STARTING 5!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STARTING 5!!!

Okay, so only a couple of weeks before the opening tip off!!! If you were the head coach of this year's squad, what would YOUR starting 5 be?! (with and without Orukpe)

With Orukpe, mine would be...
    PG - Matt Braeuer
    SG - Gal Mekel
    SF - P.J. Cousinard
    PF - Ramon Clemente
    C - Ehimen Orukpe

Without Orukpe, mine would be...
    PG - Matt Braeuer
    SG - Gal Mekel
    SF - P.J. Couisnard
    PF - Ramon Clemente
    C - Phillip Thomasson

Gal needs to start, even if it pushes P.J. back to the 3 spot, IMO...

Outside of Pj Matt and Ramo everything is up for grabs

Comment

People hate me for saying this (and let it be known that I LOVE Matt both as a person and a player) but we are simply not going to be at the highest level of our conference or compete nationally with Matt running the point.

Gal needs to gut it up on the defensive end and do what it takes to win the graces of the coach because we absolutely need him on the court more, now.

MY five at this point are: Gal, PJ, Mantas, Ramon, JT

However I expect the season to start with Matt, PJ, Mantas, Ramon and Phil.

Wendell, Gal, JT and Aaron will get the lion's share of the bench minutes.

Arbry will get limited experience minutes. Bret, Graham, Lance, Brett should all get mop up time at most. AJ is sitting out. Ehimen will play when he gets here and be added to the top 9 rotation, imo.

BTW, AJ will be All Conference next season barring injury. Bank it.

Comment

PG Matt
        SG PJ
        SF MG
        PF Ramon
        C PT

Comment

I agree with Doc on Matt vs Gal. My "sleeper" is Hatch. If Hatch can create his own outside shot and hit threes in game situations, how do you keep him out? Defense is unknown; did he pick Matt last night??
          Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Gal, PJ, Mantas, Ramon, JT

when the 7 footer shows up he starts at the 5.

Comment

Originally posted by t7017s
              Gal, PJ, Mantas, Ramon, JT

when the 7 footer shows up he starts at the 5.
              Why not the 1? ;-)
              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                People hate me for saying this (and let it be known that I LOVE Matt both as a person and a player) but we are simply not going to be at the highest level of our conference or compete nationally with Matt running the point.

Gal needs to gut it up on the defensive end and do what it takes to win the graces of the coach because we absolutely need him on the court more, now.

MY five at this point are: Gal, PJ, Mantas, Ramon, JT

However I expect the season to start with Matt, PJ, Mantas, Ramon and Phil.

Wendell, Gal, JT and Aaron will get the lion's share of the bench minutes.

Arbry will get limited experience minutes. Bret, Graham, Lance, Brett should all get mop up time at most. AJ is sitting out. Ehimen will play when he gets here and be added to the top 9 rotation, imo.

BTW, AJ will be All Conference next season barring injury. Bank it.
                At the start of the season I think we should start Matt because of the *gulp* experience factor. I have no qualms about Gal running the point for us whatsoever and feel we are in really good hands when he does.

I would love to have them both start at 1 & 2 but with Cooz moving to the 2 that simply wont happen.

Same as with Phil. he will get the upperclassmen starting nod but I fully expect to see JT within his place soon that is unless we have a whole year thats the same as his start of the first half from last year.

Mantas will start at 3 for sure I should have added that in there.

Comment

My five:

PG Matt (he knows how to run the show)
                  SG PJ
                  SF Mantas (don't sleep on Mantas)
                  PF Ramon
                  C Phil (he just needs to work harder)

Gal off the bench as sixth man, either replacing Matt at PG or replacing PJ at SG, while PJ moves to SF. Some of the best games last year were when Matt and Gal played at the same time at PG and SG. Chemistry.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShockFan
                    My five:

What does this mean? Are you insinuating he's lazy? Don't mistake the mental aspect of the game with effort.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                      I agree with Doc on Matt vs Gal. My "sleeper" is Hatch. If Hatch can create his own outside shot and hit threes in game situations, how do you keep him out? Defense is unknown; did he pick Matt last night??

If you are thinking about the play that I remember, Spangler, it was actually Bret Michael that stripped him.

Personally, I will be astonished if GH gets much playing time this year.

Comment

u people saying matt should start over Gal are just allowing emotions to get in the way.

Gal has a ceiling sooooo much higher than matt it isn't funny. Matt is great but if you want to try to improve from last year Gal needs to start.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu
                          My five:

What does this mean? Are you insinuating he's lazy? Don't mistake the mental aspect of the game with effort.
                          Last year Phil made a lot of sloppy, weak passes that resulted in turnovers. He also was weak on the boards many times and was out-rebounded. Those are errors resulting from lack of effort.

Phil has the talent. All I'm saying is that the guy's a fifth-year Senior and all he needs to do is work harder and play with more effort and there's no way a frosh like Durley gets a starting spot over him.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu
                            My five:

Why was Phil hanging around on the perimeter last night so much? Is he going to become Kyle Wilson? I wanted to see him fighting under the basket more than waiting for a pass outside and then passing it to someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Ta town
                              u people saying matt should start over Gal are just allowing emotions to get in the way.

Gal has a ceiling sooooo much higher than matt it isn't funny. Matt is great but if you want to try to improve from last year Gal needs to start.
                              check my post count and dont generalize. I am a firm believer that
                              Gal > Matt

But realistically Matt is going to end up starting the first of the year.

Hes going to have a tougher time though considering hes been 3 years in Turg's system as compared to 1 for Gal.

Comment

Working...
                              X