Orukpe Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orukpe Update

This doesn't sound particularly promising in regard to a first semester arrival. Still a chance though.

A young man is granted a college scholarship in the United States of America and the Nigerian goverment can't get things done in time to allow the young man a chance of a lifetime??? wth??? :roll:
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker
      A young man is granted a college scholarship in the United States of America and the Nigerian goverment can't get things done in time to allow the young man a chance of a lifetime??? wth??? :roll:

Unfortunately we are learning, as we go forward in this endeavor, the depth of corruption in a 3rd world country. The really sad thing is that there are a lot WORSE places than Nigeria......sad, sad, sad.

Comment

I think this pretty much eliminates any chance of him being here by next Tuesday (if that is the Tuesday the article mentions) to enroll in late fall classes. If they don't release the test results until next week, there's still all the red-tape to cut through to allow him to leave, if I understand the process.

Comment

It is pretty unthinkable to think that a test he toke in early June can not get graded by this time. It's not like he is the first Nigerian to come over here to play ball.

Comment

Time, however, is running short to get Orukpe into an eight-week session of classes that begins Tuesday.
            I don't understand this statement. Can someone tell me how the academic calendar at WSU works? Does it not run on the typical "semester" designations or does it instead use quarters or something similar? Do the eight week sessions meet everyday? I'm confused ...

If he can't get here until December, what is the consensus among WSU fans? Have him join the team and start playing immediately or redshirt him? Also, if he does redshirt, does anybody know if a redshirt has to be two academic semesters? In other words, if he doesn't get to the US until December (in time for second semester) and then redshirts, does he have to sit out the spring semster this year and then the fall semester next year?

Sorry for all the questions, but it is a pretty unique situation.

Comment

WSU works in the typical semesters. We also offer 8 week classes and these would make him eligible to play right away. I'm not sure how often they meet as I don't know anyone who's done it.

If he gets here in december I expect him to play. From what I've heard they have no desire to redshirt him and feel he could play, and make an impact, right away.

If he were redshirted it would be for the 07-08 season. He'd be able to play at the start of next season.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum
                Time, however, is running short to get Orukpe into an eight-week session of classes that begins Tuesday.
                I don't understand this statement. Can someone tell me how the academic calendar at WSU works? Does it not run on the typical "semester" designations or does it instead use quarters or something similar? Do the eight week sessions meet everyday? I'm confused ...

If he can't get here until December, what is the consensus among WSU fans? Have him join the team and start playing immediately or redshirt him? Also, if he does redshirt, does anybody know if a redshirt has to be two academic semesters? In other words, if he doesn't get to the US until December (in time for second semester) and then redshirts, does he have to sit out the spring semster this year and then the fall semester next year?

Sorry for all the questions, but it is a pretty unique situation.

If he didn't get here until January, for instance, and they decided to redshirt him it would only be for the 07-08 season and he would have 4 years left starting with the very first game in the 08-09 season. It is a moot point, however, as he WILL play when he gets here unless he is injured or past the spring 8 week enrollment time frame.

Comment

DJA, the 8-week thing is what Bill Walker did at KSU last year. That was the first time I knew those were even offerred. I'm guessing they work like a summer course, which IIRC, also run 8 weeks.

The weird thing about Orukpe not playing until after the fall is that he could conceivably play one more semester after his 4th school year. Remember Dave Stallworth's situation?

I wonder how the coaches would handle that.

Comment

I don't think it works like that anymore RS. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure it's just a year by year basis now. Not semester.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                      DJA, the 8-week thing is what Bill Walker did at KSU last year. That was the first time I knew those were even offerred. I'm guessing they work like a summer course, which IIRC, also run 8 weeks.

The weird thing about Orukpe not playing until after the fall is that he could conceivably play one more semester after his 4th school year. Remember Dave Stallworth's situation?

I think 8 week classes typically have class for 6 hours each week (2 different 3 hour sessions). With this in mind, having to be in class 24 hours a week (12 hour class load for eligibility) with practice and homework is very difficult. If he is not eligible for the first semester what is the first game he would be eligbile for?
                      Spoiler Alert: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Comment

I really dislike mid-termers. I remember the Dave Stallworth situation well.

If he does not play in fall '07, but does play in spring '08, I hope he is redshirted in fall '08. It will eliminate the mid-term expiration of elgibility problem. There really isn't a best answer to the mid-term problem.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                          I don't think it works like that anymore RS. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure it's just a year by year basis now. Not semester.
                          Sub, I believe you are correct... that's the way I understand the current rules... I believe it's found on page 10,000 of the NCAA manual. :D
                          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Smooth007

I think 8 week classes typically have class for 6 hours each week (2 different 3 hour sessions). With this in mind, having to be in class 24 hours a week (12 hour class load for eligibility) with practice and homework is very difficult. If he is not eligible for the first semester what is the first game he would be eligbile for?
                            UMKC on Dec 15
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Is that right? I thought that Bill Walker didn't start playing until the first semester was over, but I could be wrong.

Originally posted by Smooth007
                              As I understand the rules, if one isn't eligible or otherwise doesn't play the first semester, they can start playing immediately after the end of the first semester, even though classes for the second semester don't start for several weeks thereafter. I thought that was what Bill Walker did....

Comment

Working...
                              X