• Roberto Mafra - Signed with San Diego

6'10" 235 C. West Burlington (IA) Southeaster C.C. Class of '08

No offers.

Looks from Indiana State, Wichita State, Idaho State and Murray State
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Roberto is from Brazil. He leads his team in ppg (16.4)and rpg (7.75). I think the team record is something around 4 and 4.
    In the fast lane

Comment

Im going to be in Burlington for X-mas. I'll get in and check him out. Tried to check website, it's not up right now.

Comment

He is averaging 3.5 blocks per game and shooting over 72% from the FT line. Also averages 3 t/o per game and is 2nd on the team in steals

Comment

JucoJuction article on Mafra...

A bit old...

Roberto Mafra: (SO) 6-foot-10 (235) from Brazil.
          "Roberto has really been solid for us this season. He has made great progress from last season and he must continue to work hard," said Grzanich.
          Murray State, Wichita State, Idaho State and Indiana State have all shown interest on the 4/5 man this fall. Mafra is off to a great start this season. He is currently averaging 16.3 ppg and 7.7 rebounds while shooting 63.4% (52-82) from the floor.

Most recent stats have him at 15.5 ppg, 6.5 reb, 56% FG, 79% FT.

Comment

Isn't that conference in Iowa just as good, if not better, than the Jayhawk Conference? I think it is obvious that coach is going after a big manm and will sign at least one.

Comment

I read an article that said he is inexperienced, had not experienced double teaming before, and mentioned if someone would redshirt him for a year, he could turn out pretty good. But what D-1 school would redshirt a Juco player for a year, and only get 1 good year out of him????

Sounds like a situation of 'too little too late' for a D-1 school to take a chance on him to me.

Comment

You'd get 2 years of play for 3 years of scholarship.

Comment

Redshirt

Snap, when the Shocks recruited Jared Young a while back, I remember some juco analyst saying that if he could go someplace where he could get a year to redshirt and work on his ball handling he could really be something special.

Of course, as it turns out, all that would actually have done would have been to get Young kicked off the squad before he contributed anything at all -- but it confirms the point that if a guy hasn't yet used his redshirt year, it's just as available to a juco player as to anyone else.

Comment

Yes, I was quite aware of the Young debacle as I used to live next door to Gabe Barnes's stepbrother.

Comment

Apparently Mafra is headed to a WCC school.

Is that the league that Idaho State is in?

Comment

It looks like Mafra verballed to San Diego.

Comment

Working...
                        X