Fr class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fr class

Orukpe, Durley, Butler, Ellis, Hatch, Burley, Michaels.

Not counting the walkons, that's 7', 6'7", 6'7", 6'8", 6'4"

Butler is the big question mark. He's capable of becoming the next Calvin Walls or the next Randall Falker.

Durley looks to be an eventual all-MVC player. His approach to the game is pretty aggressive.

Orukpe looks like a multi-year all-MVC player. I know. I know. We haven't seen him play even in a scrimmage.

Ellis is a potential 1st-team all-Valley player.

I doubt all of them can receive those accolades, but this is the best Fr class since Howard, Burns, Kampam, Miller Possibly better than that class.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

i agree that butler is an athlete and looks like he has all the potential but after watching the scrimmage and watching how bad he missed a shot, im not so sure that potential will ever develope. He should already be showing some progress and im not sure i see it.

Comment

Interesting topic.

Last night I was talking to DeerSlayer about size.

I looked at the roster, but I do not have it in front of me now. As I recall, we only have one scholarship player under 6-3 on the team. Of course, it is Matt Braeuer.

I like size at the guard positions and I suspect Coach Marshall does too.

I am confused about Ellis. Is he a 2-3 guy or strictly a 3 guy? Or maybe a 3-4 guy, after he gains some weight.

Comment

I am confused about Ellis. Is he a 2-3 guy or strictly a 3 guy? Or maybe a 3-4 guy, after he gains some weight.
        I think it depends on whether he usually shoots the ball like he did at the scrimmage. If so, he needs to get under the basket. He has been referred to as a 3 all along, so I'm going to assume that he can shoot much better than he showed us that night.

Comment

Somewhere I heard that he is a very good shooter

Comment

Originally posted by wushock
            Somewhere I heard that he is a very good shooter
            You're not alone. Every article I read had quotes from his HS coach about how good of a perimeter shot he has.

I'm hoping he was just a little nervous at the scrimmage. He's probably never played in front of that many people. I'm also counting on him getting good minutes in our first three games so he can settle in.

Comment

Originally posted by fuball7
              i agree that butler is an athlete and looks like he has all the potential but after watching the scrimmage and watching how bad he missed a shot, im not so sure that potential will ever develope. He should already be showing some progress and im not sure i see it.
              Fun to judge off one scrimmage and one shot, isn't it? I understand what you are saying. Hopefully he was just having a bad night.

Comment

I don't think we can completely judge Butler off of his one shot he took. Heck, even PJ threw up an air ball. But he does have some work to do and his potential still excites me. Even if he just becomes a defensive guy who blocks shots it would give us something.

Durley will be a player. He's strong and aggressive and has a nice soft touch. He can also step out and hit away from the basket. It's possible he could start this year at the 5 before losing his spot to Ehimen. Even though I expect him to come off the bench.

Ellis will be a player and he is a 3. A 6'8" SF is a great asset to have and can cause some problems for other teams. He excites me and will be a nice edition coming off the bench.

Hatch should end up being a nice player. I'm not expecting greatness out of him but he's smart and can make up for any lack of athleticism or quickness. He does have a nice looking shot and could be a solid player for us.

Ehimen will be a player and All-Valley at some point. With all we've heard about him he can come in and make a difference early and should improve over time. Should provide us with a defensive presence early and that's one thing we've been lacking inside.

Michael and Burley are walk-ons and I don't expect much. Michael looks like he could be a great practice player for the Shox and that's basically what they're here for. I don't know enough about Burley but word is he should be nothing less than a good practice body. If either develop beyond that, good for them. And that'd be good for WSU.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Lem, to be fair, we've gotten reports here from people who have watched him struggle in multiple ways during individual workouts.

This is speculation, obviously, but I'm guessing if anyone's scholarship is in a precarious position, it's probably Butler's. I'm betting coach Marshall will be expecting to see some major improvement from Arbry over the course of the season in practices. Although with Ellis on board, would Arbry ever get to see very many minutes?

Comment

Butler could still be an option at the 4. I know some people think Ellis will play some there but I don't see that happening myself. At least very little.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I doubt all of them can receive those accolades, but this is the best Fr class since Howard, Burns, Kampam, Miller Possibly better than that class.
                      I agree, what I really like to compare is the level of athleticism comming into the program, compared to the Burns, Kampman, Miller class. IMO we are starting with a higher level of player. (read faster, stronger) What made the older class so good was their ability to overcome their weak points, with basketball IQ. We may have been frusterated at times with all of those players, but they increased their basketball IQ so much over their four years. IF this class can puts the effort into learning the game, they will be dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
                        Interesting topic.

Last night I was talking to DeerSlayer about size.

I looked at the roster, but I do not have it in front of me now. As I recall, we only have one scholarship player under 6-3 on the team. Of course, it is Matt Braeuer.

I like size at the guard positions and I suspect Coach Marshall does too.

Time, mass, and neccessity will go a long way in determining his ultimate best position, but he is a 2-3 more than a 3-4.

He was a freshman at the scrimmage. He was a little overwhelmed at the situation (imo) and didn't relax. He is much better than most of us witnessed.

Comment

A 6'8" SF is a great asset to have and can cause some problems for other teams. He excites me and will be a nice edition coming off the bench.
                          Fwiw, Ellis is listed at 6-7 on the official roster.

Comment

Same difference.

Rivals had him at 6'8" so that's what I had.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I have read a lot about the concern for our size and play inside and obviously how that develops will be key in determining how successful this season can be. But I can say this, not to knock the crew from last year, from witnessing the squad at Madness, although we may still be undersized in comparison to other teams in the Valley, we should definately have more aggressivness and production from our play in the paint this year. And what did we have, 17 wins last year? OH BABY!

Comment

Working...
                              X