CSTV MVC Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSTV MVC Preview

CBS Sports features live scoring, news, stats, and player info for NFL football, MLB baseball, NBA basketball, NHL hockey, college basketball and football.

7. Wichita State

Gregg Marshall comes over from a very successful run at Winthrop and replaces Mark Turgeon, who left the Shockers for Texas A&M. He inherits a little of the team that started the season 9-0 and peaked at No. 8 in the polls, before a complete collapse left them 17-14 and out of the postseason. After that, Turgeon left, three players transferred, including starter Sean Ogirri, and two of Turgeon's recruits, Evann Baker and Denzel Bowles, backed out. A third recruit, Guy Alang-Ntang, died during a pick-up game. Then, one of Marshall's first recruits, Ejike Hart, had to drop out because of academic issues. Marshall will try to build what's left around preseason all-conference player P.J. Couisnard.

NO LOVE :-x
    Shocker Football...Alive in '95 errr 2005 errr 2025!!

Guess thats why we play the games! :posterwu: :posterwsu: 8) 8)
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

That's probably the most blunt and, unfortunately, accurate description of what happened to WSU.

If you were the coach at the end of last year - what would you have done? 3 players are going to transfer whether you stay or leave. Bowles isn't going to show up whether you stay or leave. There's another frontcourt player who you're going to kick off the team.

I've always respected coaches who left on a high note and left a competent team. Miller left a F4 team. Smithson left an NCAA team, but didn't leave on a high note. Turgeon left a mess that even a last-minute heroic recruiting effort can't get WSU out of a pre-season selection for a play-in game in St. Louis.

I've never respected coaches anywhere in any sport who left because their career W/L% was going to be damaged if they stayed. It's a career move for the coach who has to maintain a career W/L%.

I don't think there's any question that Marshall's team is going to be better than what Turgeon would have had this year.

When the only returning frontcourt player is PT, that team isn't going to gget much pre-season respect. WSU doesn't even return any frontcourt role players other than PT.

When the returning So-Jr-Sr class includes exactly 1 (one) player taller than 6'4" and that player was not that successful as a role player the previous year, that team is going to get some poor pre-season predictions.

I've been critical of Fogler for leaving the cupboard bare, but one returning player taller than 6'4"? That's got to be a record.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Aargh,

You forgot that P.J. was thinking about going pro and Mekel might not have coming back. Other than that, you were right on.

Comment

Re: CSTV MVC Preview

Originally posted by GO_SHOCKERS
          http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stories/110607abb.html

7. Wichita State

Gregg Marshall comes over from a very successful run at Winthrop and replaces Mark Turgeon, who left the Shockers for Texas A&M. He inherits a little of the team that started the season 9-0 and peaked at No. 8 in the polls, before a complete collapse left them 17-14 and out of the postseason. After that, Turgeon left, three players transferred, including starter Sean Ogirri, and two of Turgeon's recruits, Evann Baker and Denzel Bowles, backed out. A third recruit, Guy Alang-Ntang, died during a pick-up game. Then, one of Marshall's first recruits, Ejike Hart, had to drop out because of academic issues. Marshall will try to build what's left around preseason all-conference player P.J. Couisnard.

NO LOVE :-x

A blunt but very accurate assessment.

Turgeon left the program in shambles. We can't expect pre-season predictions to be any better.

I have a lot of confidence in Marshall. I think we improved our coaching situation.

But we can't expect miracles the first year. Turgeon left us in terrible shape, it is going to take Marshall a couple of years to right the ship.

I remain hopeful that it will come sooner than later. With the Valley being down, I am even hoping for a miracle this year, but I don't really expect it.

Comment

Yeah we probably won't be too good this year.

- Marshall is an unproven coach.
            - We have no leadership at point guard
            - We possess no "MVC Player of the Year Candidates"
            - We didn't get any quality recruits
            - We draw crap for home attendance.
            - We don't get a legitimate 7-0'er help until after X-mas.

I don't know what were gonna do. We are screwed.... 8)
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
              I've been critical of Fogler for leaving the cupboard bare, but one returning player taller than 6'4"? That's got to be a record.

Admittedly Eddie didn't leave with 5 McDonald's AAs on the bench (who would), but as usual I have to come to his defense.

