No announcement yet.

Fred VanVleet is a Shocker!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didnt see this posted anywhere yet that scout released their class rankings today and Fred rounded out the top 100 and is rated with 4 stars.:bball_spin:

Stay up to date with all the college basketball recruiting news and more at 247Sports.com

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
      Why is FVV so overlooked (compared to what he should be)?
      1. Maybe not overlooked.
      2. Lack of quickness by some lofty standard
      3. Lack of size by some lofty standard.
      4. Pedestrian 3 ball percentage
      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Can he be considered over looked when he's ranked by ESPN, Rivals and Scout?
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I think mrcLove has made the point tht FVV lives in the wrong town. He probably got overlooked because he's from Rockford. It appears that the recruiting connections go to Chicago, Chicago, Chicago, Chicago, oh, and Peoria.

Through Fred's Jr year he was racking up stats and wins over competition that was probably perceived to be "at a much lower level" than what the good recruits in Illinois play. Fred didn't really blow up until the summer between his Jr. and Sr. years, when he tore up the AAU circuit. By then, he was already committed to WSU.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• He's finally getting some respect now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
              I think mrcLove has made the point tht FVV lives in the wrong town. He probably got overlooked because he's from Rockford. It appears that the recruiting connections go to Chicago, Chicago, Chicago, Chicago, oh, and Peoria.

Through Fred's Jr year he was racking up stats and wins over competition that was probably perceived to be "at a much lower level" than what the good recruits in Illinois play. Fred didn't really blow up until the summer between his Jr. and Sr. years, when he tore up the AAU circuit. By then, he was already committed to WSU.
              GREAT POST!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrclove4 View Post
                Illinios H.S b-ball is funny like that. If your not from chicago or maybe peoria you have to prove that you are battle tested and can play with the "big boys".. But, FVV has answerd all questions and then some concerning his game. Fred was asked to play on a couple of the best AAU teams in chicago last summer and turned them down. Why?? you asked... Because, he wanted to play with his friends and the guys he grew up with #LOYALTY. This is an article out of SLAM from last year it gives you a good perspective on AAU ball and how FVV looks at it...http://www.slamonline.com/online/col...must-be-heard/
                Thanks for that aritcle. IMHO these Rockford kids will all be better men for having to actually work for something they want to do. I think FVV's assessment of their situation being an unintentional advantage for them is spot on.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 19, 2012, 07:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                  1. Maybe not overlooked.
                  2. Lack of quickness by some lofty standard
                  3. Lack of size by some lofty standard.
                  4. Pedestrian 3 ball percentage
                  I might add that two of the greatest NBA rebounders were not great leapers. Paul Silas was considered earthbound. Dennis Rodman was a seven time NBA rebounding champion.

As the saying goes, "Size is not everything."

An aside: Charles Barkley's vertical jump was 35". Hard to believe, isn't it?

Another aside: Larry Bird was not considered a great athlete.
                  "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• My son played vs FVW twice last summer (I saw 1 game). Both of us were impressed. He basically "outsmarts" people. Joy to watch. Hope his transition to D1 ball is smooth. Not the quickest guy, but smart.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                      I might add that two of the greatest NBA rebounders were not great leapers. Paul Silas was considered earthbound. Dennis Rodman was a seven time NBA rebounding champion.

As the saying goes, "Size is not everything."

An aside: Charles Barkley's vertical jump was 35". Hard to believe, isn't it?

Another aside: Larry Bird was not considered a great athlete.
                      I think Rodman was a decent athlete. Now Wes Unseld was strong as a prize bull but he was not exactly a skywalker either. But the man could rebound and perhaps was the best outlet passer ever.

Comment

• You see it some in baseball: guys who start out good and just keep being good as they move up from one level to the next, like a guy who hits .300 in college (which didn't used to be that good, but is okay now), moves to Class A and still hits .300, and then just keeps on doing it as he moves up through the ranks, finally reaches the majors, and turns into a solid everyday player. Rick Wrona was an example at WSU -- an okay hitter here, although never more than that, but not that much worse in the majors than here, which gave him a very respectable MLB career. It happens in basketball, too, with someone like Jimmer Fredette (a small Fred?), who's been doubted for questionable athleticism at every level of his basketball career but is now playing 18+ minutes a game while cashing NBA checks even as far more impressive specimens play overseas or in the D-League.

I don't claim to be a talent scout, but it strikes me that Van Vleet may be one of those guys, too -- a player who starts out being really good even though not physically that impressive, and whose vision, smarts, leadership, and competitiveness (along with underrated skills) enable him to keep being really good at every step as he moves up the ladder. To me, he's the most potentially exciting guard recruit -- maybe recruit at any position -- Marshall has had while at WSU.

Comment

• FVV ACADEMIC ALL-STAR NOMINEE

Fred was named one of the academic all-star nominees in the Rockford Public schools..http://www.rrstar.com/sports/x178327...nees-announced

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrclove4 View Post
                            Fred was named one of the academic all-star nominees in the Rockford Public schools..http://www.rrstar.com/sports/x178327...nees-announced
                            Wow this kid is the total package.

Comment

• Check him out....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJk8W...e_gdata_player

Comment

• Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
                                Quick as a cat.

Comment

Working...
                                X