No announcement yet.

i KNOW it's frank martin.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the 'I don't like K-State, and I will find a way to put them down so help me God' thread?

Comment

Originally posted by BCSCat
      He doesn't have the pro-WSU/anti KU KSU slant that everyone else at the Beagle has.
      I Don't think you will find too many here that think that Lutz is a pro-WSU guy. Seems most of his articles about any of the state programs are shots at whats wrong and rarely about what is right about any of them. That is unless every other writer in the nation is on the bandwagon, then Bob will jump on too.

Comment

a couple of thoughts...
        1.almost none of the coaches i played for, nor the ones i've worked with use undue or excessive profanity.....you CAN coach without it...

2.this was not started as anti-ksu...even though i'm not a big fan.

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfanmas
          Exactly! So let's get off Frank Martin because he cussed one of his players out. If we're gonna single him out, we better start singling out all the other coaches that do the exact same thing.
          No coach should be allowed to degrade their players. I don't care if they are at KSU or WSU.

Personally, as a coach, I find it necessary sometime to get my point across, and I will continue to do it until somebody tells me they don't approve of it
          I'm assuming your talking about "cussing" and not being "degrading" like what is being charged with the KSU coach. There is a very fine line between the two.

From my experience if you have to degrade people to get your point across, then your not a very good coach or leader. I can compare and contrast the coaches, leaders and VP's I have know through sports, military and Industry. I have had both extremes. You can show "tough love" without be degrading.

Comment

"name one coach that doesn't use profanity"

MARK POTTER I've been around Mark for 15 + years and never once heard or seen him use profanity as a player or a coach. I've seen him chew on his players, the refs, umpires, and everyone else. He is just intelligent, well versed, and classy enough to do it without dropping the f-bomb every other word.

My whole point on throwing our baseball staff in the mix, with all due respect, they are very rough around the edges and effective at the same time. Lutz wrote a similar editorial about Huggies ranting & raving last year and then was kissing Gene's tail in an article a couple of months later. My whole point is, Gene and Huggie are very similar in their coaching styles and their level of success. The difference is Gene's players for the most part are great young men, Huggies seems to get a few thugs. And yes, our Baseball staff will curse the players from time to time.

I think that these type of coaches believe that it toughens them up which could be true.

Just my $.02

:wsu_posters:

PS. Lutz is a %&*# hack and has overstayed his welcome at the Eagle

Comment

Originally posted by moshock
              PS. Lutz is a %&*# hack and has overstayed his welcome at the Eagle
              That was true at least 10 years ago.

Comment

At least we can agree on Lutz being a hack! How Jeremy Martin and he can be at the same paper is mind-boggling though I'm sure J-Mart will depart for greener pastures soon.

Thank God for the internet where I can read the Star and Capital-Journal.

Comment

Let's go back to the subject of Lutz's piece.

What is wrong with it? Nothing. It is newsworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
                    Originally posted by shockerfanmas
                    Exactly! So let's get off Frank Martin because he cussed one of his players out. If we're gonna single him out, we better start singling out all the other coaches that do the exact same thing.
                    No coach should be allowed to degrade their players. I don't care if they are at KSU or WSU.

Personally, as a coach, I find it necessary sometime to get my point across, and I will continue to do it until somebody tells me they don't approve of it
                    I'm assuming your talking about "cussing" and not being "degrading" like what is being charged with the KSU coach. There is a very fine line between the two.

From my experience if you have to degrade people to get your point across, then your not a very good coach or leader. I can compare and contrast the coaches, leaders and VP's I have know through sports, military and Industry. I have had both extremes. You can show "tough love" without be degrading.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I echo that sentiment. Having experienced both sides of the issue and having made my own mistakes, I can clearly attest to the conclusion that a person using that method is not a very good leader.

Comment

'JEREMY' MARTIN...YOU MEAN jeffrey MARTIN, RON PRINCES' MAN CRUSH PERP? HE IS BRUTAL...

Comment

Prince has had to hang his cape up in the closet lately, hasn't he?

Comment

shockerfanmas: Do you see a difference between using profanity at practice and screaming it in the middle of a game on national television? I think the latter is the issue. And if your private school is allowing you or the head coach to louldly use the F bomb in front of fans during a game then I would be profoundly disappointed in both the coaches and the administration. I suspect the parents paying your salary would feel the same way.

FWIW, I've never seen a college basketball (or biddy, or high school, or even NBA) coach act the way Martin has in the games I've seen. And I've never seen Gene Stephenson act that way either.
                          Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Martin is up there with Bobby Knight in this category, and I'm not so sure he didn't pass him.

Comment

A coach can teach without profanity; a coach can teach with it. A coach can swear without degrading; a coach can degrade without swearing. On every side of this issue are coaches who succeed doing what Lutz condemns and ones who don't succeed doing the same thing. And those of you who think it turns off young kids, you're wrong. Watched any movies lately, heard any music? Even kids' movies have words in them that were once considered profanity. In the eyes of many youth, it's a badge of honor at the most; at the least, it's expected or tolerable. They may even see it as a sign of passion, fire, or desire. Recruiting players, playing them and winning with them is what the kids are interested in. And by the way, while I know correcting grammar is not to be done on here, the correct spelling is "you're" when you're expressing your opinion. Using profanity is not the only language abuse.

Comment

bballfan: Please confirm my suspicion that your grammar lesson was directed at someone other than me.

My concern has nothing to do with how a coach handles himself in practice or what techniques may work with today's youth. My concern has to do with whether a university (or fans) should tolerate Martin's language on national television.

Incidentally, correcting grammar on this board could be a full time job.
                                Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Working...
                                X