I hardly think leaving the next coach with a JUNIOR class that included 1000 point scorers Paul Guffrovich (one of the best guards of the last 20 years) and John Cooper (maybe the single best player of the last 20 years) and a more than serviceable 6'7" Aaron Davis along with super talented sophmore Keith Bonds hardly seems bare to me.

Revisionist historians are not my favorite group.

Comment

I for one expect great things this year as does HCGM. Many have said that we will start the season soft and end strong. We all will be happy in the end.

Comment

I think we'll be fine. Let everyone think we're a 7 spot team.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
                    That's probably the most blunt and, unfortunately, accurate description of what happened to WSU.

If you were the coach at the end of last year - what would you have done? 3 players are going to transfer whether you stay or leave. Bowles isn't going to show up whether you stay or leave. There's another frontcourt player who you're going to kick off the team.

I've always respected coaches who left on a high note and left a competent team. Miller left a F4 team. Smithson left an NCAA team, but didn't leave on a high note. Turgeon left a mess that even a last-minute heroic recruiting effort can't get WSU out of a pre-season selection for a play-in game in St. Louis.

I've never respected coaches anywhere in any sport who left because their career W/L% was going to be damaged if they stayed. It's a career move for the coach who has to maintain a career W/L%.

I don't think there's any question that Marshall's team is going to be better than what Turgeon would have had this year.

When the only returning frontcourt player is PT, that team isn't going to gget much pre-season respect. WSU doesn't even return any frontcourt role players other than PT.

When the returning So-Jr-Sr class includes exactly 1 (one) player taller than 6'4" and that player was not that successful as a role player the previous year, that team is going to get some poor pre-season predictions.

So, are you saying Coach Turgeon should have turned down the A&M offer and continue as the WSU coach. After he had improved player personnel to a higher level, then it would be okay to move on to another job?

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
                      So, are you saying Coach Turgeon should have turned down the A&M offer and continue as the WSU coach. After he had improved player personnel to a higher level, then it would be okay to move on to another job?
                      Turgeon did what he felt he needed to do....that said, the recruiting issues were more than just last year...The size and type of recruits didn't keep up with the growth in the program, and after a few years of barely restocking, you end up with a cupboard that is in need of a shopping spree

Comment

Aargh:

Obviously there is still a tremendous amount of bitterness concerning Turgeon's departure, bail-out, or whatever you want to call it. And for many, this memory will remain for some time to come.

You made a comment that Bowles would not have honored his LOI even had MT stayed. I was out of the country when all the crap hit the fan, but I have always had the impression (maybe mistakenly) that he would have remained a Shocker had MT not departed. Can you clairify as perhaps you have some inside information.

You furthered stated, "I don't think there's any question that Marshall's team is going to be better than what Turgeon would have had this year."

I'm thrilled with what GM has been able to do in such a short period of time, but I must say, that at the time, the players MT had signed up - Bowles, Sampay, Baker, and Guy, were being touted by all of us as the finest recruiting classes in one hell of a long time.

Unfortunately, life happens. People die, split, change jobs, don't pan out, and never reach their potential.

In my opinion, only after the Big Guy actually shows up, could the two classes be fairly compared.

Comment

This is going to be a tough year but I keep saying who cares we have a great coach and program the perfect ingridients to be great soon.

Comment

I honestly think we ended up on the better end of the coaching change. I've admired Marshall for 4 or 5 years from afar and think he can take us farther.

Word is Bowles wouldn't have come here anyway. He would have gone to prep school if he could't find a spot on a BcS team. I was excited about Baker and did like the thought of Sampay. But I think I'll take Griskanes and Ellis as additions over them. And if/when Ehimen gets here it looks like this recruiting class will be better than what we would have had. At least in my mind.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                              Word is Bowles wouldn't have come here anyway. He would have gone to prep school if he could't find a spot on a BcS team. I was excited about Baker and did like the thought of Sampay. But I think I'll take Griskanes and Ellis as additions over them. And if/when Ehimen gets here it looks like this recruiting class will be better than what we would have had. At least in my mind.
                              Agree! And you know why I'd take our new guys over MT's guys. It's genuine. Like they all really want to be here and play for Coach Marshall.

Bowles and Sampay with MT...not so much.
                              FINAL FOURS:
                              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                              Number of Times Ranked: 157
                              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                              #3 - Dec. 2017
                              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                              #2 ~ March 2014
                              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                              X