Toure Murry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toure Murry

Good article off RCSsports.com after a the Great American Shootout this weekend in Houston. He is currently a top 20 player in Texas.

UNDEFEATED TEAMS (8):
    Alief Taylor (beat HCYA, Langham Creek, A&M Consolidated)
    Clear Lake (with 3 double digit wins over Humble, Angleton, and Westside)
    Klein Forest (beat Hightower, Hastings, Cy Springs)
    Kingwood (beat Flower Mound, Clear Creek, Austin Bowie)
    LaPorte (beat Marshall, Elkins, Westfield)
    Strake Jesuit (beat Klein Collins, Westside, Hastings)
    Wheatley (beat Humble, Kempner, St Thomas)
    Lewisville (beat Cy Springs, Klein Collins, and Cy Fair)

PLAYER STOCK: BUY THESE (10)!
    Toure Murry 6'3 sr (Klein Forest) - the rim he's shooting on must be a couple inches wider because this kid was on fire. Led the entire three game event in scoring with 78pts, including a 36pt (8 treys) outburst against Cy Springs in the nightcap.Phillip McDonald 6'5 sr (Cy Springs) - scored 26 and 35pts before sitting out most of the final game. Although he got dunked on, that was only 2pts. Phil still took care of his business offensively.
    Delvan White 6'2 sr (Elkins) - The strong bouncy guard is officially one of the area's Top 10 Sleepers.
    JJ Sterns 6'0' sr (Wheatley) - One of the most under respected shooters in the area. At this very moment, we are officially on the JJ Sterns wagon. His senior leadership and passion to win was beneficial for the Wildcats.
    Ryan Baker 6'4 sr (Cy Fair) - You guys may remember his from the Jr Hardballers & Hstn Swoosh this past summer. He doesn't have much support around him, but this list isn't about teams - it's productivity, and Baker's output per minute was near tops at this event.
    Garrett Brown 6'2 jr (Angleton) - hit 32pts including game winner in opener vs Northshore. Followed with 13pts and 20pts.
    Austin Brown 6'3 sr (Lewisville HS) - the dunk was cool, but Brown still managed to average double digits.
    Austin Clauch 5'9 sr (Strake Jesuit) - May not pass your eye test, but he can fill every coaches' satisfaction at running a team
    Nick James 6'6 sr (Kingwood) - set out to prove we had him listed too low in our Fall Rankings list. Scored 11pts in the first four minutes vs Flower Mound. Also scored game high 14pts in win over Austin Bowie. Plain and simple, James made open shots an easy task to complete on Saturday.
    Tevin Holmes 6'5 jr (Hastings) - His added weight didn't seem to effect his productivity. Nicknamed "T Bone", had 24pts in loss to Klein Forest, 21pts in win over Cy Fair, and 14pts in loss to Strake Jesuit

Article from TexasHoops.com

He was going to be making an official visit to Wichita State this weekend. But Toure Murry already knew where he wanted to go to school. So after talking things over with those close to him, the lanky 6-foot-3, 160-pound guard from Klein Forest High School decided to make his intentions known. The Shockers coaches came into his home for a visit on Monday night, and that's when he spilled the beans to the staff.

"I made my decision with my family and I decided to go ahead and do it," Murry said. "(The coaches) jumped up and hugged me when I told them. They were really excited. The reason why I picked them is that they have a great offense to play in and they have a great fan base - it's a sold-out crowd every night. They play a tough schedule and I feel comfortable with the coaches too."

Murry had made an unofficial visit to Wichita State campus earlier and liked what he saw, but he held off on a commitment then. But the more and more he thought about the Shockers, he knew the right fit was right in front of his face both on and off the court.

"They plan on using me as a combo guard, so I'll play the one and the two," Murry said. "They also said that I'll probably play a lot as they're graduating two seniors (in the backcourt)."

Murry knows that the jump from high school ball to mid-major action is a big one. The still-growing senior understands that physically he'll need to be ready. "I want to work on my strength," Murry said. "They really want me to get up to par on my strength, so I'll need to work on that (this season)."

Texas Hoops Analysis: TOURE saw his stock shoot threw the roof this summer as he showed a whole new level to his game. He has grown significantly in the last 6 months and is playing with a new confidence and zip to his game. He is a very good shooter who can really stroke it from the 3 point line, can put it on the floor and finish in the paint, has good speed in the open court and can handle it and makes good decision with the ball. He has very long arms, gets a lot of deflections and steals, will sneak in and grab some rebounds from the wing and has a good understanding of the

toure's a freakin' steal for us

Comment

"toure's a freakin' steal for us"

Agreed! By the time he's a freshman he may be a 6-6 stud SG!
      Livin the dream

Comment

SA-WEET-NESS-----
        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan

I still like the combo guard role for Toure. Magic showed us that a PG can be tall (6'9").
          Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Sounds like he played on a pretty solid high school team. 3 of the starting 5 received scholarships.

Comment

And as has been mentioned here a few times, 2 others from last year's team went D1. One of them to Bradley.

Comment

How is he a "steal" when we were the only school he wanted to attend? We didn't steal him from anybody. Get used to to people. Kids are going to want to play at WSU and we will be getting BCS caliber players.

Comment

Originally posted by lemuel777

How is he a "steal" when we were the only school he wanted to attend? We didn't steal him from anybody. Get used to to people. Kids are going to want to play at WSU and we will be getting BCS caliber players.
                  The term "a steal" does not refer to stealing a guy away from other schools, but rather that you got a guy that turns out to be a much better player than most other schools realized and by the time they do it's too late to recruit him.

The equivalent would be paying 50 cents for a jar at a garage sale that turns out to be from the Ming Dynasty. You would say you got a "steal", not because you stole it from someone else who recognized its value, but because other people didn't realize how much it was worth.
                  "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Capt. Analogy makes an appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle
                      Does he wear a cape and tights? :shock:

With hair in a bun like an old English teacher? :D

Carrying a ruler or Webster's dictionary as the instrument against evil? :roll:
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter

The term "a steal" does not refer to stealing a guy away from other schools, but rather that you got a guy that turns out to be a much better player than most other schools realized and by the time they do it's too late to recruit him.

The equivalent would be paying 50 cents for a jar at a garage sale that turns out to be from the Ming Dynasty. You would say you got a "steal", not because you stole it from someone else who recognized its value, but because other people didn't realize how much it was worth.
                        Great explaination of what a steal is but it doesn't apply in this case. BCS schools did want him and new his value and didn't get him because he didn't want them (verbally committing so soon). What I am saying is we don't have to look for the "steals" anymore. I can't wait tell November.

Comment

Great explaination of what a steal is but it doesn't apply in this case. BCS schools did want him and new his value and didn't get him because he didn't want them (verbally committing so soon). What I am saying is we don't have to look for the "steals" anymore. I can't wait tell November.
                          Except that those schools started recruiting him late because they didn't notice him until his big summer. That is not the same as beating out schools for a guy that has been highly rated going into his junior year in high school if not before. I'm not saying we can't beat other schools for highly rated recruits or that we have to depend on getting steals, but I think Toure being a late bloomer that we got in on earlier than others (with a coach the family already knew because he recruited the older brothers of Toure) qualifies him as a steal for us.
                          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle
                            Captain Logic.

Comment

This actually happned to me once, but it was a fake Ming Dynasty piece.

Comment

Working...
                              X