Mid major coaching rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid major coaching rankings

Hard to disagree with that list... except maybe the hofstra coach behind altman and possibly marshall
    Up your nose with a rubber hose - Barbarino

I'd put altman and marshall at 1 and 2. Dont tell me lowry has done more than either of those guys. Hell lowry hasnt had to even worry about loseing a good player till this year with teh loss of 2 in tatum and young. Altman and marshal however have been at it a while and if ya look at the numbers and the track record both having of winning and being able to sustain succes through turnover and multiple years id hope anyone would have agree.

Comment

I tend to agree. I think Lowery is a great coach, and will continue to have success, but its difficult to put him here until he proves himself with his own players.

Altman is probably being held back by Marty Schottenheimer syndrome.

Comment

next year will be key for him, all of Bruce Weber's kids will be gone

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDorian
          next year will be key for him, all of Bruce Weber's kids will be gone
          This is Lowery's 4th year as head coach and Painter was head coach for a year after Weber left. How exactly do you figure that Weber's players are still around?
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Here's what I find hilarious in the article:

The Salukis locked up Lowery this past offseason to a long-term contract that featured a $750,000-a-year salary, an unprecedented number for a Missouri Valley Conference school.
            The Shockers paid a high-major type of salary, signing Marshall for $750,000 a year.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

It's probably just me, but I do not consider any University that fields a Division 1 football program (Nevada, UNLV) a 'mid-major'. What is the difference between Memphis and UNLV and Nevada?

Comment

yeah if i remember correctly UNLV had some pretty good teams in the 90's... just because they fell off doesnt mean they get to become a mid major... if KU decided to fall year after year could they become a mid major? Answer: NO
                Up your nose with a rubber hose - Barbarino

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
                  It's probably just me, but I do not consider any University that fields a Division 1 football program (Nevada, UNLV) a 'mid-major'. What is the difference between Memphis and UNLV and Nevada?

Is Memphis not considered mid-major?

Comment

Charlie, I think that many have taken Memphis and thrown them into the high major category. Sometimes C-USA is called a high-major and others call it mid-major. Gonzaga gets lumped in there too.

I liked the quote about the Saluki's and their $750K contract being unprecedented. Wasn't it 2 years ago that WSU gave a coach a $750K / yr contract? And last time I checked, they were in the MVC then too.

Comment

Both WSU and CU were paying that before SIU. That line did make me laugh. Moreso when you see the same number on Marshall.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I think that was misprinted, but I could certainly be wrong. I think he meant to say that it is unpresidented for "this MVC school".

Also I don't think it was intended to be a coaches ranking of skill or success as much as it was a ranking of coaches likely to make the jump to a BCS school. I realize the money CLo is now making in Carbondale and his loyalty to the program, but whether Dawgie fans want to admit it or not, SIU is nowhere near the "destination job" that say even CU would be and is light years from WSU, irrespective of their incredible success in recent years.

Comment

Dana Altman is in my opinion very overrated, it doesnt mean anything if you cant get past the first round of the tournament. Id put Barry Swinson up there hes done some awesome things with the MSU Program if you ask me, and has def recieved the shaft in the last two years.

Seton Hall over MSU You gotta be kiddin me.
                          "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
                          CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Comment

Dana gets those 'KSU shakes' when he gets to the big dance?

What is the average attendence for SIU?

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                              Dana gets those 'KSU shakes' when he gets to the big dance?

What is the average attendence for SIU?
                              But the last time Dana experienced those shakes with KSU is also the last time KSU went Dancing. How about 'dem apples :lol:
                              “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Working...
                              X