No announcement yet.

Fred VanVleet is a Shocker!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think it matters who starts, but if FVV can learn HCGM's system fast enough, he should get plenty of playing time, assuming he doesn't redshirt.

Comment

• There's not a player that you've listed who can't play a combo guard. A player who is listed as a guard can't necessarily be an effective point guard but an effective point guard are almost always capable of playing with another point guard. 1's and 2's both have to be able to handle the ball, shoot the ball, and pass the ball. However, the point guard has to be more of a leader and able to get the team into their half court offense when the break doesn't work, get the team into the proper press offense when pressure defense is applied, etc. There is no reason that two guards that are capable of running the point can't play at the same time. In fact if they work together, the team could be more effective.

Comment

• If you're gonna play the 2 guard you have to be able to shoot the ball. I don't know which of these guys are the better shooters, but I don't want any of them playing 2 guard if they can't stroke it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
          If you're gonna play the 2 guard you have to be able to shoot the ball. I don't know which of these guys are the better shooters, but I don't want any of them playing 2 guard if they can't stroke it.
          Insert Clarence Carter's hit, Strokin'...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Dan, Obviously you want a 2 guard to shoot. But depending on the defense that is being played, it will depend on what they are capable. Ideally, you want a guard who can shoot 40% from 3, slash above the rim and dunk when driving, run, drive, and dish on the open court, drive and stop and shoot from medium range, but not everyone can do all this. Kyles can shoot from 3 but is not is as effective from medium range and from taking the ball all the way to the hoop when driving the ball. Ben Smith can shoot from long range but also is not as effective when driving. Murry is very effective on the open court, and when driving the ball and shooting from medium range and when taking the ball to the hoop. How many times did I read fans upset with Randy Burns when he took the ball to the hoop and it was blocked. The coach will play the players who mesh together the best and are the most effective. Every player on your list can do some of these things.

Comment

• Kyles, Smith and Murry are all 6'4" or 6'5". They bring long arms, defense over smaller guards and rebounding to the table, in addition to all being very athletic and decent shooters/ball handlers. The other guards, who are primarily point guards, lack the size, so they really need to be able to shoot the rock, otherwise, we're at a deficit at the 2 guard spot.

While Randy Burns often got stuffed by the trees, he was a really good rebounder for his height and a pretty good 3 point shooter. I'm hoping that we're past the days of having sub 6 footers at shooting guard.

Comment

• Oddly, I was thinking about this today. Numbers-wise, you could easily redshirt Fred. Dunno if that would be the smart move in the long run, but not impossible. Armstead and Cotton at PG, DW and Baker at the 2, with Joe W the third option at both spots would be enough depth.

Comment

• Fred could be the best point guard on the list and is definitely our future. I wouldn't redshirt him and I definitely wouldn't redshirt him without his approval. If Oshon is 6'3 now, he could be 6'4 or taller by the time he would be a shocker. He also looks to me like the real thing.

Comment

• I am naive but DWill will be a senior next year with three years of heavy game experience at PG under HC3G's system. Why would anybody think he won't start next year at PG? I guarantee he will backup JRags this year. He could even win his starting spot if he gets the underclassman random wild play behind him. I just don't understand all the talk about DWill at the 2 next year. Learn me!
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Not sure who else would start at the 2.

Comment

• Im planning on seeing DWill at the 2 next year with Armstead and VanVleet at the point

Comment

• Originally posted by vtshocker View Post
                          Im planning on seeing DWill at the 2 next year with Armstead and VanVleet at the point
                          As Dave Hester would say.................YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!
                          Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Agreed.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                              As Dave Hester would say.................YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!
                              :D
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                              Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

• Have any Shockernetters seen FVV play in person?
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X