X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monson/mid-major GREAT READ!

Monson/mid-major GREAT READ!

Kind of makes you think doesn't it?

Wonder if Turg will ever dream of the great ol' days at WSU after the pressure of a BCS school. We probably consider this job pressure packed, however, it is probably not nearly as much so as the Big 12.

Comment

Yes, it does. I don't imagine a huge salary cut is near as fun as a huge salary increase.

There are lots of good coaches out there, and sometimes these coaches just inherit good players for awhile, but after awhile, if they can't recruit right, it begins to show up, and it may not be entirely their fault.

Recruiting for a well known and performing Mid-Major may be easier than recruiting for a 'down' bigger school, which, in turn, inhibits their performance level in the bigger conference, and therefore becomes a recipe for diseaster.

Let's see, Bruce Weber comes to mind .... LOL (I don't care for either of the Bruces, Weber or Pearl).

Oh, I imagine Mark will have days he daydreams about the good ole WSU days.

Comment

Indeed

A very good article indeed, pin.

Maybe the ideal combo from the standpoint of having an actual life as well as some professional success is a situation where a coach can...

...make pretty big (not necessarily enormous, but plenty to be comfortable for life if he sticks around for a while) bucks,

...have a chance to hit the tournament jackpot now and then (after all, how many times has even Gonzaga gone past the round of 16? -- it doesn't have to happen all the time for a program to get a high profile; nor do you have to advance all the time to keep a high profile, as Bill Self has learned, or even get in every year, as Blowhard Gary Williams knows)

...not have to deal on a regualr basis with the big school demands, politics, and pressures, or the challenges of being in a hig-visibility conference...

In other words, Wichita State? I know it isn't in South Carolina, but what the hell -- why not Wichita State?

Comment

Mark may indeed think wistfully about his time at WSU someday, Snap. Maybe someday in the not too distant future.

For all the good that he did, MT ultimately proved to be too much of a stepping-stone guy to capitalize fully on the advantages of life at WSU. He wasn't an Eddie Fogler, certainly -- but he was absolutely too much influenced by his chronically discontented mentor Larry Brown; and he seemed, in Brown's characteristic style, to focus disproportionately on what was wrong here or difficult here.

Coach Marshall, on the other hand, was willing to spend nine years at Winthrop. Of course, Winthrop was back home in South Carolina, and WSU isn't. Still, Marshall doesn't seem like a climber, and as the lesson of Dan Monson shows, life in a smaller spotlight can have a lot to recommend it.

Comment

That article is not applicable to Mark's situation. Mark was under pressure here and WSU is more BCS than mid-major. Mark's pay was BCS, the coach's in the article was not.

T

...8)

Comment

Difference between WSU and Winthrop is alot of money and a good conference. WSU can give someone a good, sound financial amount that would make living much easier. WSU has the potential to get to the "Upper Echelon" as well with the MVC.

Since no one really knows coach, and can only go off of what we have seen in the past, we can't say that he wouldn't do what Turgeon did. Odds look good that he won't jump ship for a better paying low end BCS job, but who knows.

No one can blame Monson for doing what he did. I would have in a heart beat. To get a garaunteed $7 million? If it doesn't work out, you just go to another school, which is exactly what he did. Only he doesn't have to worry about pay much anymore.

Comment

Good for Monson but I wouldn't want him to coach my favorite team. I want a coach who says "I want to be the best, play the best, win it all, and make the most money for it."

Comment

one more season like the last and turgeon would have been gone. he just let too many things go. recruiting, leadership, and conditioning to name a few.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog
                    Good for Monson but I wouldn't want him to coach my favorite team. I want a coach who says "I want to be the best, play the best, win it all, and make the most money for it."
                    He probably thought that heading into Minn. I imagine the same could be said for Altman with K-State and now he’s got a pretty good thing going in Omaha. Just because a particular situation doesn’t work out with a BCS school doesn’t necessarily make a coach damaged goods.

Ironic: It didn’t hit me until after I wrote that about the Altman-pigsooey connection!

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                      That article is not applicable to Mark's situation. Mark was under pressure here and WSU is more BCS than mid-major. Mark's pay was BCS, the coach's in the article was not.

T

...8)
                      I tend to agree. The article was interesting and worth discussing but because of the salary and being part of a multiple bid conference WSU does not pose the same kind of job choice dilemma as the one described in the article.
                      The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

I think other so called mids have achieved a high level. Why else is it so hard for schools like Creughton and SIU etc to get BCS school to play them on a equal playing field.

8) :posterwu:
                        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

You know, there is so much luck involved with coaching.

I think Bruce Weber is a pretty good coach and all of us in Carbondale are thankful for what he did for SIU's program but the reality is this: When we went to the Sweet 16 in 2002, Drake won at Creighton on the last day of the regular-season to give us a share of the MVC title with the Blue Jays. While we were listed as a bubble team at the time, a share of the conference crown almost guaranteed we'd get in as an at-large. Without it, we were at the mercy of the selection committee.

What would have happened if Creighton had won that game? Would we have been invited to the NCAA tourney? If not, we wouldn't have had the chance to beat Texas Tech or Georgia and introduce ourselves to the nation. And, if Drake hadn't beat Creighton, Bruce Weber may have never had the chance to leave us to go to Illinois.

If you guys hadn't been hit by injuries and such last year, Texas A&M probably wouldn't have had a shot at Turgeon ... he would have gone somewhere bigger.

Funny how things work.

Comment

Working...
                          X