HCGM Speaks to Wichita Lawyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HCGM Speaks to Wichita Lawyers

I attended a luncheon of the Wichita Bar Association today, with guest speaker, Coach Gregg Marshall. This was my first time hearing him speak, and as reported on this board, he was personable, funny and impressive. Here is a summary:

He started off by saying that he contemplated going to law school, but it was too much reading so he went to business school instead. He said even though he was not a lawyer, he thinks he dresses like one (nice suit and tie). His wife was there with him and was helping him with names and things he wanted to remember. You can tell they are a great team together.

The Valley: He mentioned that the teams in the Valley he is most excited about playing are Creighton and Southern Illinois. He said they have been the traditional powerhouses in the Valley and he knows our history with them. He said So. Ill. “spits nails” and he wants his team to be like that too. He had a fan ask him to please beat Creighton and “outcoach Dana Altman.” He said he will make every effort to do that.

Coach said he had spent an hour today standing in a dark Koch Arena, with just one spotlight on him, and he had to pretend like he was coaching his team. This was so we would have footage of him for the video that hypes up the fans before player intros. They will computer generate his background later. He says that it comes very natural during a real game but doing it like this was very difficult.

Conditioning: He talked about increasing the cardio training on the guys. He mentioned how one of the new guys, Aaron Ellis was so skinny when he got here that “he could have taken a nap on a clothes line” but he has gained 16 lbs. now and is up to 197lbs on a 6’9” frame. He mentioned that J.T. Durley has lost 20 lbs. that he desperately needed to lose. Someone from the audience asked him about the collapse of the Shockers last year and Marshall said he did not think the losing streak was psychological, but speculated that it might have been due to lack of conditioning and toughness. He said he was not critical of the previous staff, but that they had backed off after the Sweet 16 and because of Canada and had not paid back the success they had previously (not a direct quote but that was the gist).

Player Relations: He and his coaches will stop what they are doing if a player comes to their offices and needs to talk, in fact, they encourage the players to come talk with them.
    --Marshall has invited his players to his home because he is trying to build relationships and trust in his kids. He has had many players over to his home just to watch a football game, hang out or even babysit his kids (!). He says that they will see a whole different side of him at his home with his daughter on his lap (warm and fuzzy) than when they see him coaching (not so warm and fuzzy). He said his wife plays the “Den Mother” role and helps him with the players. Marshall believes that kids today do desire discipline and will hold them accountable for their actions.

Philosophy: Marshall says that playing hard is not an option, either they will do what he wants or they will sit and watch. He wants the players to “defend like their hair is on fire.” This got a big laugh. He said, I don’t even know what that looks like, but I know if you are defending and your hair is on fire, you must be getting after it. His goals are to be playing basketball every March and says that we have an unbelievable schedule coming up this year with a home schedule that is the best in history. Dave Dahl was in the audience and agreed with this.

Recruits: He joked about how much Ramon Clemente won’t stop talking and how Mantas Griskenas won’t say two words and they are roommates so it works out nicely. He called them Felix and Oscar/ the Odd Couple. He mentioned they are still working on getting Orukpe here from his country but that he had to take a test again after they threw out all 10,000 test results because of suspected fraud. The results were supposed to be in during the third week of Sept. and still no results. He said he will probably be here in December and as soon as he gets here he will probably start. He said Orupke is 7’0” and has a 7’3” wingspan. He said he will be a great post player and he “runs like a deer.” He said he has never had a post player he has not had to develop himself and he is fine with that.
    "Everyone has their own level of comfort, I elected to stay. I sleep well, love where I am, and have a great level of support."
    --Head Coach Gregg Marshall

When I came into this topic, I was thinking "why is Coach comtemplating a lawsuit?"

Comment

plus Coach rocks, there should be more coaches like him and tony dungy

Comment

I had no idea what this was going to be about...

Comment

Good to hear that everyone, including Coach, are really high on Ehimen. I've been hearing it from others who've talked to people but having it come directly from Coach makes me feel even better about it.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

He wants the players to “defend like their hair is on fire.” Now that was a classic. Thanks for this informative report Shockair.
            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

I remembered one other thing, it was one of the best bits of information he told us (I can't believe I forgot this!!!): He said he was in Koch Arena doing some individual player drills and the guys were just doing ok, but weren't really getting after it like he likes. He saw a couple walk in and go way to the top row of the arena, obviously to pick out their seats for the season. He stopped and watched the couple sit in two seats behind a post that would obviously have obstructed their view of the floor. Coach stopped his players and told them to look at the couple, "spending their hard earned money to buy an obstructed view seat" just to watch them play and they had better step it up! Coach then said he followed the couple out to the concourse and thanked them for being good fans and supporting the team. CGM is my hero!
              "Everyone has their own level of comfort, I elected to stay. I sleep well, love where I am, and have a great level of support."
              --Head Coach Gregg Marshall

Comment

Coach is the Tony Dungy of College Basketball - Class Act all the way through! :good:

Comment

If HCGM thinks Orukpe will start upon his arrival, that is some seriously high praise.

Talk about a study in contrasts. Did Turgeon ever heap such praise on a recruit publically?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                    If HCGM thinks Orukpe will start upon his arrival, that is some seriously high praise.

Talk about a study in contrasts. Did Turgeon ever heap such praise on a recruit publically?
                    It is pretty impressive that he would say that without Orupke setting foot in Koch Arena yet. But he will be the only "true" center we will have this year so I'm sure that has something to do with it. But Marshall wouldn't play him if he didn't think he would make an immediate impact, so he may not be all that raw, regardless of what a Baylor fan thinks LOL. I'll trust Marshall and it's exciting to hear. Just wish he could make it for the first semester, but doesn't appear likely.

And no, turgeon always did his best to temper expectations. Marshall doesn't appear afraid of the expectations, he seems to take it head on. I think it has to do with the mentality...to Turgeon we were just another Mid-Major, I think Marshall thinks higher of us at the start of his career here than Turgeon did.
                    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Finally the question is answered on who will develope the big men. 8) 8) :posterwsu:
                      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockair
                        I remembered one other thing, it was one of the best bits of information he told us (I can't believe I forgot this!!!): He said he was in Koch Arena doing some individual player drills and the guys were just doing ok, but weren't really getting after it like he likes. He saw a couple walk in and go way to the top row of the arena, obviously to pick out their seats for the season. He stopped and watched the couple sit in two seats behind a post that would obviously have obstructed their view of the floor. Coach stopped his players and told them to look at the couple, "spending their hard earned money to buy an obstructed view seat" just to watch them play and they had better step it up! Coach then said he followed the couple out to the concourse and thanked them for being good fans and supporting the team. CGM is my hero!
                        Great, great story!

:wsu_posters:

Comment

That story again proves that HCGM is indeed a class act. We learn much about life and people as we play and watch sports. Showing gratitude to these fans makes me respect our new Coach even more. Our players will not just better learn and understand the game of basketball, but will also learn more about life from a Coach who appreciates those that help support this Program.
                          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

I thought I was being optimistic thinking Orupke could develop into a 10 - 15 minute player by Feb-March. Marshall is more optimistic than I am and I suspect Marshall has seen Orupke play.

On the other hand, if PT and JD are playing and practicing to beat out a guy who isn't even there yet, there's a possibility they may step up their games to insure some court time after EO arrives. Saying that EO starts when he gets here could be a prod and motivation to others competing for the Post position.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

great story! thanks for the information. very exciting.
                              veni, vidi, vici

Comment

Working...
                              X