ShockerNet call-out for volleyball PART II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ShockerNet call-out for volleyball PART II

A big weekend awaits the Shocker Netters, with Drake coming in on Friday, followed by Creighton :x on Saturday.

Get out and support them these two nights if you can!! Especially on Saturday night. Senior Night, honoring Lungren and Harsh.

Over on the VB board, I read that you get in for $4 with ticket stubs from tomorrow night's Pitt State game.

the all-out call-out worked once, let's do our best to make it work again.

:posterwsu: :posterwu: :goshocks: :wsu_posters:

ewww. creighton. just the werid puts a bad taste in my mouth.

how much does it cost for those of us that would have to pay full price??(whats full price?)

last week was freakin sweet. i had a blast, although i was alone with no friends. i'll need to drag a few along next time.

college VB is pretty rocking.
    and i never believed any of you when you would always say the the Chuck was the loudest place ever. hyperbole at its finest. after going to two basketball games (that we lost...) I noticed that the crowd was way overratted on shockernet...i did, however, have seats pretty high up..probably 12 rows from the top. that must have been why it wasnt loud. because about 12 rows from the court during the VB match was rock concert loud when everyone was screaming.

needless to say again. - it was awesome.
    veni, vidi, vici

Comment

I believe that it's $7. Watch the movie next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by notquiteBWing
        ewww. creighton. just the werid puts a bad taste in my mouth.

how much does it cost for those of us that would have to pay full price??(whats full price?)

last week was freakin sweet. i had a blast, although i was alone with no friends. i'll need to drag a few along next time.

college VB is pretty rocking.
        and i never believed any of you when you would always say the the Chuck was the loudest place ever. hyperbole at its finest. after going to two basketball games (that we lost...) I noticed that the crowd was way overratted on shockernet...i did, however, have seats pretty high up..probably 12 rows from the top. that must have been why it wasnt loud. because about 12 rows from the court during the VB match was rock concert loud when everyone was screaming.

needless to say again. - it was awesome.
        The only other college arena I've seen a game in is at KU. And I was disappointed that 16k fans couldn't get as loud as the 10k at WSU. Everyone always talks about KU on TV. But I've yet to see it approach WSU in how loud it can get. I've only been to 4 games in Lawrence, but it sounded like maybe an average game in Wichita.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Everyone ( esp us and rightly so) thinks their place is the loudest. KU is very impressive for a rivalry game. I'm sure if a newcomer came to our building when we are playing in November they wouldn't be all that impressed, but if they saw an SIU or Creighton game, they'd see what all the fuss is about.

Comment

Luckily, I've had some KU fans at WSU games who've been impressed and have admitted it's the loudest they've ever experienced as well. I'm sure there could be exceptions. I was at a KU game that went down to the wire and the volume level was sad. It was a B12 game against aTm. I know they're not a rival but they were quite good and nearly beat Kansas.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Not to be a dork here, but can someone help me understand how being a "loud" arena is such a magnificent thing. Everyone talks about how Koch is one of the "loudest" arenas in college basketball, like it's just self-evident that being loud is better.

When all the fans are clapping and cheering and the place is rocking, the oppenents feed off of that also. It gets opponents hyped when they come out into a rocking arena. They don't know you're not clapping for them. Also, when the place is going crazy during timeouts, our coach has to scream like crazy just to explain plays to the players. How does that help our team when the coach has to scream and players have a hard time hearing their coach? Absolutely you should cheer when our guys make good plays, but being loud all the time is not always a good thing.

I don't know that the loudness of an arena negatively affects opponents. It might hype them up and make them play better!

Comment

I've been to both places for games and its my experience that it gets louder at ku games. It may not peak out quite as high as wsu but over the course of the game its much louder there than here. They have a lot more students at games and people tend to be much more involved when i comes to cheering. Not as many people sitting on their hands there. The last KU game I attended was a nebraska blowout and it was quite a bit louder than wsu with the exception of a few games of recent memory such as florida state etc... just my 2 cents. I also should maybe note that I sat closer to the floor at KU games which isnt the way i like it but where my buddies have tickets. that could also be a factor. The volume is going to be different at different locations in any arena. What you get at floor level is going to be very different then say sitting up in the corners at KU. Another factor is how loud those directly around you are. Obviously if your in the middle of a rowdy student section its much louder than sitting in the same spot across the way on teh other end of an arena. And maybe the last thing to consider is how involved in a game a person is. If I get really involved in a game and walk out odds are I'm going to remember it being louder than it really was. I guess what im getting at is that its all relative and there isnt a way to declare one place louder than the other.

Comment

I'm sure a few opponents (individual players) might feed off of it, but unless they are total morons, they know exactly why the place is loud.

I don't agree with your premise. Loud is intimidating and for every time an opponent might gain the advantage I'd be willing to bet there are 4-5 times it helps the home team.

60% of games are won by the home team. And I doubt that's due to the colors on the floor or the area behind the basket.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                    60% of games are won by the home team. And I doubt that's due to the colors on the floor or the area behind the basket.
                    But may be directly related to Syracuse only paying us once.

Comment

How often is it loud during timeouts? Usually that is when it quiets down which is often why an opposing coach will call a time out...to quiet the crowd. It may not be intimidating to players who have played here a few times, but to others it would be. Not just intimidating but confusing as well. Some players can tune it out, but they are human and could let it get to them. A loud home crowd is ALWAYS better. And with Marshall's offensive system coming from memory and not calling plays it may cause less "harm" to the home team than ever.
                      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by WuShockFan
                        Not to be a dork here, but can someone help me understand how being a "loud" arena is such a magnificent thing. Everyone talks about how Koch is one of the "loudest" arenas in college basketball, like it's just self-evident that being loud is better.

When all the fans are clapping and cheering and the place is rocking, the oppenents feed off of that also. It gets opponents hyped when they come out into a rocking arena. They don't know you're not clapping for them. Also, when the place is going crazy during timeouts, our coach has to scream like crazy just to explain plays to the players. How does that help our team when the coach has to scream and players have a hard time hearing their coach? Absolutely you should cheer when our guys make good plays, but being loud all the time is not always a good thing.

I don't know that the loudness of an arena negatively affects opponents. It might hype them up and make them play better!

Well, let's just ask Coach and the players which way they would prefer the crowd to be ----

Comment

As for volleyball...Ahearn Field House at KSU was extremely loud for volleyball a few years ago (I don't if they still play there or not). I could only imagine how loud it was when they packed 13k people in it for bball.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound
                            As for volleyball...Ahearn Field House at KSU was extremely loud for volleyball a few years ago (I don't if they still play there or not). I could only imagine how loud it was when they packed 13k people in it for bball.
                            well until last year it was probably pretty quiet since they didn't even come close to packing it for bball LOL.
                            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Re: ShockerNet call-out for volleyball PART II

Originally posted by shox8498
                              A big weekend awaits the Shocker Netters, with Drake coming in on Friday, followed by Creighton:x on Saturday.
                              Fixed.

I could care less what you call us, but please don't put our name in red. Red is for the morons 40 minutes to the west of us. 8)

Comment

Working...
                              X