PHIL THOMASSON AT THE JAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHIL THOMASSON AT THE JAM

See, I have been trying to convince Shock Ref, that Philly is a Man on a Shocker Mission. :D Maybe it is too early to draw any conclusions about this "New Look" Shocker team. However, at the Jam, we can grasp onto some positives. PT was our leading overall scorer with 38 points. That total also was more than our whole bench total which was 37.

Last year, we would have never beat Syracuse without PT. After our team went into their funk, PT followed. I think back of how much better Henry Carr and Gary Cundiff played under Fogler their Senior year, then their previous year during Gene Smithson's last year. Why? No idea here. However, PT seems to be playing more consistant thus far this year and has been a bright spot. He is even sinking them free throws this year. Maybe a Coaching change was what he needed to bring out his best year of overall consistancy? Time will if Shock Ref had his ducks in a row and the edge on what we could expect this year from PT.
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Re: PHIL THOMASSON AT THE JAM

Originally posted by forevershockerfan
    See, I have been trying to convince Shock Ref, that Philly is a Man on a Shocker Mission. :D Maybe it is too early to draw any conclusions about this "New Look" Shocker team. However, at the Jam, we can grasp onto some positives. PT was our leading overall scorer with 38 points. That total also was more than our whole bench total which was 37.

Last year, we would have never beat Syracuse without PT. After our team went into their funk, PT followed. I think back of how much better Henry Carr and Gary Cundiff played under Fogler their Senior year, then their previous year during Gene Smithson's last year. Why? No idea here. However, PT seems to be playing more consistant thus far this year and has been a bright spot. He is even sinking them free throws this year. Maybe a Coachig change was what he needed to bring out his best year of overall consistancy? Time will if Shock Ref had his ducks in a row and the edge on what we could expect this year from PT.
    I've been saying all along that this could be a breakout year for Phil, just as Kyle Wilson's second MVC season was. He is certainly off to a fast start.
    The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Well, that's right, Phil deserves some praise so far, and I have overlooked him on some of other comments, but he is certainly putting out the effort this year, and trying to make a difference.

Keep it up Phil, we are behind you! :clap:

Comment

Actually, Shock Ref has been very enthused with PT from jump street this year. This was before PT has been putting up some consistant numbers. PT has drawn the most fouls and has vastly improved his free-throw pct. He is 14-17 at a .824%. Keep this going PT!!!!!!!
        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

I thought and wrote last season that PT was snakebit on the line. It looked like he had good form but early in the year just could not buy a FT missing EVERY one that even touched the rim. I am not surprised to see this percentage and EXPECT him to be 78% or better for the season.
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I agree that PT has been a nice plus.

However, and it's not meant in offense to PT, but if he's leading our team, then the L's might start to pile up, as exampled in our L's to Baylor and Monmouth. Our leaders need to be MB and PJ. The player taking the most shots doesn't need to be PT.

Please don't take the idea that we don't need PT from this, because we do--as a role player, not our leading scorer. So far, he's averaging .457 from the floor and 11.9 points/game. He needs to up his fg average by taking better shots--his points/game might drop a little, but someone (Gris, Clemente, Durley, PJ) would pick up the slack.

For PT to be successful, he needs to continue to run the floor in transition like he's done (this is where he really stands out), and kick the ball out to the playmakers more often when he catches it in the post.

I know this might be a harsh criticism of PT, but I think he could help us in other ways besides taking the most shots on the team.

Comment

So Phil is going all Troy Mack and Sht-uff. Cool :good:
              “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

I hope everyone's predictions to out to be true but the truth of the matter is Phil looked great this time last year. I'll reserve judgment until conference play.

Comment

I agree with Boston on this one. PT has played well so far but he still has a lot to prove – at least to me.

Comment

Following the shox from afar this season...i've also been really impressed with the consistent offensive numbers PT is putting up.

How has his defense been? Has he typically been defending the opposing PF?
                    "The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning."
                    -- Pele

Comment

Seeing Phil go up strong in traffic for a two handed dunk showed me a more confident player. He had some shots rejected by bigger players but he continued to attack. Most of his free throws hit nothing but net.
                      Maybe CGM can do a better job of inspiration.

Comment

nothing new about his non-conf play. I will be a believer when he performs like this in Valley play. Thats where it counts, IMO.

Go Phil, :wsu_posters:
                        ________
                        Arizona Dispensaries
                        http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu
                          I hope everyone's predictions to out to be true but the truth of the matter is Phil looked great this time last year. I'll reserve judgment until conference play.
                          Exactly, he did almost the same thing early last season then disappeared in MVC play. I hope he can take this fast start into conference play and really impress. I'd love the Shox to have a post player we can count on to put in a solid effort game in and game out.
                          "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                          -- Yogi Berra

Comment

I'm confident Phil's play will continue into conference play.

At CSU Phil was being unsuccessfully converted to a SF. It had been since HS that Phil had played in the paint. That's 3 years.

There's some backup on the frontcourt this year. That will take some pressure off. I'm looking for Phil to have a good year.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
                              I'm confident Phil's play will continue into conference play.

At CSU Phil was being unsuccessfully converted to a SF. It had been since HS that Phil had played in the paint. That's 3 years.

There's some backup on the frontcourt this year. That will take some pressure off. I'm looking for Phil to have a good year.
                              I agree. I also believe that when Phil has struggled, it has been psychological, not physical. Marshall has been very deliberate to be positive about Phil and help him stay upbeat. MT knew the same things about Phil, but Marshall is more of a player's coach, so I think that he is better suited to keep Phil's mental state right.
                              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Working...
                              X