Orukpe Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Year by year

Yes, the Stallworth deal can't happen anymore. Everything is by academic year, and starting after the end of the first semester has the same impact in terms of eligibility as starting at the beginning of the year.

The good news is that in basketball the first semester is usually pretty insignificant in terms of games. The bad news is that there's a lot of practice time with your coaches and teammates to be had during the first semester that you lose if you're stuck in Nigeria somewhere.

Comment

Thanks for the updates on the eligibility rule. I'm glad to hear they changed it.

Comment

The first 4 "second-semester" games are at UMKC, then home games against LSU, UAB, DU and IlSt. Not much travel there - and it's over semester break. That favors working a new player into the lineup quickly.

I expect Orupke will play from the day he's eligible. Athletic 7' players who can run the floor don't tend to be 4-year players. A second-semester RS would give Orupke an entire extra year of eligibility, but there's a possibility that year would never be used.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Perhaps we can gleam some advantage out of this unfortunate situation and make it work in the long run to our advantage. Eze Frank is probably very well aware of all all the trouble that Orukpe has run into. So we should do everything in our power to convince him as to why he should sign with us early on so that he has plenty of time to overcome the same similar problems that likely will face him.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum
            Time, however, is running short to get Orukpe into an eight-week session of classes that begins Tuesday.
            I don't understand this statement. Can someone tell me how the academic calendar at WSU works? Does it not run on the typical "semester" designations or does it instead use quarters or something similar? Do the eight week sessions meet everyday? I'm confused ...

If he can't get here until December, what is the consensus among WSU fans? Have him join the team and start playing immediately or redshirt him? Also, if he does redshirt, does anybody know if a redshirt has to be two academic semesters? In other words, if he doesn't get to the US until December (in time for second semester) and then redshirts, does he have to sit out the spring semster this year and then the fall semester next year?

Sorry for all the questions, but it is a pretty unique situation.
            you just double up 8 week classes, typically general type classes are offered in 16 week or 8 week classes. Such as Comp I, II, Speech, Financial acct, and other freshman/sophomore type classes. For a 3 credit hour class you would go to class twice a week for three hours instead of twice a week for 1.5 hours.

Comment

This Coach and AD have a habit of under promising and over delivering. I hope this is the case here. Time will tell shortly.

Comment

IMO, in corruption countries, people use money to speed up the process (done by the officials). It's too late now to use this approach.
                I guess if the coaches know that a test score would take longer than 3 months, they probably would send someone there to push the grader (using some incentive, of course)
                Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive. (Mt 21:22)

Comment

Yes indeed----who knows if Dave the Rave Stallworth could have sit out the 1st semester, and played the 2nd semester his Senior year, if we would not had been National Champions that year we played Bill Bradley and company in the Final 4. Dave's impact in each game was beyond huge as a Shocker.

When EO does get here, depending on the timing, it would be hard not to get him playing this Season because we could use an inside force. If he does not make 1st semester, but plays the 2nd semester, am I understanding here we could simply sit him out 1st Semester next year to get him the 4 full years?

In the meanwhile, we will be better versed and prepared for future recruits from the pipeline that could continue for years to come from Nigeria. My fingers and toes are all crossed in hopes that we also get Benjamin Eze Frank in here for next year. Add Noel and we are all the way to the N-C-A-A as a serious contender. If If If
                  Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by T.VuOP
                    IMO, in corruption countries, people use money to speed up the process (done by the officials). It's too late now to use this approach. I guess if the coaches know that a test score would take longer than 3 months, they probably would send someone there to push the grader (using some incentive, of course)
                    They are called facilitating payments (aka grease payments). You would have to check with a lawyer but the last I heard they were not illegal so long as it was just a bribe to move the process faster (i.e. its not to effect a decision). I'm sure the NCAA has some rule against it though.

I remember taking ACCT 210 as a 4 week class out at WSU. I'm surprised there are no 4 week classes being offered now. Maybe it was summer only. Been ages since I took it.

Wonder if WSU would want to add a nice 4 week course on chess (taught by twice city champion). :whistle:

Comment

The ideal situation would be to have EO this semester...but I will still be glad to have him for the spring semester. The difficulty of getting someone out of Nigeria is underscored by the fact that our DOBO is from Nigeria and we still have not completed this project.
                      "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
                      which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

I wonder what the chances are for getting him here in time for even the Spring semester. I mean if it's taken 3 months and still nobody in Nigeria has graded his test...what's the guarentee that they will have this completed for the Spring???

Geez...the poor kid has worked his butt off to become D-1 material (classroom and athletically) but he's sitting there in limbo. He's got to be dying to get on with his college life!
                        FINAL FOURS:
                        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                        Number of Times Ranked: 157
                        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                        #3 - Dec. 2017
                        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                        #2 ~ March 2014
                        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by T.VuOP
                          IMO, in corruption countries, people use money to speed up the process (done by the officials). It's too late now to use this approach.
                          I guess if the coaches know that a test score would take longer than 3 months, they probably would send someone there to push the grader (using some incentive, of course)
                          According to a little birdy this is exactly the case. As bad as we all want him here there's no need to cross the line.

Comment

The only man that can get him out of Nigeria is.........wait for it.....

JACK BAUER! :clap:

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDorian
                              The only man that can get him out of Nigeria is.........wait for it.....

JACK BAUER! :clap:
                              Isn't he in jail?

I do hope he can get here by December, so that he can meet his teammates and learn the system a little. Christmas break allows for more than the 20 hour rule, account there isn't classes in session. This is also a good time for a newbie to get with the program.

Comment

FSF

No, FSF, that isn't correct. As I said before, semesters are irrelevant in terms of your overall eligibility to play nowadays.

For instance, a player could be academically ineligible one semester and eligible the next, but if so the semester he played would use up that school year in terms of his eligibility. It's all about years, of which you get four to play; and once a year begins, if you play at any time -- barring a special exception like a medical "hardship" situation -- you've used up that year.

Comment

Working...
                                X