this guy has more experience and is more proven, since low major D1 is higher basketball than high school. My point is this guy has not proven he can be an impact player against high major schools day in and day out. It’s not like he is a Minnesota grad transfer who has proven he can play against top tier talent. My point is yes he is more proven than a guy from high school, but he is far from a guy you can count on being impactful because of his experience. If it was up to me, which obviously it isn’t, give me the guy who can play here for 4-5 years and have the potential to be an impact player for multiple years.

I don't think you are getting what I am comparing, it is not years to play. A transfer student may add proven talent in the immediate for a team loaded with inexperienced players. I guess it depends on how one wants next season to go? Rebuilding or respectability?

Comment

• choida
                choida commented
                Editing a comment
                Reloading for respectability...

I’d rather give the minutes to Stevenson, Dennis, Moore, and Burton to let them develop next season.

Comment

Every year we should be respectable and competing for conference title

Comment

Amin played for a team with an rpi of 326. His stats were put up against schools of the type where Haynes-Jones put up 30-point games.

There are two reasons to give this guy a scholarship:

1) You may as well give the last scholarship to someone.
                  2) You don't have to cut him to get him out of the program after a year.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                    Amin played for a team with an rpi of 326. His stats were put up against schools of the type where Haynes-Jones put up 30-point games.

There are two reasons to give this guy a scholarship:

1) You may as well give the last scholarship to someone.
                    2) You don't have to cut him to get him out of the program after a year.
                    I once knew of a shat conference where a member team dominated that shat conference and went to the F-4. Film at 11.

Comment

Never sleep on the popular theory...unless she's cuter than 10.

Comment

Don't ask...just spent an evening with long lost friends. Scotch rocks by the way!!!

Comment

Pass the butter please. :-)

Comment

Working...
                          X