Fred VanVleet is a Shocker!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
    Watch out, Kung. In the NBA, guys get fined big bucks for untying opponents' shoelaces. Don't go giving him any bad ideas.
    LOL, true! But that's only if you physically touch the shoelaces. If you are able to use jedi mind-trick skills while dribbling and make him undo his own laces, then you are a true master. Come to think of it, I bet that trick works with bra straps too. Dang I should have played basketball!!!
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrclove4 View Post
      This was my very 1st post on FVV on this board. Notice the date. I have to pat myself on the back for this one!…LOL
      Absolutely Mrclove4. Your posts kept us all excited and many of us, thanks to not only your opinions but also the various articles you posted and the videos we saw were convinced that we were getting a very special player and person. Thank you for all the great information. In my humble opinion, Fred is already at the top of my list for Shocker Point Guards. Lanny Van Eman was good. Leonard Kelly was good. Ernie Moore was outstanding. Warren "Armstrong" Jabali may have been the best ever if he had only been able to concentrate on the PG rather than mostly playing as a 6'2" PF. Greg Carney was an outstanding scorer, but not my idea of a true PG. Cal Bruton was outstanding! Tony Martin was outstanding. Matt Braeuer, Clevin Hannah, Joe Ragland and Malcolm Armstead have all been outstanding. But FVV is my pick of them all.

Comment

This was my very 1st post on FVV on this board. Notice the date. I have to pat myself on the back for this one!…LOL
        Well done sir!
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          Ut oh. In @Tyrone Shoelace:'s absence @forevershockerfan: put down the gauntlet. Legend has it that FVV can untie a defender's shoelaces due to his wicked crossover. You got that Tyrone?
          In response to this post I would like to quote Robin Williams from the movie "Survivors".
          "That's blasphemy! You'll smoke a turd in hell for that!!"
          I invented the cross-over dribble in the early 70's

Comment

• Thanks FVV & WSU from Rockford

My 1st post on this board in 2011.. Your welcome!;)

Originally posted by Mrclove4 View Post
            Hello.. I'm new to this board. But, I have to give you my take on fred van vleet. I'm from Rockford,IL played H.S Ball at Auburn 20+ years ago. I have seen and played the best guards in this part of IL for the last 30 years, van vleet is the best guard i have ever seen in these parts!! He is a true point guard. Very high b-ball I.Q, great ball handler and passer very unselfish player. He is wise beyond his years and always seems to be 2 steps a head of everybody. WSU fan should be very happy this is a steal for you! Van Vleet could play high D1. He is only about 6'0 but, he is a playmaker and will make everybody so much better. Just give him a year to get his feet wet, then watch out!!...:)

Comment

My 1st post on this board in 2011.. Your welcome!;)
              Can you give me some investment tips?

Comment

• Buy low sell high.. And always go long on FVV!

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                Can you give me some investment tips?

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  Geez this kid's a winner with a big fat capital W.

Any players out there interested in winning about 100+ games over the next 4 seasons, please feel free to contact any of the WSU coaches on the 3G network. Space is limited and filling fast.
                  117 and counting. I was WAY off. Forgive me Fred.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                    VanVleet could be a solid 4 year player. Come on Dana, show him some tapes of the crowd and atmosphere at WSU. NIU doesn't even draw 2,000 fans. I think at least one game only had about 500.
                    Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                    Decision may come by the beginning of the July evaluation period. It's looking like NIU, WSU and Kent State will be the final three.

Get exclusive coverage of Illinois high school basketball with game summaries, player interviews, recruiting news, and expert analysis. Stay updated today!

I'll be very happy getting the #2 ranked player from Illinois.
                    Originally posted by JCole200 View Post
                    According to Cavan Walsh (@cavwalsh) of chicagohoops.com, Fred Van Vleet has committed to WSU.

Tweets:

cavwalsh Cavan Walsh
                    Fred Van Vleet is off the board to Wichita State a big get for the Shockers on the 4th of July
                    Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                    Oh man, I am really excited. Extra, really excited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-LbvFckptY
                    Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                    This is sweet! A truely happy 4th :posterwu:
                    Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
                    Awesome! Tremendous get!
                    Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                    Good news indeed!
                    Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                    If true, this will more than make up for the eariler news regarding Walker. I've liked everything I've read about Van Vleet and he was my top choice.

:wsu_posters: :yahoo: :wsu_posters: :clap: :thewave:
                    Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                    18.5 pts. 7.5 assists (wow!), 5 boards, and 5 steals as a Jr. For a 5'11" PG who's main criticism seems to be that he's "not that quick", but is a "true point guard".

That's a lot of points for a "true point guard", but 7.5 assists says he is that. 5 boards for a 5'11" guy is good even if he was playing 3A in KS. 5 steals for a guy who's "not that quick" is insane.

