No announcement yet.

This Might Be a Dumb Idea, but .......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Might Be a Dumb Idea, but .......

In the past, I attended 4 or 5 breakfasts with Coach Turgeon. It was OK, but hardly enlightening.

The morning breakfast with Coach Marshall is on August 30.

To increase the interest of Coach Marshall's remarks, I propose to write a letter to Coach Marshall and suggest some topics.

If the forum members think this is a good idea, I would like to have your suggestions. I will include them in the letter.

If few offer suggestions or there is a torrent of nay sayers, then I will abandon the notion.

Here are a couple of topics, which I would like to hear about as follows:

1. An update on Orupke.
    2. What is your general philosophy about offense and defense?
    3. Do you play zone? If so, under what conditions and how often?
    4. What is your general philosophy about scheduling?
    5. How often will you have three guards on the floor? What drives the decision? How about four guards?
    6. Regarding stats, which are the most important to you and why?
    7. How often will the team travel fly to games as opposed to bus travel?

Some of these questions may be self-explanatory, but I still would like to hear his answers.

those are some quality questions.

I'd like to hear the answer to them.
    I, personally, can't think of anymore questions.
    veni, vidi, vici

Comment

GM Breakfast Speech

If you pull this off, I'd be interested in reading GM's answers here later. We'll be on vacation in CO on Aug 30th, so I can't attend the breakfast.

Comment

RDR,

Great idea. Your a man among boys.

I guess whatever questions don't get answered at the breakfast can be answered at our next luncheon? Right?

Comment

Re: This Might Be a Dumb Idea, but .......

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
          In the past, I attended 4 or 5 breakfastes with Coach Turgeon. It was OK, but hardly enlightening.

The morning breakfast with Coach Marshall is on August 30.

To increase the interest of Coach Marshall's remarks, I propose to write a letter to Coach Marshall and suggest some topics.

If the forum members think this is a good idea, I would like to have your suggestions. I will include them in the letter.

If few offer suggestions or there is a torrent of nay sayers, then I will abandon the notion.

Here are a couple of topics, which I would like to hear about as follows:

1. An update on Orupke.
          2. What is your general philosophy about offense and defense?
          3. Do you play zone? If so, under what conditions and how often?
          4. What is your general philosophy about scheduling?
          5. How often will you have three guards on the floor? What drives the decision? How about four guards?
          6. Regarding stats, which are the most important to you and why?
          7. How often will the team travel fly to games as opposed to bus travel?

Some of these questions may be self-explanatory, but I still would like to hear his answers.

#2, #3 & #5 sound like the barber shop meeting in Hoosiers. I'd eliminate those for sure.

#4 and #6 I like a lot. I would also be curious if they "stat" practices and if yes, which ones (floor burns, that sort of thing).

I would be interested in hearing some goals that they set as a team. I'll never forget Eddie Fogler telling me their short term goal was to beat Central Michigan and their long term goal was to win the National Championship.

On a personal note, I would like to know what he and his family think about our fair city so far and if there is anything that he misses about home or likes better about Wichita.

Comment

So far, there have been 105 views.

The number of suggestions relative to views is pretty small. Not too encouraging.

I do appreciate the comments so far.

Barber shop?

Comment

I agree with Wu.
              Eliminate 2, 3, and 5.

I'm really interested in the strategy or philosophy behind scheduling.

I'd love to hear something positive about Durley from the coach that wasn't coachspeak.

Somebody ask him if we can please, PLEASE do away with the ridiculous slam dunk contest at the Open House? I'd rather see a 3 point shooting contest or free throw contest where each player is given a minute or two to make as many as he can.

Uder dan dat, I non't know what it's none of ar bizness what he play zone or man.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with questions 2, 3, and 5. Yes they were asked in Hoosiers, but when he answered, everyone told him why he was wrong. Asking his thoughts so we know what to expect is certainly ok in my book.
                Livin the dream

Comment

Last years contest was lame.
                  If we get some guys that can actually do something Then keep it

RDR it all sounds good to me man.

I know it sounds vague. But I think its awesome.

Comment

I think that what you have proposed is a great idea. The only question I'd omit would be #5 - it is too early for him to know the answer.

:wsu_posters:
                    "If you're going to do it, you're going to do it right," athletic director Jim Schaus said. "If we're going to put 'Wichita State' across our chest, then every team is going to matter."

Comment

See the Rotary Club post as he touched on 1 and 2 today. I would also like to know what's his assessment of the local high school talent.

Comment

RDR...I thought you were the resident English professor? What are "breakfastes?"

If I have the wrong poster...I apologize for my friendly jab :D

Comment

I think I agree on the #5. He doesn't even know his team yet, so it would be very difficult to answer.

Other than that, those are very good questions. If nothing else, it would be helpful for coach to know what the fans would like to hear about. I suppose after 5 or so of these, he'll probably run out of stuff to talk about as well.

Comment

How about his experiences facing other Valley schools? Has he ever as a head coach? What are his thoughts on the other schools in our league?

Comment

Not to put down anyone's suggestions, but in this instance I think opinion questions regarding anything but the team would be kind of pointless. It is a sure fire way to get "coach speak." The last thing he wants to do is say something that can be used against him at some later date. Thus all of his answers will be full of praise, whether worthy or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X