No announcement yet.

Caleb Grill 2019 Maize G to UNLV to Iowa St to Mizzou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that Chris Jans spent more time in the Midwest than anyone else. He was a Midwest guy and he, and all of our assistants then had some Midwest contacts in KC, Kansas, Colorado, etc. I think the difference this year may also be that we trying to raise our recruiting profile instead of recruiting sleepers, and we don’t have many high recruited prospects in Kansas that KU doesn’t lead for. Case in point Newton this year. We spent a lot of time recruiting the St. John’s kid but he always wanted to go to KSU.

Comment

All I can say is I have total faith in HCGM and staff. IF it's actually true that they didn't show interest, I'm guessing there was a reason. Don't sweat it. Especially when you look at the roster we have.

Comment

• choida
        choida commented
        Editing a comment
        It's all about fit and goals... Simple as that

• pinstripers
        pinstripers commented
        Editing a comment
        if only it was that simple

His early offers were Missouri State, Colorado State, and South Dakota State. That's not exactly the competition Marshall typically runs into for recruits. He committed to South Dakota State.

When he was released from his LOI a bunch of higher-level programs were interested. Those are likely to be schools who still have a scholarship to fill and missed on a higher-level recruit they wanted. At the time Grill got his release, Marshall had probably targeted Sherfield and had a pretty good feeling about getting him.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        You know that's just too logical Aargh.

• WSUwatcher
        WSUwatcher commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, that's actually tougher early competition than WSU had for Baker, but as others have noted there may have been reasons why WSU didn't pursue Grill or he wasn't interested (getting away from home, for example). He's probably a fine player and I wouldn't be surprised if he follows his former coach.

Meanwhile, I'm pretty happy with WSU's incoming group.

• Aargh
        Aargh commented
        Editing a comment
        There wasn't much competition for Baker because no one knew he existed.

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      His early offers were Missouri State, Colorado State, and South Dakota State. That's not exactly the competition Marshall typically runs into for recruits. He committed to South Dakota State.

When he was released from his LOI a bunch of higher-level programs were interested. Those are likely to be schools who still have a scholarship to fill and missed on a higher-level recruit they wanted. At the time Grill got his release, Marshall had probably targeted Sherfield and had a pretty good feeling about getting him.
      Isn't it important to establish a pipeline of local kids, perhaps even if, say, we could find somebody marginally better, but not local? Just to show that young men they can and should realistically think of staying in Wichita.

Comment

We have a number of walk on's and preferred walk on's that are local. GGG knows what he is looking for in recruits and just because a kid is local that doesn't mean he fits the skill set the team needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Root Angry View Post

Isn't it important to establish a pipeline of local kids, perhaps even if, say, we could find somebody marginally better, but not local? Just to show that young men they can and should realistically think of staying in Wichita.
          You act like we haven't recruited Wichita before, ignoring the fact that we've had scholarship players from Wichita getting real court time every year since 2011-12 and have another in Sherfield. But, to answer your question directly: Hell no. We shouldn't take a lesser player just because he's local. If you don't think WSU will play local guys you haven't been paying attention.
          “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

I am curious as to why we were not interested in him.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              Interest is a two-way street with a lot of twists and turns.

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            I am curious as to why we were not interested in him.
            Sounds like a good question to call in and ask on the next coaches show.

Comment

• pinstripers
              pinstripers commented
              Editing a comment
              NFW

• WSUwatcher
              WSUwatcher commented
              Editing a comment
              Great idea, but probably better called out from tableside at the show's venue -- you might not get it past the call screener on the radio.

I understand trying for sleepers... But why are we concerned that we didn't show interest in a guard that's a 2/3 star on 247 and rated >400? We have TWO 4* guards rated in the top 150 and one 3* top 200 in this class.

Sleepers are great. But proven kids have a better chance of success. Just because there is an area kid being underrated doesn't mean he's going to be Ron Baker

Comment

• WSUwatcher
              WSUwatcher commented
              Editing a comment
              Fair point, Stick -- A coaching staff could probably recruit a lot of bench time and be pretty unproductive if it spent its days trying to find "the next Ron Baker," because there simply may not be a next Ron Baker anytime soon.

