Props to JS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Props to JS

Never saw this topic from an article a few days ago in the Wichita Eagle...

In the black -- For the eight straight year, WSU will finish its fiscal year on the plus side, with a profit of around $100,000, according to athletic director Jim Schaus.

Schaus said the numbers, while still being audited, are close enough to final for public consumption. The fiscal year ended June 30. He said it is typical for the final accounting to continue into the fall as items such as donations and payments continue to reconcile with expenses.

"I'll take any year we're in the black," he said.

WSU's athletic budget is $10.8 million. Its biggest revenue sources are Shocker Athletic Scholarship Organization donations, ticket sales, sponsors and student fees. Among the biggest expenses are scholarships, for which the athletic department writes the university a check, personnel and travel.
    Extremely impressive.

I wonder how often a D1 school is in the black. I understand that not having football helps as football is very expensive to operate, but regardless I'm sure its a very short list.
    That rug really tied the room together.

Comment

Originally posted by rZ
      I wonder how often a D1 school is in the black. I understand that not having football helps as football is very expensive to operate, but regardless I'm sure its a very short list.
      I think SASO is the largest source of funding. Any program can be in the black with enough donations. On the other hand, I think JS does a good job.
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by rZ
        According to published numbers from the 2004 academic year, the D1 schools with decent D1-A football programs or elite basketball programs make TONS of money. Millions.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
          Originally posted by rZ
          According to published numbers from the 2004 academic year, the D1 schools with decent D1-A football programs or elite basketball programs make TONS of money. Millions.
          There's probably around 20 or 30 that do. That has to do with the tv packages they have and the merchandise they sell. But it is possible. I believe the Duke's, UNC's and Michigan's all make millions off of merchandise alone.

Comment

Keep in mind that Ohio State makes the most off of their football program, clearing over 60 million. It is indeed the biggest of all cash cows. But... it is sorely needed to fund all of the non-revenue generating sports, primarily women's programs. 8)
            Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockRef
              Keep in mind that Ohio State makes the most off of their football program, clearing over 60 million. It is indeed the biggest of all cash cows. But... it is sorely needed to fund all of the non-revenue generating sports, primarily women's programs. 8)
              Sixty million buys a lot of sports bras...

T

...8)

Comment

I would be happy if JS found a way to fill up the 'Corporate seats' that are never occupied, or if they are, it is very little.

Comment

Ohio State participates in a lot of sports, both men and women. And only 2 sports make any money. Plenty of men's programs aren't pulling in jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                    I would be happy if JS found a way to fill up the 'Corporate seats' that are never occupied, or if they are, it is very little.

We aren't the only program that has this problem. I agree it is a problem but those corporate dollars drive the budget.......It is a necessary evil.

The marketplace is a start (and a good start imho) to try to overcome this issue. It should be better this year and continue to improve.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu

We aren't the only program that has this problem. I agree it is a problem but those corporate dollars drive the budget.......It is a necessary evil.

The marketplace is a start (and a good start imho) to try to overcome this issue. It should be better this year and continue to improve.
                      The corporate sponsor, who now owns my former seats, sometimes has as many as 10-12 empty seats at games. Maybe more. He has two complete rows. Sometimes, there is hardly anyone in any of the seats.

As you can tell, I still do a slow burn over the way my seats were taken from me.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog
                        Ohio State participates in a lot of sports, both men and women. And only 2 sports make any money. Plenty of men's programs aren't pulling in jack.
                        And if it wasn't for the men's sports MAKING the money, just how would colleges finance our little Title IX equal opportunity ventures? 8)
                        Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockRef
                          Originally posted by CharlieHog
                          And if it wasn't for the men's sports MAKING the money, just how would colleges finance our little Title IX equal opportunity ventures? 8)

Football and men's basketball finance MEN's and WOMEN's sports. Men's tennis. Men's golf. Men's swimming. Men's soccer. Men's gymnastics. Men's baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu

I’m guessing most corporate sponsors will never go the way of the ticket marketplace. They usually hold on to them either waiting to take clients to the game or the big-wigs wait to see if their social calendar is clear. If neither scenario plays out then they might be offered to employees and/or go unused.

Comment

Does WSU baseball make money or lose money? My guess is that it makes money (when donations to baseball, the money for ads in Eck Stadium, etc. are included in the baseball income total).
                              Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Working...
                              X