No announcement yet.

Fred VanVleet is a Shocker!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWIW, Keith Bond was Mr. Oklahama basketball and Steve Grayer was Mr. Georgia.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan
      I don't know much about Jackson or Wilburn. How did their respective careers turn out?

Not sure what ever happened to Bernard Jackson, but he was a hell of a good player and was an impact player in '82-83 as a freshman but I think that was his only year. I have no idea what happened to him after that.

Gilbert Wilburn was a very good player in the same class, but eventually transferred to New Mexico State where he put up huge numbers and was eventually taken in the NBA draft, although I don't think he ever played in the NBA.

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker
        John Smith was South Carolina POY in '90? <- let that one be a warning on expectations.
        While he may have been a screwup off the court, didn't he average something like 13 points and 8 rebounds in his first two years? Anybody with data back to 1991-1993?

I might be all screwed up here but I was thinking he was a baller. Also Valley Newcomer of the year? Anyone?
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu
          John Smith was South Carolina POY in '90? <- let that one be a warning on expectations.
          While he may have been a screwup off the court, didn't he average something like 13 points and 8 rebounds in his first two years? Anybody with data back to 1991-1993?

I might be all screwed up here but I was thinking he was a baller. Also Valley Newcomer of the year? Anyone?
          He was fun to watch! Although as a young boy I saw X-Man, Antoine, Cliff, etc., John Smith was the first Shocker I saw that I remember thinking was SO MUCH better than everyone else.
          Livin the dream

Comment

If John Smith hasn't spent time in prison by now, I'd be stunned.

He was a bad person, that hung out with bad people, and made awful decisions. That he didn't kill someone, or got himself killed, is a minor miracle.

He wasn't an awful basketball player, but he was an embarrassment to the University, the city of Wichita and mankind.

I never want to see a person like that in a Shocker uniform ever again.

I don't care if it means we never win another game in any sport.

NEVER again.

Comment

There was another player, who came with John Smith in a package deal.

His first name was Boo. Was it Boo Craft? Maybe Kraft.

Shortly after they arrived on campus, they went down south and got into some kind of trouble on the John Mack Bridge. No, I am not making this up, but I might be off on my facts.
              "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                If John Smith hasn't spent time in prison by now, I'd be stunned.

He was a bad person, that hung out with bad people, and made awful decisions. That he didn't kill someone, or got himself killed, is a minor miracle.

He wasn't an awful basketball player, but he was an embarrassment to the University, the city of Wichita and mankind.

I never want to see a person like that in a Shocker uniform ever again.

I don't care if it means we never win another game in any sport.

NEVER again.
                So you are saying you don't want any future NBA'ers?

MUHAHAHAA!
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89
                  When was the last time we signed the top player at any position from a state like Illinois?

This is excellent, excellent news. Now let's finish off the class with a couple of city league studs.
                  WSU signed the Chicago player of the year Bernard Jackson in '82, and the Los Angeles player of the year Gil Wilburn in '82.

John Cooper was KC player of the year when he signed in '88?

I didn't go far enough in my pevious post. Players like that may look seemingly slow, but they are not slow, as wuzee pointed out in his previous post. They are smooth/balanced, not herky jerky, and fast. Think Deron Williams when he was at Illinois U.
                  I don't know much about Jackson or Wilburn. How did their respective careers turn out?
                  Both Jackson and Wilburn while they were here, made significant contributions, but both transferred after their freshman or sophomore years. Wilburn, had he stayed would have been a special player. He had a lot of tools at 6'5". Both players though (allegedly) had some discipline issues off court at a time when Gene Smithson was having his own issues (allegedly).

I think Jackson ended up at Loyola of Chicago and Wilburn at New Mexico or New Mexico State (I think). Both had productive careers at those schools as I recall.
                  Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
                    5 steals a game and lacks quickness???
                    Quickness helps but savvy and anticipation are keys also. I remember a guy named Jason Perez who wasn't the quickest guy to ever wear the Black and Gold. But he managed to nab a few steals in his career.

Comment

Bernard Jackson avg 26 ppg at Loyola Chi. Made a lot of noise.

Wilburn avg 23 ppg at NM State (after avg 9 ppg as a frosh at WSU?). Made a lot of noise.

Two very good players. 'Missed them both.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio

Shortly after they arrived on campus, they went down south and got into some kind of trouble on the John Mack Bridge. No, I am not making this up, but I might be off on my facts.
                        Boo Craft was about 5' 6", wore goggles and had no business as a college point guard in any division.

I think they stole a car.

This is what happens when someone like Mike Cohen gets hired.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC

Boo Craft was about 5' 6", wore goggles and had no business as a college point guard in any division.

I think the stole a car.

I think I much prefer HCGM and Graham Hatch...and 7-0 Nigerian jumping jacks that that average 5 points, 5 rebounds, and 5 blocks!
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by ABC

I think the stole a car.

I think I much prefer HCGM and Graham Hatch...and 7-0 Nigerian jumping jacks that that average 5 points, 5 rebounds, and 5 blocks!

Stealing a car? Stealing a car was baby **** along side of what this dude was doing....nearly killed 20 law officer, driving through people's back yards, knocking down mail boxes.....he got a broad in the car, took her across the state line, & that's a manhunt, and I don't think he got her permission, and that's kidnappin. How's that for high jinxs?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                              Originally posted by ABC

I think the stole a car.

Stealing a car? Stealing a car was baby #### along side of what this dude was doing....nearly killed 20 law officer, driving through people's back yards, knocking down mail boxes.....he got a broad in the car, that's a manhunt, and I don't think he got her permission, and that's kidnappin. How's that for high jinxs?
                              Those were certainly the darkest days in the history of the program. John Smith was certainly not the only bad mistake during the Cohen days, but no doubt the worst. I was so glad when we hired Scott Thompson. He didn't have much success with the program, but was a quality person and stemmed the flow of bad apples. Of course, he brought in Jason Perez which made his career worthwhile, even though Jason never got to play for Scott. Randy also recruited decent people and Turg and HCGM have certainly brought in very fine young men.

Comment

For some strange reason there are not many coaches at Fred's first July AAU event! We have a coach there however enjoying watching a future Shocker. We probably are taking a first look at a potential future star, 2014 SF, Milik Yarbrough.
                                In the fast lane

Comment

Working...
                                X