All good points but once again it comes back to the young men we signed. Both guards played against better competition on a game to game basis and I’m sure played well enough to garner their ratings. Glad we had options

Comment

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              And young Mr, Grill had options as well. So all is good.

Can you imagine the outcry if Marshall recruited a local player and that player either never saw much PT or transferred out after a year or two?

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• pie n eye
              pie n eye commented
              Editing a comment
              No, what would it be like?

• WSUwatcher
              WSUwatcher commented
              Editing a comment
              A variation on that theme actually occurred a while back when Joe Mitchell came back home from Ohio to walk on at WSU, apparently hoping for / expecting a scholarship but not getting one, after which he left for Friends and became a hugely successful NAIA player.

I remember some grumbling (not least from Mitchell and his family), but I don't think I'd call it a real "outcry."

Originally posted by Wuzee View Post

You act like we haven't recruited Wichita before, ignoring the fact that we've had scholarship players from Wichita getting real court time every year since 2011-12 and have another in Sherfield. But, to answer your question directly: Hell no. We shouldn't take a lesser player just because he's local. If you don't think WSU will play local guys you haven't been paying attention.
            Actually not what I'm acting like at all, just posing that question: would it be better to take the local kid, even if he were marginally less skilled. Obviously a 4* vs a 3* is a no brainier.

Comment

• Dark Lord
              Dark Lord commented
              Editing a comment
              The answer is no.

• ShockdaWorld
              ShockdaWorld commented
              Editing a comment
              That would be a highly Valley mentality.

To Iowa State

I wonder if we’ll ever hear the reason for the lack of interest, be it one-way or both ways.

Comment

• Aargh
              Aargh commented
              Editing a comment
              How about when he decommitted, Marshall had a 4* guy ready to commit who played the same position?

Maybe Grill's national rank of 483 by 247Sports is a clue? Although Rivals does have him at 145 nationally and 3* (that's after he committed to IaSt).

• ShockTalk
              ShockTalk commented
              Editing a comment
              I was surprised that he didn't go to UNLV given the "connection" with the coach. Has to be a tough pill for Weber/K St to see him snub an instate Big 12-2 team for another so-so out of state Big 12-2 team.

• WSUwatcher
              WSUwatcher commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like a bunch of offseason idle curiosity.

I share ST's surprise that he didn't follow his old coach to UNLV, and also his observation that Grill is the kind of player that would seem to be a natural fit for the Kitties if he was going to end up in the Glorious 12-2.

But really, what does it matter anyway? The Shocks did very well at his position in this year's recruiting and appear to be well stocked for quite a while. Good luck to Grill in Ames, and maybe his path will cross ours again some day. WSU certainly figures to be back in the tournament for years to come, so it's now up to Iowa State to do its part.

From what I understand the guy who would have been his coach at sdsu/unlv was an assistant at Iowa st. Don’t know the exact timeline but maybe he recruited him there or there was a connection to prohm at Iowa State.

As far as his interest or vice versa at wsu, it’s irrelevant. Iowa State is a great fit for him I think and the Shox are a better fit for wade and or sherfield. I don’t think theee is any “juicy” tidbit. I think it’s that simple.

Comment

Yeah, sounds like the timeline went something like this:

Grill was good soph/jr year but didn't get interest from a ton of high major schools, including WSU.

Grill signs with SDSU.

Grill's recruiting status blows up, still committed to SDSU.

Otzelberger heads to UNLV, Grill released from LOI.

WSU already had his position filled with kids they were recruiting.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• pinstripers
                pinstripers commented
                Editing a comment
                Could be, but it's likely more than that.

• WstateU
                WstateU commented
                Editing a comment
                https://media.giphy.com/media/1jajMA...oFfw/giphy.gif

• WSUwatcher
                WSUwatcher commented
                Editing a comment
                Very reasonable and even plausible, Kel, but Occam's Razor seldom seems to be applied on Shockernet, especially if a convoluted theory involving mystery, suspicion, or conspiracy can be brought forth or otherwise imagined instead -- and even more especially during the offseason.
            Working...
            X