i KNOW it's frank martin.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i KNOW it's frank martin.....

....and the evil domain bob lutz writing about it, but i think he was DEAD on about martin's language...i was one ksu game last year, and he and huggins would have embarrassed sailors....

sorry if you're a sailor!

Your post might make more sense if you posted the article.

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
    -John Wooden

Comment

I heard from an acquaintance that was invited to a KjSU basketball practice last year. He said Huggins was flat in the player's faces with foul language, but Martin made Huggins look like a choirgirl. This acquaintance was so upset for the players and so embarrassed to even be associated with the happenings, he refused to return after a break.
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

sorry i didn't link....(DON'T KNOW HOW...SSSHHHHH!!!!) :)

Comment

Wonder how this affects new recruits.

Comment

they'll be cellar dwellers after this season.

Comment

Originally posted by lemuel777
              Wonder how this affects new recruits.
              Dunno, but perhaps this is another reason Stutz turned them down given his background and beliefs.
              "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

what did Martin say?

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
                  what did Martin say?
                  From what the article was hinting at I don't think they could put it in print LOL. Just tons of foul language...etc.
                  "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

From what I read on KU's board, the suggestion/guess was (and I'll abbreviate it as much as possible so as not to go too far beyond my own guidelines), "stupid m-f".

That's not confirmed, however.

Comment

Language

Gee, I remember some years ago having Gene Stephenson describe one of his everyday players to me in much the same way, except without the "m."

Of course, at the time we were sitting in a bar after one of his shows that he used to do from Old Town, and he wasn't shouting it in practice. Still, I'm fairly confident that Gene isn't exactly a choirboy in practice either -- perhaps our old spy hays could add some perspective here in the unlikely event he sees this thread -- nor would I guess that such behavior and language are all that uncommon among "old school" style coaches. (Or among military drill instructors, for that matter.) So I doubt that it affects too many recruits too adversely -- it's just part of the territory.

Comment

Didn't you guys read Martin's lips during KSU's televised games. Bobby Knight has got nothing on him. He's a combination of Tony Barone and that clown Dick Versace.

I predict KSU's b-ball program will tear itself apart from the inside out through selfish play, early graduations and a coach who is more known for yelling and screaming as opposed to developing players.

Comment

Originally posted by top20shock
                          Didn't you guys read Martin's lips during KSU's televised games. Bobby Knight has got nothing on him. He's a combination of Tony Barone and that clown Dick Versace.

I predict KSU's b-ball program will tear itself apart from the inside out through selfish play, early graduations and a coach who is more known for yelling and screaming as opposed to developing players.
                          How do you tear apart a program that was never properly sewn together? One or two stitches does not make a sweater.

Smooth
                          Spoiler Alert: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Comment

Re: Language

Originally posted by WSUwatcher
                            Gee, I remember some years ago having Gene Stephenson describe one of his everyday players to me in much the same way, except without the "m."

Of course, at the time we were sitting in a bar after one of his shows that he used to do from Old Town, and he wasn't shouting it in practice. Still, I'm fairly confident that Gene isn't exactly a choirboy in practice either -- perhaps our old spy hays could add some perspective here in the unlikely event he sees this thread -- nor would I guess that such behavior and language are all that uncommon among "old school" style coaches. (Or among military drill instructors, for that matter.) So I doubt that it affects too many recruits too adversely -- it's just part of the territory.
                            I don't think the issue with Coach Martin has anything to do with how he conducts himself in practice, although that may very well be an issue with some people.

The issue was with his sideline conduct on National TV with 10 year old kids watching and asking thier Dad why he was up in a player's face calling him a stupid-xxx m-fing idiot or something to that effect. Apparently, it did not take a deaf person to read his lips either. No doubt KSU will get plenty of face time on National TV this year so perhaps it might be in Coach Martin's interest to tone it down a little bit. I'm pretty sure his conduct has been addressed and will be closely monitored.

Perhaps just as significant are the comments that the stars are a getting preferential treatment. Say what you want about Huggins but he treated all his players pretty much the same, regardless of status on the team.

It takes all kinds but I sure prefer Coach Marwshall's approach. He is no nonsense, but when correcting a player he generally tries to start with a positive, make his point firmly but without personally attacking the player or his ancestral family tree, then finish with a positive. My guess is most players and their parents would probably prefer such and approach also.

Thank goodness Frank Martin is not our problem.

Comment

I've read a few KSU fan comments that it's no big deal because several players look up to Martin as a father figure.

Maybe off the court he's a nice guy. But if anyone I respected called me that, there would be no more respect.

Using profanity as an adjective is one thing, but using it as a noun in reference to the player is beyond reprehensible.

Comment

Working...
                              X