Caleb Grill 2019 Maize G to UNLV to Iowa St to Mizzou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really hate that Rob Barker!!!
    Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
    Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

Jeff *******Verified account@GoodmanHoops 24h24 hours ago More
      • Copy link to Tweet
      • Embed Tweet

South Dakota State will promote assistant Eric Henderson to replace T.J. Otzelberger, source told @stadium.

Comment

Comment

• DJShocker10
          DJShocker10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Maize High grad here. The school magazine posted an article about this and I hoped to be the first to mention. You beat me to it. Touché my friend.

Comment

• ShockTalk
          ShockTalk commented
          Editing a comment
          That's quite a varied group he got offers from: South Dakota State, Colorado State, Nebraska, Texas Tech, SMU, Bradley, Washington State, Missouri State, Weber State, Texas-Rio Grande Valley, Texas State, Abilene Christian, Air Force, Drake, Southern Illinois and Texas-San Antonio

• pinstripers
          pinstripers commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought so too

It’ll be interesting to see if we try to get involved in his recruitment. Caleb appears to be a smart, versatile, strong, tough kid who averaged 18.5 points and 5 rebounds. TO:A average is 2.5. His high school CAREER 3pt % is 38% and free throws was upper 70%. He can play both point and 2 guard.

I dont know if anyone on our coach staff has a relationship with his dad Chris or if Chris considers his Shocker career as a positive experience or not.

Comment

That one surprised me. Maybe following his coach to UNLV?
          Last edited by shoxlax; March 29, 2019, 11:19 PM.

Comment

• choida
            choida commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd say UNLV will be his spot once the ink dries on his release from SDSU...I don't think Wichita State will be in the works... This kid wants to go to program that will build around him... And I see nothing wrong with that

I remember his dad as an extremely tough under sized power forward at 6'4. If he has his dad's
          toughness / work ethic, which I suspect he does, he is going to help whatever program he picks.
          I'd like to see it be us as I like local kids and tough minded kids but realize we are probably late on
          him.

Comment

Verbal Commits@VerbalCommits 46m46 minutes ago

2019 Maize (KS) G Caleb Grill has received an offer from Iowa State.

Comment

Creighton offers

Comment

Have any of you seen Maize play live? How does he look? By his new offers, probably the best player in the state for the senior class.
              Professional gas passer.

Comment

• Topshock
                Topshock commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL

• blackandgold
                blackandgold commented
                Editing a comment
                What did I say that was funny? Sunrise players don't count because those are post grad.

Maize High alumni here from back in the day. From what I’ve seen he’s one of the best basketball players maize has had in a long time. He can shoot, seems to have smart BBIQ, and if he’s anything like his dad he should play tough solid defense. I hope the shockers are recruiting him. I’d be sad if we can’t land a hometown kid. With his recent offers from ISU and CU he has to be pretty good to play for them. I’d like to see him in a Shockers Jersey!
              Shocker Alumni
              Shocker Club Soccer alumni
              Jayhawk fan but the Shockers come first

Comment

K-State is on him, also. "the 6-foot-3 senior guard from Maize is now hearing from a number of prominent college basketball teams, including Kansas State, Iowa State, Creighton, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Northwestern."

He doesn't appear to be on our radar (or visa versa).

Comment

• choida
                  choida commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The kinda kid that has beat Gregg in the past.. Is the same kinda kid not getting looks from Wichita State. Kid from Marshall last year...kid on Furham... Kid on Lipscomb...Mike Dahm... And on and on...

If that highlight video was from 6'3" PG/SG who had a different name and was from a different state, SN would be drooling and begging WSU to get involved. His highlights are very similar to ES who reminded SN "more of Landry than Ron".

Comment

• ShockTalk
                  ShockTalk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There is always the possibility that he's not interested.

• Shockadaisical
                  Shockadaisical commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good point ShockTalk. Some kids want the experience of going away to college and no one is going to talk them out of it if their mind is made up

CJ Moore must have swung by Maize to talk to the Grills after coming down to interview HCGM:

https://theathletic.com/943612/2019/04/25/how-caleb-grill-went-from-a-barely-known-prospect-to-multiple-high-major-teams-pursuing-him/

K-State coaches have also told Chris they never really pursued him hard the first time around because they had heard that since he played at Wichita State, that’s where Caleb would go. “I don’t know who they heard it from, because it’s pretty far from the truth,” Chris says. Grill never got real interest from Wichita State.
                It's kind of disappointing after the Ron Baker experience. But I wonder if the coaches thought they already had that in Erik Stevenson.

Comment

As much time and money as we spend flying around the country recruiting you would think we would have a firm handle on every legitimate prospect within 50 miles of Wichita.

Comment

• pie n eye
                    pie n eye commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So, maybe there’s a reason we didn’t go after him?

• mattdalt
                    mattdalt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's a zero sum game. As we think about recruting this kid, who would you not want on the roster?

• Shockadaisical
                    Shockadaisical commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Exactly mattdalt. Considering the number of open slots we had, I'm feeling pretty good at this point about the guys we signed.
                Working...
                X