Wendell Mitchell 6'3 G 2018 JUCO to Texas A&M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wendell Mitchell 6'3 G 2018 JUCO to Texas A&M

According to Verbal Commits, Wichita State has offered 6'3 guard Wendell Mitchell from Trinity Valley CC (teammate of Jaime Echenique). JuCo Recruiting has him ranked at #3 in the 2018 class. Offers include Cincinnati, Memphis, NC State, Oregon, Texas A&M, Dayton, Fresno St, New Mexico St, SMU, Georgetown, Maryland and several others. Wendell is averaging 20.5 points and 6.6 assists per game.

NJCAA: http://njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2017-18...llmitchellhwmn

VC: http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/wendell-mitchell
    JR: http://www.jucorecruiting.com/2018top100rankings

Wondered if this would come.

Comment

Has to make one wonder about Jones and CJ with this offer

Comment

• Aargh
        Aargh commented
        Editing a comment
        Really? It took this to make you wonder?

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
      Has to make one wonder about Jones and CJ with this offer
      I think it’s just as likely or more likely that Gregg/coaches have the skinny from scouts they’ve talked to on Landry’s perceived NBA value. Remember, Donnie Jones was an NBA scout last year. On the coach show, Gregg said that all CJ needs to flourish is court time and I’ve seen how good Carl Hall was as a Juco transfer in his 2nd year. SHJ needs to adjust. That doesn’t mean that those players aren’t frustrated but Landry is just as likely to move on if he has 1st Rd. NBA value.
      Last edited by Shockm; February 12, 2018, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• Shockm
        Shockm commented
        Editing a comment
        One last unknown. Are all of our recruits eligible?

I don’t think we’d cut a JUCO guy in his 2nd year. Signing a JUCO guy is a risk and you gotta let it play out for 2nd year production.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        I don’t think we’d cut a JUCO guy in his 2nd year. Signing a JUCO guy is a risk and you gotta let it play out for 2nd year production.
        We respectfully disagree.

Sincerely,

James Anacreon and Daishon Smith
        “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• AndShock
          AndShock commented
          Editing a comment
          Tevin Glass. At this point I think Daishon might have chosen to leave voluntarily. If he was asked to leave to make room for SHJ the staff made a mistake.

Sometimes you have to give a year to get a year with Jucos. That's not ideal but it would be nice to see some progress in year one. So far I have seen none with SHJ. I am not sure what SHJ lacks can be coached.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          Perhaps, but that doesn't mean that a kid might not go where he can start and get minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

Perhaps, but that doesn't mean that a kid might not go where he can start and get minutes.
            This is more likely imo. Gregg hasn't hung either CJ or SHJ to the end of the bench. He's still giving them opportunities to play early in games even though he's shortened the bench in tight games. This is SHJ's dream school and hometown so I would expect they are back and that Landry is more likely to go.

Comment

• Topshock
              Topshock commented
              Editing a comment
              Right now LS is projected on most boards as a 2nd round pick. If he stays there, it would be a very poor decision to declare for the draft.

Just saw a mock draft last night with Landry going at pick #30 in the first round.

Comment

• moshock
              moshock commented
              Editing a comment
              I saw the same thing....Those mock drafts are not set in stone but if that's the projection - he could easily slip to the second round. IMHO, He should stay if that's the case

• wufan
              wufan commented
              Editing a comment
              I have third hand information that Landry intends to get a degree.

Originally posted by vancedave56 View Post
            Just saw a mock draft last night with Landry going at pick #30 in the first round.
            If Landry continues to play well, especially in big games like Cincinnati, his stock will go up. These are conditional offers. If they think there is a high chance he will leave, they will sign another. If he decides not to go, there may be collateral damage. But I still say it depends on Landry and a couple of recruits academic standing to be eligible.

Comment

I saw a mock with him going to the Lakers at..........27 I think. And I believe we will try to sign at least one, maybe two.

Comment

JuCo Recruiting released a revised Top 10 this weekend. http://www.jucorecruiting.com/2018top100rankings

Wendell takes over the #1 spot from Yuat Alok.

Comment

• Wuzee
                  Wuzee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's something of a crap shoot, but I wouldn't put too much stock in the rankings. On last year's list at #82 you would find Breaon Brady, who is starting most games for Houston this year and broke off a 21/9 against Temple before he got injured.

It could also be true that the JUCO guys that succeed here are, first and foremost, the type of guys that fit our system and needs, most of whom incidentally happen to also be Top 10 type guys. We're not looking for a scorer here. We're looking for a mature rim protector, screen-setter and ball-getter. FWIW, JE's block stats (even omitting the crazy 13 block game he had against Jacksonville) are better than top-ranked center Yuat Alok, despite the fact that JE comes off the bench and, presumably, plays fewer minutes.

• WSUwatcher
                  WSUwatcher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wuzee is the winner here, Dan and Top. Whether someone is "respected" by rankers may or may not mean much, as shown by Wuzee's point about Breaon Brady, a 6-8 hulk from Darius Carter's old home town of Akron whose numbers -- basically, 5 and 5 in 13 minutes a game -- aren't overwhelming, partly due to injury problems (e.g., sound a bit like Markis McDuffie?), but who has shown the ability to be a real load.

Similarly, a guy who did get a lot of respect from the rankers last year was All-American Samajae Haynes-Jones (top 10, as I recall). And he's been dazzling offensively against lesser teams -- but his most frequent offensive move against most of the Shocks' high-end American opponents who more closely resemble the teams they'll be facing come NCAA time has been to drive and get his shot blocked, and as a result of that and other struggles he's actually averaging fewer minutes than Breaon Brady is.

We'll see what happens with Echenique, but like Wuzee, I'm not much concerned about his ranking; and I'd add that a coach who in the past has come out of nowhere to sign a guy like Carter in the spring period isn't likely to panic and take people willy-nilly in the fall just because they're available.

• Topshock
                  Topshock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I completely agree about the rankings. My comment is based on watching him play an entire game this year.

NM

Comment

When JE came and visited he was thoroughly evaluated by those who know what to look for—and not just basketball skills either. They are very excited about potential being realized way sooner than expected.

Comment

Working...
                  X