No announcement yet.

Fred VanVleet is a Shocker!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It will be very interesting to see how they bring FVV along next year with Seniors Mal Armstead and D-Will available. My guess is that FVV will share the point guard duties with Mal and D-Will will play primarily at the 2. With FVV filling the starting point guard role for his final 3 years. Mal would seemingly have an early advantage of having practiced in 3G's system for a year. Possible that FVV will be good enough to grab the starting point guard job from the get go. The nice thing is we have the luxury of not having to force FVV into that role if he needs some grooming and learning.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      It will be very interesting to see how they bring FVV along next year with Seniors Mal Armstead and D-Will available. My guess is that FVV will share the point guard duties with Mal and D-Will will play primarily at the 2. With FVV filling the starting point guard role for his final 3 years. Mal would seemingly have an early advantage of having practiced in 3G's system for a year. Possible that FVV will be good enough to grab the starting point guard job from the get go. The nice thing is we have the luxury of not having to force FVV into that role if he needs some grooming and learning.
      Also having Cotton and Baker in that line-up makes our guards deep on talent. Depending on how Green, Early, and Hawkins develop (PFs or wings), we may go with a true three guard line-up next year. Also, I know Wessel and White will contribute as well.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        It will be very interesting to see how they bring FVV along next year with Seniors Mal Armstead and D-Will available. My guess is that FVV will share the point guard duties with Mal and D-Will will play primarily at the 2. With FVV filling the starting point guard role for his final 3 years. Mal would seemingly have an early advantage of having practiced in 3G's system for a year. Possible that FVV will be good enough to grab the starting point guard job from the get go. The nice thing is we have the luxury of not having to force FVV into that role if he needs some grooming and learning.
        I don't get this D-Will at the 2. This season, he's 13 of 37 for 35% FG% and 4 of 18 for 22% from three range. Based on last year, it is a more reasonable conclusion being that he was a very respectable 48% and 33%.from three.
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• This is annoying, i come on here thinking it will be FVV talk and it's anything but.

Comment

• Yeah, it would be appreciated if people would not jack threads, and stay on the thread topic.

Comment

• I'd move them but being a newbie moderator can't figure out how to give them their own thread on the basketball board.
              In the fast lane

Comment

• Originally posted by Snapshot9 View Post
                Yeah, it would be appreciated if people would not jack threads, and stay on the thread topic.
                I would agree with that as well.

If you guys want to discuss top point guards at WSU, just start a new thread in the basketball forum. I'm sure it would be a great thread actually.
                ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• FVV's Auburn team suffers their first loss of the year tonight in an unusually low scoring game, 36-39.

13 for Fred.
                  Last edited by wusphlash; December 16, 2011, 09:07 PM.
                  Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                    FVV's Auburn team suffers their first loss of the year tonight in an unusually low scoring game, 36-39.

13 for Fred.
                    They musta tripled down on Freddie-Double-V!
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• FVV kind of reminds me of

Paul Guffrovich. Here's a brief writeup on Paul in high school in Nanticoke, PA.

"Paul Guffrovich had one of those "what if?" high school careers at Nanticoke Area. As in, "what if Guffrovich played after the PIAA adopted the three-point line?"
                      A year after Guffrovich graduated, the PIAA instituted the three-point shot (19-feet, 9 inches) but during his career with the Trojans from 1984-87, Guffrovich regularly drained jump shots from 20-25 feet away from the basket. The 1987 Division I MVP following his senior season with the Trojans, Guffrovich set the school record for career points with 2,271. He averaged 32.6 points per game during his senior year and, as a sophomore, helped lead Nanticoke Area to the PIAA championship game where the Trojans fell to Erie Strong Vincent.
                      Coaches in the Wyoming Valley Conference tried a variety of defenses to slow the slick shooting point guard, who was also an outstanding defender and passer. Guffrovich consistently saw a box and-one or triangle-and-two defenses. But nothing seemed to work and Guffrovich always found a way to get his points. He ranks eighth in District 2 and fourth in the WVC on the all-time scoring list.
                      After receiving a scholarship to Wichita State University, he finished his careen 5th on the school's all-time scoring list with 1,247 points.
                      His role varied with the Shockers, either being counted on to hit the three-pointer or being relied upon to distribute the ball. He is the school's all-time leader in career three-point field goals made with 144. He is sixth all-time in assists with 383 and fifth in three point shooting percentage at 43.4. He is also fourth all-time at WSU with 114 steals and second in free throw percentage at 83.5.

DID YOU KNOW?

In high school, Guffrovich was a standout baseball player.
                      Guffrovich ranks 30th on the state's all-time scoring list.
                      He was a four-time All-Missouri Valley Conference Academic selection."
                      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:

Comment

• I like Paul but I hope that Fred is not Paul!

Comment

• tricked again...thought i was going to see a FVV update, guess not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capitol Shock II View Post
                            I like Paul but I hope that Fred is not Paul!
                            I was speaking of the fun I had reading the PA newspaper after every game Paul played after he verbaled to WSU. Great FT shooter and scorer. I think people expected a lot more from Paul, but really, 45% FGA; 43.4% from three and 83.5% from the line, not too shabby. Avg 12.2 for career, but 15.8 as a senior. Different teams, I know, but would be pleased to have stats like that from Fred, but hoping for more assists as FVV is probably more a PG than SG.

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                              Paul Guffrovich. Here's a brief writeup on Paul in high school in Nanticoke, PA.

After receiving a scholarship to Wichita State University, he finished his careen 5th on the school's all-time scoring list with 1,247 points.
                              They need to proof read their info as they dropped a digit. Guff finished his career 15th.

Surprise, surprise again, @Ta town:.

Comment

• Guffrovich was a great shooter. I don't see the similarities in the two.

Comment

Working...
                                X