The best possibility that explains all that is that Van Vleet has incredible basketball IQ. He's racking up those stats in Chicago. He's playing a lot of future D1 players every time he's on the court.

Van Vleet has the credentials to become Marshall's best recruit so far. Everything I've seen indicates a Hannah-like player with Hatch's basketball IQ. Maybe not the shooter that Hannah was because I haven't seen 3-pt. stats. I'm assuming Van Vleet's points are coming closer to the hoop, which may not work in D1.
                    Originally posted by 150946shox View Post
                    This is probably the most excited I've been about a player since Randy got Maurice Evans. I am really pumped. :clap: :good: :yahoo:

Rockford is actually about 90 miles from Chicago. I don't know a lot about Illinois basketball, but would he really be racking up the stats in Chicago? From a look at the league, there are no Chicago teams. I'm sure he has played some against Chicago kids, but probably not routinely.
                    Originally posted by ShockRef View Post
                    This is a big time 'get'.
                    To have a 1st rate PG for the next 4 years is a major shot in the arm to the program and relief for the coaching staff.

I heard about the Walker deal on Saturday and was a bit disappointed, but this addition MORE than makes up for it.

If you compare having a top rated PG for 4 years vs a 1 year decent post player, the sting of missing out on Walker fades away rather quickly. 8)
                    Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                    Nothing in that video not to like.

He can penetrate all the way to the hole, stop and pop inside the arc, hit the 3's and the FTs....

Another good PG get - and this time a 4 year recruit to boot!

:clap: :clap:
                    Originally posted by Ed Harley View Post
                    From the video, he just plain looks like a point guard.

A real life, start 4 straight years and win 100+ games for his career type PG.

One never gets to see D on these videos and that's a pretty big question mark; however, he did have some nice positioning/anticipation steals on the video and he displayed a great feel for the flow of the game.
                    Originally posted by ShockCounselor View Post
                    I'm typically conservative in my assessement of freshman but I'm impressed with this kid. Clearly a very mature BB IQ. While he doesn't appear exceptionally quick, I think some of that is a reflection of his control. He never rushes or is out of control. He is always purposeful with the dribble. Besides ... give Kerry a year to develop his twitch muscles and I would wager by the time he is into his sophmore year the thought of him not being quick will dissappear. Van Vleet looks like a really excellent pick up for the program.
                    Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
                    There are guys (Adrian Griffin leaps immediately to mind) who look like they're gliding instead of running. The usual outward signs of physical effort -- elbows and knees churning, tension in the shoulders and neck -- aren't readily visible, but they still go by people and you're sitting there wondering how they did it.

Judging from this one video, FVV looks like that type of player. Blur your vision and you'll notice him easily getting separation from guys when necessary. But he also knows when to slow down and let passing lanes develop both on the break and in the half court, which is a good measure of his saavy.
                    Originally posted by Snapshot9 View Post
                    He seems to have a real good BB IQ and court vision, knows when to drive or to dish off. Has a real good FT stroke. This is a real good get for us, and we got him for 4 years.
                    Originally posted by GarH View Post
                    I'm really excited about this recruit. The PG position is the most important in college basketball and it sounds like the Shockers got a really good one. By all reports a high BB IQ and you gotta love 7.5 assists. Five steals is just icing on the cake. If HCGM can surround him with good talent- watch out Valley.
                    Great going back and reading the early posts of FVV recruitment and commit from the first 2 pages. The news of FVV being recruited by WSU in late May to a commitment on July 4th went quickly. FVV had my attention at the get-go.

OK, maybe I'm patting myself on the back a little, sue me. I really wanted FVV badly and got my wish. However, never did I dream his career would turn out this great. Not just from stats, his BBIQ, and what he meant to WSU basketball on a national level, but as a person. So solid, grounded, a leader off the court as well as on, and, most of all, a representative of WSU and our community second to none.

Thank you, Fred VanVleet.

Comment

• Reading the quotes from the past I have come to the realization that we have some really smart people on this board with great analytical skills. Good job SN'ers

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                        Reading the quotes from the past I have come to the realization that we have some really smart people on this board with great analytical skills. Good job SN'ers
                        Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                          Reading the quotes from the past I have come to the realization that we have some really smart people on this board with great analytical skills. Good job SN'ers
                          Yes MVC, I think this was directed at me as well. Thanks Pogo!

Comment

• All of you that predicted he would be a great PG for 4 straight years at WSU really lucked out last Spring.

Comment

• ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• In a recent game, one of the commentators mentioned that Fred had just moved into the #5 spot for career assists in the MVC. Anyone know where that stat is coming from? I see on sports-reference.com that he is in the #3 spot, but that only goes back to the '94-'95 season. Since he is in the process of absolutely destroying the record at WSU, I'm curious how high he'll end up in the MVC and all DI.
                                "The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning."
                                -- Pele

Comment

Working...
                                X