Shocks Bulking Up (or Down)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks Bulking Up (or Down)

Interesting article in today's Eagle regarding strength training philosophy of Coach Marshall vs Coach Turgeon:.

Lift together -- It is safe to use the words "bulk up" again in the weight room.

Former men's basketball coach Mark Turgeon approached weights for his team with a bit of moderation. He preferred lean athletes who were flexible and agile. Bulking up meant getting slower.

That approached worked for Turgeon. WSU strength and conditioning coach Kerry Rosenboom, however, welcomes new coach Gregg Marshall's more intense devotion to lifting.

"Both ways were going to be successful," Rosenboom said. "Coach Marshall's philosophy goes more to what I'm in tune to. Coach Marshall is taking, physically, the team to another level. He goes back to what I call the 'NBA body.' Let's get bigger, stronger, more athletic and be able to move.' "

Rosenboom is thrilled with the results. Eleven players ran their mile in under six minutes and the slowest player's time was 6:38. Those who need to put on pounds -- such as freshman forward Aaron Ellis (up 17 pounds to 199) --are gaining.

"They've come a long way," Marshall said. "There have been some guys who have gotten bigger and stronger."

Redshirt freshman J.T. Durley is one of the players in better shape. Conditioning held him back last season, as he tried to recover from knee surgery. Durley dropped his mile time from 7:50 to 6:38. His weight is down from 245 to 237.

"J.T., never in his wildest dreams thought he would run a 6:38 mile," Rosenboom said. "Now he knows he can do better."

WSU senior P.J. Couisnard said the weights and conditioning reminds him of his early days under Turgeon. Last season the Shockers backed off to account for extra practices and a trip to Canada.

"It's back on that intensity," Couisnard said. "We're back to working real hard. As far as mindset and willingness to want to play and wanting to get after it and working hard, this team is on the same level as Jamar Howard and Randy Burns (seasons)."

__________________________________________________ ___________

I particular liked the part about Aaron Ellis adding 17 pound of muscle and is now up to 199.

Doesn't sound like they are trading off bulk for athleticism either.

Bigger, Stronger, Faster. Or in JT's case. Smaller, Stronger, Faster.

Either way, sounds good to me.

:goshocks:

Many close games come down to "gut checks" at the end of the game. The teams with quality depth and "fuel left in their tanks" are in a superior position to win. Kerry can get past the "comfort zone" and get these players in "tip top" shape. The word "intense" keeps coming up about HCGM regime and that is music to my ears. When we play the SIU and LSU type teams, the weak of heart will not prevail. I can't wait to see our defense in the opponets face from start to finish. Reminds me of a BB game in Junior High. The conversation went something like this:

Coach---"See number 11 over there FSF?"
    FSF---"Yes Coach"
    Coach--"He is there top scorer and I want you in his face guarding him--and I want him contained ---you understand that FSF?"
    FSF--"Yes sir."
    Coach--I'm not sure you do understand FSF. I mean if he goes over to get a drink of water---I want you right there too."
    FSF--"Okay Coach"
    Coach--"Now this guy is good--but he puts on his pants just like the rest of us!!! Now get out there and get in his face and stop him!!!!!!!" GO!!!!!!!!
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Coach: "Way to go FSF. #11 did score 45, but at least he's thirsty!"

:D

Comment

You must have been there 1972!!! Now I am wondering if #11 was AZShocker that lit us up like a Christmas Tree baby!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
          Coach: "Way to go FSF. #11 did score 45, but at least he's thirsty!"

:D
          The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

It's not a secret that HCGM was surprised, and not pleasantly so, with the team's conditioning when he took over.

It will probably take more than one off season to change this course. It will take time, but I promise you it will happen.

Comment

Halftime same game----

Coach--"FSF--see the pine at the end of the bench?"
              FSF--"Yes Coach"
              Coach---"The score is now 45 for #11 and 7 for us. See that pine at the end of the bench?"
              FSF-Yes Sir.
              Coach-"Get on it, and even if you get thirsty--which I'm sure you won't after that display of No D"--stay on it until the game is over!!! You just made #11 look like a poor man's Larry Bird."

Comment

That's good news about Ellis, makes me wonder what Kerry has done for Butler?

Kerry's the expert, he knows how to add strength and power without being overly-bulky. Sounds like Kerry and GM are on the same wave length.

Comment

when did Aaron get here? I ask because it's pretty hard to gain 17 pounds in such amount of time

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDorian
                    when did Aaron get here? I ask because it's pretty hard to gain 17 pounds in such amount of time
                    not really, depending on the person you can add some muscle pretty darn quick with the right program.
                    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

I believe Ellis got here shortly after he committed at the beginning of August. Seems like he was here within a week or so.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Either you are calling somebody a liar or you are implying something unnatural was needed. Which is it?

If your skin and bones and never lifted before it's not that tough to put on weight quickly.

Comment

how dare you accuse me of saying like that? all I said was that much weight that fast is pretty hard to do.

Comment

Sight unseen, I believe we are very solid at the SF position with MG and AE. No matter which of these 2 are on the floor, we will not skip a beat. Next week will help us immensley as we witness first hand so many new faces. No wonder the Chuck is already sold out again. :good:

Comment

Originally posted by Ta town
                              Either you are calling somebody a liar or you are implying something unnatural was needed. Which is it?

If your skin and bones and never lifted before it's not that tough to put on weight quickly.

At that age probably a natural growth spurt! 8) 8)
                              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Working...
                              X