• Show
Clear All

• Marshall - COY?

Discuss

My bad.
    “Talk low, talk slow and don't say too much.”
    John Wayne

Comment

Should be a no brainer but this is the MVC so who knows.

:wsu_posters:

Comment

I could see Martin getting some love if the Bears finish strong as well.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

My guess is he finishes second, if we win out. If we win out, he deserves it, but probably won't get it. I think last years post-Creighton tournament remarks will continue to be held against him, although I think he has pretty good rapport with most Valley coaches.
          "Two dribbles and a ham sandwich" ~ Gregg Marshall
          Wichita State, a team long on grit, made everything it shot. ~ Normal, Ill. newspaper 2/19/13

Comment

GM has done a remarkable job turning WSU around, but Kevin McKenna would get my vote.

Imagine if WSU lost: 1) G. Hatch 2) T. Murry & 3) C. Hannah due to injuries.

That's basically what InSU has endured, losing Kelly, Lathon & Marshall.

Yet, they have not only stayed competitive, but are winning games.

He has done more with less than anyone else in the league.

He deserves it. 8)
            Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Doesn't COY usually go to the coach of the team winning the league, just like POY does?

Comment

I love what Marshall has done, but if ISU blue stays out of the play in game, then it should definelty go to Mckenna.
                Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Coy just plays baseball I think....
                  1/16/2010 on the "Screw at the Q" HCGM... " Ive never seen a foul parade like that...If you would of let me know it was going to be a foul parade I would of brought a different team" .... "dont talk to me about fouls....Ive got to go back and look at some tape... I have some thoughts but I need to look at the tape and then I will have something very strong to say"

Comment

Remind me of his post Creighton-game remarks.

Did anyone else catch Lutz's live chat yesterday?

Clearly Lutz respects Marshall, but doesn't seem to like him much.

"I think they're both really good coaches whose personalities are night and day different. I enjoyed Mark Turgeon and I enjoy covering Gregg Marshall and his teams. I think Marshall will have the Shockers in an NCAA Tournament soon and keep them at a high level for as long as he's coaching here."

"Marshall is wired, I'll put it like that. He's volatile, emotional, even confrontational. I don't see that with the Shockers' players. It's odd, because most teams take on the personality of their coach, at least to a certain extent. "

"Yes, if you talk to players, nothing gets them going quite like a coat jacket being hurled. I think this team is just quiet by nature. Gregg Marshall is not quiet by nature, let me assure you."

Comment

Originally posted by WSUShokker
                      That's funny! :lol:
                      “Confrontation simply means meeting the truth head-on.”

Mike Krzyzewski

Comment

Originally posted by WSUShokker
                        That's what I first thought. I was thinking we were going to discuss whether there were any hard feelings between Coach Marshall and Coy after Coy left the basketball team to pursue baseball only.

As to the actual topic, I think Coach Marshall can get Coach of the Year. We were picked 5th and are going to take 2nd or 3rd probably. None of the other coaches overachieved except maybe Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC

"I think they're both really good coaches whose personalities are night and day different. I enjoyed Mark Turgeon and I enjoy covering Gregg Marshall and his teams. I think Marshall will have the Shockers in an NCAA Tournament soon and keep them at a high level for as long as he's coaching here."

"Marshall is wired, I'll put it like that. He's volatile, emotional, even confrontational. I don't see that with the Shockers' players. It's odd, because most teams take on the personality of their coach, at least to a certain extent. "

"Yes, if you talk to players, nothing gets them going quite like a coat jacket being hurled. I think this team is just quiet by nature. Gregg Marshall is not quiet by nature, let me assure you."
                          I think Coach Marshall has already demonstrated his disdain for uninformed sports columnists. Add to that that he comes off as a bit surly in general. Turgeon, he ain't, for both good and ill.

I was thinking about this discussing the team of the decade: Jamar Howard got a TON of calls his way and a TON of no calls that should have been fouls his senior year. I wouldn't expect any quarter for JT or Stutz in their senior years.
                          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ol' Badass Balla
                            Originally posted by ABC

I think Coach Marshall has already demonstrated his disdain for uninformed sports columnists. Add to that that he comes off as a bit surly in general. Turgeon, he ain't, for both good and ill.

I was thinking about this discussing the team of the decade: Jamar Howard got a TON of calls his way and a TON of no calls that should have been fouls his senior year. I wouldn't expect any quarter for JT or Stutz in their senior years.
                            I disagree. When at Winthrop, Marshall's team usually got the benefit of the officiating. At the end of the day, winning is the key. If you establish that you are consistently a top team in the league, regardless of personality, you will be able to exert influence on the refs. You can get calls because the refs like you. You can also get calls because the refs are intimidated by you.

Marshall being outspoken may hurt his popularity with some people in the short run, but in the long run, people often cave in the face of relentless pressure. As they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
                            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                              I disagree. When at Winthrop, Marshall's team usually got the benefit of the officiating. At the end of the day, winning is the key. If you establish that you are consistently a top team in the league, regardless of personality, you will be able to exert influence on the refs. You can get calls because the refs like you. You can also get calls because the refs are intimidated by you.

Marshall being outspoken may hurt his popularity with some people in the short run, but in the long run, people often cave in the face of relentless pressure. As they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
                              I agree with this post very much.

Comment

Working...
                              X